- List of municipalities in Ontario
In Ontario the term "municipality" refers to various forms of local government (including cities, counties, regional municipalities, towns, townships, villages, and confusingly, governments called municipalities) that provide services.
Two possible arrangements of local government exist:
- One level of governance: a unitary authority (also referred to as a "single-tier" municipality) is responsible for providing all services.
- Two levels of governance: a county (or regional municipality) shares service responsibilities with constituent towns, cities, townships, and villages. These municipalities may be referred to as "upper-tier" and "lower-tier", respectively.
Sparsely populated Northern Ontario mostly lacks local government, instead using provincially-contracted local services boards to provide services. The exception is larger centres, which have unitary authorities. Although Northern Ontario can be divided into districts, these divisions are used only for census purposes.
- 1 Unitary authority ("Single-tier") configuration
- 2 Two-level ("Upper- and lower-tier") configuration
- 3 Notes
This style of local government is found in two contexts:
- The result of a provincially-mandated merger of a county with its constituent municipalities.
- An independent city, in Southern Ontario formed by leaving the county.
Result of merger
- County of Brant
- Chatham–Kent, formerly Kent County (seat in Chatham)
- Greater Sudbury, formerly the Regional Municipality of Sudbury
- Haldimand County, formerly half of the Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk (seat in Cayuga)
- Hamilton, formerly the Hamilton-Wentworth Regional Municipality
- Kawartha Lakes, formerly Victoria County (seat in Lindsay)
- Norfolk County, formerly half of the Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk (seat in Simcoe)
- Ottawa, formerly the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton
- Prince Edward County (seat in Picton)
- Toronto, formerly Metropolitan Toronto
Independent cities in Southern Ontario, and their former counties
- Barrie - Simcoe County
- Belleville - Hastings County
- Brantford - County of Brant
- Brockville - Leeds & Grenville County
- Gananoque - Leeds & Grenville County
- Guelph - Wellington County
- Kingston - Frontenac County
- London - Middlesex County
- Orillia - Simcoe County
- Pembroke - Renfrew County
- Peterborough - Peterborough County
- Prescott - Leeds & Grenville County
- Quinte West - Hastings County
- Smiths Falls - Lanark County
- St. Marys - Perth County
- St. Thomas - Elgin County
- Stratford - Perth County
- Windsor - Essex County
Independent cities in Northern Ontario
Two-level ("Upper- and lower-tier") configuration
Regional municipalities and constituents
- East Zorra-Tavistock
- South-West Oxford
Counties and constituents
- ^ List of Ontario municipalities. Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Restructuring maps of Ontario. Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. Retrieved 2011-06-08.
- ^ Municipalities in Ontario. Association of Municipalities of Ontario. Retrieved 2011-06-08.
Subdivisions of Ontario Regions Counties Districts Regional municipalities Single-tier municipalities Separated municipalities Alberta
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
- Northwest Territories
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.