- List of Never Mind the Buzzcocks episodes
This is a list of episodes from the satirical music-based panel game Never Mind the Buzzcocks. As of 7 November 2011, 230 regular episodes and five clip shows have been broadcast across 25 series; 235 episodes in total.
The show was originally chaired by Mark Lamarr, with team captains Phill Jupitus and Sean Hughes with two guests on each team. Bill Bailey replaced Hughes from series 11. Lamarr left after Series 17 and Series 18 was chaired by a series of guest hosts. One of these, satirical Popworld presenter Simon Amstell, took over as presenter from Series 19.
During series 21, Bill Bailey was unable to attend filming and so Noel Fielding provided cover for three episodes. Bailey left permanently after this series and was replaced by guest captains until Fielding returned full-time in series 23. Amstell also left after series 22 and the show has been chaired by guest hosts ever since.
Guests are listed from the hosts' far right to far left.
The coloured backgrounds denote the result of each of the shows:
- – indicates Phill's team won.
- – indicates Sean's/Bill's/the guest/Noel's team won.
- – indicates the game ended in a draw.
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Sean's team 2x01 15 September 1997 Suggs (Madness) and Shaggy Marie du Santiago (Kenickie) and Mark Little 2x02 22 September 1997 Tony Wright (Terrorvision) and Gary Barlow (Take That) Edwyn Collins and Jeff Green 2x03 29 September 1997 Sarah Blackwood (Dubstar) and Neil Morrissey Richard Fairbrass (Right Said Fred) and Billy Bragg 2x04 6 October 1997 Graham Norton and Midge Ure Shelly Poole (Alisha's Attic) and Math Priest (Dodgy) 2x05 13 October 1997 Richard Fairbrass (Right Said Fred) and Lisa I'Anson Mark Owen (Take That) and Shovell (M People) 2x06 20 October 1997 Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) and Brian Molko (Placebo) Saffron (Republica) and David Baddiel 2x07 27 October 1997 Jeff Green and Louise Redknapp Norman Blake (Teenage Fanclub) and Mathew Priest (Dodgy) 2x08 3 December 1997 Jonathan Ross and Louise Wener (Sleeper) Noddy Holder (Slade) and Boy George
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Sean's team 3x01 27 February 1998 Jonathan Ross and Andrew Roachford Cerys Matthews (Catatonia) and Donna McPhail 3x02 6 March 1998 Rick McMurray (Ash) and Lemmy (Motörhead) Mani (Primal Scream) and Richard Fairbrass (Right Said Fred) 3x03 13 March 1998 Tony Wright (Terrorvision) and Toyah Willcox Saul Davies (James) and John Moloney 3x04 20 March 1998 Louis Eliot (Rialto) and Zoë Ball Keith Duffy (Boyzone) and Graham Norton 3x05 27 March 1998 Shovell (M People) and Rick Witter (Shed Seven) Mark Owen (Take That) and Richard Morton 3x06 3 April 1998 Mathew Priest (Dodgy) and Tom Robinson Lauren Laverne (Kenickie) and Jeff Green 3x07 10 April 1998 Mary Anne Hobbs and Jonathan Ross Billy Bragg and Justin Currie (Del Amitri)
