- Deal, New Jersey
Deal, New Jersey — Borough — Coordinates: 40°14′52″N 73°59′50″W / 40.24778°N 73.99722°WCoordinates: 40°14′52″N 73°59′50″W / 40.24778°N 73.99722°W Country United States State New Jersey County Monmouth Incorporated March 7, 1898 Government – Type Walsh Act (New Jersey) – Mayor Harry I. Franco (2012) Area – Total 1.3 sq mi (3.4 km2) – Land 1.2 sq mi (3.1 km2) – Water 0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2) Elevation 26 ft (8 m) Population (2010) – Total 750 – Density 571.3/sq mi (220.6/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP code 07723 Area code(s) 732 FIPS code 34-16660 GNIS feature ID 0885194 Website http://www.dealborough.com/
Deal is a borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 Census, the borough population was 750.
Deal was incorporated as a borough on March 7, 1898, by an act of the New Jersey Legislature, from portions of Ocean Township.
Deal boasts a significant population of Orthodox Sephardic Jews, mainly of Syrian extraction. In the 2000 Census, 16.4% of Deal residents identified as being of Syrian heritage, the greatest percentage of Syrian Americans in any municipality in the country. Deal's population swells to over 6,000 during the summer, many of them Syrian Jews.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2), of which 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), or 6.20%, is water.
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1930 800 — 1940 917 14.6% 1950 1,064 16.0% 1960 1,889 77.5% 1970 2,401 27.1% 1980 1,952 −18.7% 1990 1,179 −39.6% 2000 1,070 −9.2% 2010 750 −29.9% Population 1930 - 1990.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,070 people, 434 households, and 289 families residing in the borough. The population density was 880.5 people per square mile (338.6/km2). There were 953 housing units at an average density of 784.3 per square mile (301.6/km2). The racial makeup of the borough was 94.39% White, 1.21% African American, 0.09% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 2.71% from other races, and 1.31% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.05% of the population.
There were 434 households out of which 19.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.2% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.2% were non-families. 29.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the borough the population was spread out with 20.5% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 21.9% from 25 to 44, 23.0% from 45 to 64, and 26.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 100.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.7 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $58,472, and the median income for a family was $65,313. Males had a median income of $57,857 versus $27,813 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $38,510. About 7.8% of families and 11.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.0% of those under age 18 and 6.6% of those age 65 or over.
Operation Bid Rig
In the summer of 2009, a few prominent residents of Deal were involved in a scandal called Operation Bid Rig, which involved public corruption, money laundering, and trafficking of human organs.
The Deal School District serves public school students in Kindergarten through eighth grade. Deal School served an enrollment of 107 students as of the 2005-06 school year.
For grades 9-12, students attend Asbury Park High School in neighboring Asbury Park as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Asbury Park Public Schools.
Houses of worship
- Edmond J. Safra Synagogue of Deal, the Hathaway Avenue Synagogue (Orthodox, Syrian Traditions)
- Hechal Shaul Synagogue, Ahaba Ve Ahva (Orthodox, Egyptian Traditions)
- Magen David of West Deal, (Orthodox, Syrian Traditions)
- Ohel Yaakob, the Lawrence Avenue Synagogue (Orthodox, Syrian Traditions)
- Synagogue of Deal, (Orthodox, Syrian Traditions)
- Saint Mary's of the Assumption, at Richmond Avenue (Roman Catholic)
- Patti Scialfa, member of the E Street Band, wife of Bruce Springsteen
- Ashley Tisdale, actress and singer
- ^ 2005 New Jersey Legislative District Data Book, Rutgers University Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, April 2005, p. 58.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Borough of Deal, Geographic Names Information System, accessed October 24, 2007.
- ^ a b "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Deal borough, New Jersey". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ A Cure for the Common Codes: New Jersey, Missouri Census Data Center. Accessed July 14, 2008.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ Deal’s History, accessed May 28, 2006.
- ^ Syrian Communities, accessed May 28, 2006.
- ^ It's a Summer Thing; For Like-Minded New Yorkers, a Season of Separation, The New York Times, accessed May 26, 1996.
- ^ New Jersey Resident Population by Municipality: 1930 - 1990, Workforce New Jersey Public Information Network. Accessed March 1, 2007.
- ^ Data for the Deal School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 25, 2008.
- ^ Mullen, Shannon; Shields, Nancy; and Matheson, Kathy. "Crime, school solutions costly as city seeks rebirth", Asbury Park Press, January 27, 2005. Accessed September 3, 2007. "Academy Charter, now in its seventh year, is free to students in Asbury Park and the seven nearby towns that are sending districts for Asbury Park High School: Allenhurst, Avon, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Deal, Interlaken and Lake Como, formerly South Belmar."
- Deal Borough website
- Deal School District
- Deal School's 2009–10 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Deal School District, National Center for Education Statistics
State of New Jersey Topics Regions
- Atlantic Coastal Plain
- Central Jersey
- Delaware River Region
- Delaware Valley
- Gateway Region
- Gold Coast
- Jersey Shore
- New York metro area
- North Hudson
- North Jersey
- Pascack Valley
- Pine Barrens
- Raritan Bayshore
- Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians
- Southern Shore Region
- Skylands Region
- South Jersey
- Tri‑State Region
- West Hudson
Counties Major citiesCategories:
- Boroughs in Monmouth County, New Jersey
- United States places with Orthodox Jewish communities
- Walsh Act
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.