- Middlesex County, Ontario
Middlesex County — County — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country Canada Province Ontario County seat London Municipalities Area – County 3,317.15 km2 (1,280.8 sq mi) Population (2006) – County 69,024 – Density 20.8/km2 (53.9/sq mi) – Metro 422,333 Time zone EST (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) Website www.middlesex.ca
Middlesex County (2006 population 69,024) is a primarily rural county in Southwestern Ontario. Landlocked, the county is bordered by Huron and Perth counties on the north, Oxford County on the east, Elgin County on the south, and Chatham-Kent and Lambton County on the west.
The seat is the city of London, although the city is politically independent from the county. The census division of Middlesex, which consists of the county together with the city of London, had a population of 422,333 in 2006, making it Canada's 16th largest. The county is also included in the London census metropolitan area.
Middlesex County is composed of eight incorporated municipalities and three First Nations reserves:
Townships and villages:
- Adelaide Metcalfe, Township of
- Communities: Adelaide, Crathie, Dejong, Kerwood, Keyser, Mullifarry, Napier, Napperton, Springfield, Walkers and Wrightmans Corners.
- Lucan Biddulph, Township of
- Communities: Biddulph, Clandeboye, Granton, Lucan.
- Middlesex Centre, Township of
- Communities: Arva, Ballymote, Birr, Bryanston, Coldstream, Delaware, Denfield, Duncrief, Elginfield, Ettrick, Ilderton, Ivan, Kilworth, Komoka, Littlewood, Lobo, Lobo Siding, Maple Grove, Melrose, Poplar Hill, Sharon, Southgate, Southwold, Telfer and Vanneck.
- Newbury, Village of
- North Middlesex, Municipality of (township)
- Communities:Ailsa Craig, Beechwood, Bornish, Bowood, Brinsley, Carlisle, Corbett, Greenway, Hungry Hollow, Lieury, Moray, Mount Carmel, Nairn, Parkhill, Sable, Springbank, Sylvan and West McGillivray.
- Southwest Middlesex, Municipality of (township)
- Communities: Appin, Ekfrid, Glencoe, Lewis Corners, Macksville, Mayfair, Newbury Station, North Appin Station, North Ekfrid, North Glencoe Station, Riverside, Strathburn, Tate Corners, Wardsville and Woodgreen.
- Strathroy-Caradoc, Township of
- Communities: Cairngorm, Campbellvale, Caradoc, Christina, Falconbridge, Glen Oak, Longwood, Melbourne, Mount Brydges, Muncey and Strathroy.
- Thames Centre, Municipality of (township)
- Communities: Avon, Belton, Cherry Grove, Crampton, Cobble Hill, Derwent, Devizes, Dorchester, Evelyn, Fanshawe Lake, Friendly Corners, Gladstone, Harrietsville, Kelly Station, Mossley, Nilestown, Oliver, Plover Mills, Putnam, Salmonville, Silvermoon, Thorndale, Three Bridges and Wellburn.
First Nations reserves:
The City of London, including the annexations below, is now politically independent from Middlesex County:
- Old London East (Formerly their own Incorporated town (Annexed by London 1885)
- Wortley Village (annexed by London in 1890)
- Petersville (Kensington) (annexed by London in 1897)
- Pottersburg (annexed by London about 1905; population increase was required to allow public transit to operate on Sunday).
- Byron (annexed by London in 1961)
- Broughdale (annexed by London in 1961)
- Masonville (annexed by London in 1961)
- Lambeth (annexed by London in 1993)
- Westminster (annexed by London in 1993)
- Glanworth (annexed by London in 1993)
- Hyde Park (annexed by London)
- Crumlin (annexed by London)
- Fanshawe (annexed by London)
- Brockley (annexed by London)
- Scottsville (annexed by London)
- ^ a b c d "Community highlights for Middlesex". 2006. http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/data/profiles/community/Details/Page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CD&Code1=3539&Geo2=PR&Code2=35&Data=Count&SearchText=Middlesex&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=35&B1=All&Custom=. Retrieved 2007-12-28.
Subdivisions of Ontario Regions Counties Districts Regional municipalities Single-tier municipalities Separated municipalities
- Adelaide Metcalfe, Township of
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.