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Sean's team 4x01 11 September 1998 Chris Moyles and Bill Bailey Vic Reeves and James Broad (Silver Sun) 4x02 18 September 1998 Tony Wright (Terrorvision) and Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17) Bez (Happy Mondays and Black Grape) and Bob Mills 4x03 25 September 1998 Tom Robinson and Emmy-Kate Montrose (Kenickie) Neil Hannon (The Divine Comedy) and Keith Chegwin 4x04 2 October 1998 Ken McAlpine (Supernaturals) and Jayne Middlemiss Sean Cullen and Sophie Ellis-Bextor (theaudience) 4x05 9 October 1998 Mani (The Stone Roses and Primal Scream) and Matthew Marsden Jah Wobble (PiL) and Jo Brand 4x06 16 October 1998 Mark Chadwick (The Levellers) and Mel Giedroyc Jimmy Constable (911) and Arthur Smith 4x07 30 December 1998 [fn 1] Rick Wakeman (Yes) and Melanie Chisholm (Spice Girls) Natalie Appleton (All Saints) and Huey Morgan (Fun Lovin' Criminals) Never Rewind the Buzzcocks VID 2 November 1998 Jonathan Ross and Sarah Cracknell (St. Etienne) Noddy Holder and Math Priest (Dodgy)
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Sean's team 5x01 12 February 1999 Ian Dury and Karen Poole (Alisha's Attic) Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran) and Kathy Burke 5x02 19 February 1999 Sara Cox and Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols & The Rich Kids) Faye Tozer (Steps) and Junior Simpson 5x03 26 February 1999 Frank Skinner and Leeroy Thornhill (The Prodigy) Rick Wakeman and Paul Godfrey (Morcheeba) 5x04 5 March 1999 Nick Keynes (Ultra) and Meat Loaf Billie Piper and Rowland Rivron 5x05 19 March 1999 Carl Cox and Roy Wood John Hegley and Kate Thornton 5x06 26 March 1999 Adam Bloom and Kele Le Roc Tom Gray (Gomez) and Toyah Willcox 5x07 2 April 1999 Tony Wright (Terrorvision) and Howard Jones Bill Bailey and Grant Nicholas (Feeder) 5x08 9 April 1999 Chrissie Hynde and Josie Lawrence Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet) and Bobby Davro
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Sean's team 7x01 15 September 2000 [fn 2] Róisín Murphy (Moloko) and John Entwistle (The Who) Danny McNamara (Embrace) and Johnny Vegas 7x02 22 September 2000 Graham Gouldman (10cc) and Daphne & Celeste [fn 3] Pär Wiksten (The Wannadies) and Stuart Maconie 7x03 29 September 2000 June Sarpong and Gary Stringer (Reef) Mark Morriss (The Bluetones) and Bradley Walsh 7x04 6 October 2000 Jo Brand and Josh Doyle (The Dum Dums) Melanie B and Sally James 7x05 13 October 2000 Bob Mortimer and Jamelia Kirsty MacColl and Joseph Washbourne (Toploader) 7x06 20 October 2000 Mark Steel and Ritchie Neville (5ive) Josie D'Arby and Pete Shelley (Buzzcocks) 7x07 27 October 2000 Sean Lock and Paul Young Melanie Chisholm (Spice Girls) and Dermot O'Leary 7x08 3 November 2000 Kate Thornton and David Soul Dane Bowers and Dave Gorman 7x09 10 November 2000 Trevor Nelson and Alvin Stardust Liz McClarnon (Atomic Kitten) and Lloyd Cole 7x10 28 December 2000 [fn 1] Tony Wright (Terrorvision) and Dave Hill (Slade) Lorraine Kelly and Rich Hall
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Sean's team 10x01 7 January 2002 Mari Wilson and Boy George Blade and Tommy Vance 10x02 14 January 2002 Boothby Graffoe and DJ Spoony Cathy Dennis and Craig Cash 10x03 21 January 2002 Adam Buxton and Midge Ure Suzi Quatro and Claudia Winkleman 10x04 28 January 2002 Beverley Turner and Lesley Garrett Leee John (Imagination) and Ben Norris 10x05 4 February 2002 Kerry McFadden and Ashley Taylor Dawson (allSTARS*) Pete Burns (Dead or Alive) and Christian O'Connell 10x06 11 February 2002 Nemone and Alexander O'Neal Ian Watkins (Lostprophets) and Mark Owen 10x07 18 February 2002 Ben Miller and Lisa Scott-Lee Kate Thornton and Tony Wilson 10x08 25 February 2002 Dave Johns and Christian Ingebrigtsen (a1) Paul Young and June Sarpong 10x09 4 March 2002 Shaun Williamson and Coleen Nolan Bruce Dickinson and Ian Stone 10x10 20 May 2002 [fn 4] Cheryl Baker and Sonia Johnny Logan and Terry Wogan
