- West Grey, Ontario
West Grey — Township — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country Canada Province Ontario County Grey Settled Formed January 1, 2001 Government – Mayor Kevin Eccles – Federal riding Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound – Prov. riding Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound Area – Land 875.37 km2 (338 sq mi) Population (2006) – Total 12,193 – Density 13.9/km2 (36/sq mi) Time zone EST (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) Postal Code N0G 1R0 Area code(s) 519 and 226 Website www.westgrey.com
West Grey is a township in western Ontario, Canada, in Grey County spanning across the River Styx, the Rocky Saugeen River, the Beatty Saugeen River, and the South Saugeen River. Unlike most rural communities, West Grey maintains its own police force, the West Grey Police Service.
The municipality was formed on January 1, 2001, when the former Townships of Bentinck, Glenelg, and Normanby, the Village of Neustadt, and the Town of Durham were amalgamated in a county-wide reorganization.
The Municipality of West Grey comprises the communities of Aberdeen, Allan Park, Alsfeldt, Ayton, Barhead, Bentinck, Biemans Corners, Bunessan, Calderwood, Crawford, Durham, Edge Hill, Elmwood, Glen, Glenelg Centre, Habermehl, Hampden, Irish Lake, Lamlash, Lauderbach, Lauriston, Louise, Moltke, Mulock, Nenagh, Pomona, Priceville, Rocky Saugeen, Topcliff, Traverston, Vickers, Waudby and Welbeck.
- Population: 12,193
- % Change (2001-2006): 3.8
- Area (km²): 875.37
- Density (persons per km²): 13.9
- Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 4719 (total dwellings: 5265)
- Population in 2006: 12,193
- Population in 2001: 11,741
- Population total in 1996: 11,499
- Bentinck (township): 3597
- Durham (town): 2641
- Glenelg (township): 2136
- Neustadt (village): 568
- Normanby (township): 2678
- Population in 1991:
- Bentinck (township): 3463
- Durham (town): 2558
- Glenelg (township): 1871
- Neustadt (village): 551
- Normanby (township): 2797
- ^ a b c "West Grey community profile". 2006 Census data. Statistics Canada. http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/prof/92-591/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CSD&Code1=3542004&Geo2=PR&Code2=35&Data=Count&SearchText=West%20Grey&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&Custom=. Retrieved 2011-01-24.
- ^ Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006 census
- Municipality of West Grey
- The County of Grey Geographic Information Systems
- Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority
Arran–Elderslie Chatsworth Brockton
West Grey Howick Minto Wellington North
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.