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Bill's team 11x01 23 September 2002 Ben Shephard and Clare Grogan (Altered Images) Jenny Frost (Atomic Kitten) and Mark Goodier 11x02 30 September 2002 Robin Campbell (UB40) and Abs Breen (5ive) Ali Campbell (UB40) and Marilyn 11x03 7 October 2002 Sean Lock and Jason Perry (A) Lorraine Pearson (Five Star) and Budgie (Siouxsie and the Banshees) 11x04 14 October 2002 Lauren Laverne and Jimmy Cliff Sheila Ferguson and Stephen Frost 11x05 21 October 2002 Billy Bragg and Ian McLagan (The Small Faces & The Faces) Gay-Yee Westerhoff (bond) and Mark Steel 11x06 28 October 2002 Jackie Clune and Gary Moore (Thin Lizzy) Chris Baker (Mint Royale) and Tony Blackburn 11x07 4 November 2002 Emma B and Neil Innes (Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band) Sebastian Bach (Skid Row) and Dave Fulton 11x08 11 November 2002 Mike Wilmot and Nick Carter (Backstreet Boys) Jean-Jacques Burnel (The Stranglers) and Nicholas Parsons 11x09 29 December 2002 [fn 1] Geoffrey Hayes and Coolio Kelly Llorenna and Peter Stringfellow
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Bill's team 13x01 8 September 2003 Dick Valentine (Electric Six) and Huey Morgan (Fun Lovin' Criminals) Louise Redknapp and Alexei Sayle 13x02 15 September 2003 Raul Malo (The Mavericks) and Har Mar Superstar Liz McClarnon (Atomic Kitten) and Mark Richardson (Skunk Anansie) 13x03 22 September 2003 Megaman (So Solid Crew) and Martina Topley-Bird (Tricky) Howard Jones and Jackie Clune 13x04 29 September 2003 Josie D'Arby and Joel Pott (Athlete) Jane McDonald and Gavin Webster 13x05 6 October 2003 Wayne Sleep and Sian Evans (Kosheen) Clint Boon (Inspiral Carpets) and Mike Wilmot 13x06 13 October 2003 Vic Henley and Myleene Klass Andy Bell (Erasure) and Sinitta 13x07 20 October 2003 Adam Hills and Matt Hales Guy Garvey (Elbow) and Jayne Middlemiss 13x08 27 October 2003 Simon Amstell and Kym Marsh MC Romeo (So Solid Crew) and Gary Wilmot 13x09 28 December 2003 [fn 1] Alison Goldfrapp and DJ Sammy Sabrina Washington (Mis-Teeq) and Gloria Hunniford
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Bill's team 15x01 20 September 2004 Samuel Preston (The Ordinary Boys) and Randy (Big Brovaz) Matt Goss and Shystie 15x02 27 September 2004 Eos Chater (bond) and Dave Bartram (Showaddywaddy) Har Mar Superstar and Leigh Marklew (Terrorvision) 15x03 4 October 2004 Louis Walsh and Ben Ofoedu (Phats & Small & Intenso Project) Jason Donovan and Lara McAllen 15x04 11 October 2004 Lisa Scott-Lee and Nick Atkinson (Rooster) Toyah Willcox and Larry Hibbitt (Hundred Reasons) 15x05 18 October 2004 Nicole Russo (Brand New Heavies) and Joe Brown Buster Bloodvessel and Shola Ama 15x06 25 October 2004 Aaron Gilbert (Delays) and Jane McDonald Katie Melua and Michelle Gayle 15x07 20 December 2004 [fn 1] Noddy Holder (Slade) and David "Ollie" Oliver (Point Break & Freefaller) Siobhan Fahey (Bananarama) and Jackie Clune
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Bill's team 16x01 2 January 2005 Dave Johns and Hannah Lewis (Pop!) Suzi Quatro and Beverley Turner 16x02 9 January 2005 Roni Size and Dominic Masters (The Others) Ewen Macintosh and Keedie 16x03 16 January 2005 Mylo and Richard Park Martin Fry (ABC) and Therese Grankvist 16x04 23 January 2005 Pete Tong and Chris Park (Phixx) Fearne Cotton and Stephen Frost 16x05 30 January 2005 Mickey Hutton and Greg Oliver (Fierce Girl) Isaac Hanson (Hanson) and Dave Berry 16x06 6 February 2005 Nihal Arthanayake and Gary Brooker (Procol Harum) Raghav and Paul Heaton (Beautiful South) 16x07 13 February 2005 Ortis Deley and Ricky Wilson (Kaiser Chiefs) Keisha White and Jim Jeffries 16x08 27 February 2005 Kate Garraway and Tyson Kennedy (Steriogram) Bez (Happy Mondays) and Tony Christie 16x09 6 March 2005 Kenzie (Blazin' Squad) and Chinyere (VS) DJ Spoony and Lucy Porter 16x10 13 March 2005 Emma Griffiths and Magne Furuholmen (a-ha) Terri Walker and Richard Fairbrass (Right Said Fred) 16x11 20 March 2005 Simon Amstell and Melanie Blatt (All Saints) Estelle and Bradley Walsh
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Bill's team 17x01 31 October 2005 Holly Willoughby and Katie Melua Darren Hayes and Dave Fulton 17x02 7 November 2005 Tony Livesey and Blak Twang Rowetta and Jo Caulfield 17x03 14 November 2005 Lucy Porter and Daniel Powter Chas Hodges and Yvette Fielding 17x04 21 November 2005 Dave Berry and Brinsley Forde Myleene Klass and Rich Hall 17x05 28 November 2005 Claudia Winkleman and Richard Archer (HARD-Fi) Katrina Leskanich and Richard Park 17x06 5 December 2005 Adam Hills and Nihal Arthanayake Kathryn Williams and Tony Blackburn 17x07 12 December 2005 Liz Bonnin and Nate James Steve Mason (King Biscuit Time) and Lionel Blair 17x08 20 December 2005 [fn 1] Kate Garraway and Tony Christie Aled Jones and David Grant 17x09 31 December 2005 [fn 7] Alun Cochrane and Toyah Willcox Ben Adams (a1) and Annie Mac
Episode First broadcast Guest host Phill's team Bill's team 18x01 13 March 2006 Jonathan Ross Alan Carr and Tom Fletcher (McFly) Teddy Mitchell (The Mitchell Brothers) and Fiona Phillips 18x02 20 March 2006 Simon Amstell Russell Howard and Kenzie (Blazin' Squad and Friday Hill) Aaron Gilbert (Delays) and Nick Knowles 18x03 27 March 2006 Ricky Wilson Jeff Green and Bez (Happy Mondays) Colin Murray and Ryan Jarman (The Cribs) 18x04 3 April 2006 Lauren Laverne Linda Robson and Neil Claxton (Mint Royale) Charlie Simpson (Busted and Fightstar) and Rhod Gilbert 18x05 10 April 2006 Jeremy Clarkson Trisha Goddard and Antony Costa (Blue) [fn 8] Rick Wakeman (Yes) and Jim Jeffries 18x06 17 April 2006 Huey Morgan Reginald D. Hunter and Sheila Ferguson (The Three Degrees) Andy Rourke (The Smiths) and Natalie Cassidy 18x07 24 April 2006 Dale Winton Sally Lindsay and Suzi Quatro Andy Fairweather Low and Ben Fogle
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Bill's team 19x01 26 October 2006 Phil Nichol and Ricky Ross (Deacon Blue) Alesha Dixon and Anthea Turner 19x02 2 November 2006 Vanessa Feltz and Matt Willis (Busted) Paul Young and Will Smith 19x03 9 November 2006 Stewart Lee and Jason Pebworth (Orson) Tony Mortimer (East 17) and Bill Oddie 19x04 16 November 2006 Penny Smith and Alex Pennie (The Automatic) Amy Winehouse and Andrew Maxwell 19x05 23 November 2006 Robin Ince and Daniel Bedingfield Kelli Young (Liberty X) and John Barrowman 19x06 30 November 2006 Steve Strange and Lily Allen Jamelia and Mark Watson 19x07 24 December 2006 [fn 1] David Gest and Dan Gillespie Sells (The Feeling) Danny Jones (McFly) and Jenni Falconer
Episode First broadcast Phill's team Bill's team 20x01 31 January 2007 Alan Davies and Chris Peck (Boy Kill Boy) Nerina Pallot and Matt Baker 20x02 7 February 2007 Philip Olivier and Donny Tourette (Towers of London) Alfie Jackson (The Holloways) and Noel Fielding 20x03 14 February 2007 Ed Byrne and Samuel Preston (The Ordinary Boys) [fn 9] Fyfe Dangerfield (Guillemots) and Anne Charleston 20x04 21 February 2007 Nicholas Hoult and Midge Ure Romeo Stodart (The Magic Numbers) and Russell Howard 20x05 28 February 2007 Jonas Armstrong and Nick Hodgson (Kaiser Chiefs) Sinitta and Dom Joly 20x06 7 March 2007 Adam Buxton and Melanie Chisholm (Spice Girls) Bonnie Tyler and Krishnan Guru-Murthy
Episode First broadcast Guest host Phill's team Noel's team 24x01 21 October 2010 Mark Ronson Alesha Dixon and Mollie King (The Saturdays) Tinie Tempah and Paul Foot 24x02 28 October 2010 Catherine Tate Katy Wix and Badly Drawn Boy Tulisa Contostavlos (N-Dubz) and Howard Marks 24x03 4 November 2010 Jack Dee Charlie Higson and Eliza Doolittle [fn 21] Jedward and Katy Brand [fn 22] 24x04 11 November 2010 Terry Wogan Rufus Hound and James Blunt Imelda May and Edith Bowman 24x05 18 November 2010 David O'Doherty Joe Wilkinson and Mel B Olly Murs and Peter Jones 24x06 25 November 2010 Tim Minchin Jason Donovan and DJ Target (Roll Deep) Paloma Faith and Tim Key 24x07 2 December 2010 Tim Westwood Holly Walsh and JLS [fn 23] Russell Watson and Wiley [fn 24] 24x08 9 December 2010 Lee Mack Jon Richardson and Diana Vickers Andrew Stone (Starman) and Irwin Sparkes (The Hoosiers) 24x09 16 December 2010 Juliette Lewis Nick Grimshaw and Theo Hutchcraft (Hurts) Kimberly Wyatt (ex-Pussycat Dolls) and Vic Reeves 24x10 21 December 2010 Josh Groban Charlie Baker and Tinchy Stryder Michael Ball and KT Tunstall 24x11 30 December 2010 Robert Webb Andi Osho and Example Cee Lo Green and Chris Packham 24x12 3 January 2011 Frankie Boyle Miles Jupp and Goldie Professor Green and Michelle Williams 24x13 5 January 2011 Best of Series 24
Comic Relief special
Episode First broadcast Guest host Neil's team Robert's team Sp. 5 March 2011 [fn 25] David Walliams Chris O'Dowd and Alexa Chung Matt Edmondson and Nick Grimshaw
Episode First broadcast Guest host Phill's team Noel's team 25x01 3 October 2011 David Hasselhoff Peter Serafinowicz and Loick Essien Amelle Berrabah (Sugababes) and Louie Spence 25x02 10 October 2011 Jack Dee Spencer Matthews and Alex James Maverick Sabre and Seann Walsh 25x03 17 October 2011 Lorraine Kelly Jarred Christmas and Professor Green Stacey Solomon and Tony Law 25x04 24 October 2011 [fn 26] Adam Buxton Reggie Yates and Margaret Cho Beverley Knight and Dynamo 25x05 31 October 2011 Will Young Mark Watson and Sinitta Paul Foot and Toddla T 25x06 7 November 2011 Greg Davies Amy Childs, Frankie Boyle and Ian 'H' Watkins (Steps) [fn 27] Tinchy Stryder and Holly Walsh 25x07 14 November 2011 Alice Cooper Penny Smith and Wretch 32 Olly Murs and Rufus Hound  25x08 21 November 2011 James Blunt Harry Judd (McFly) and Matthew Crosby Sean Paul and Sarah Millican  25x09 28 November 2011 25x10 5 December 2011 25x11 12 December 2011 25x12 19 December 2011
Sport Relief special
Episode First broadcast Guest host Phill's team Noel's team Sp. March 2012 [fn 28] Jake Humphrey Louise Redknapp and Austin Healey Tim Lovejoy and Melanie Chisholm
Phill Sean Bill Guests Noel Series wins (3 drawn) 9 12 2 7 1 2 Show wins (11 drawn) 107 112 39 48 9 16
- ^ a b c d e f g h i Christmas Special
- ^ This episode started and ended with Identity Parade starring man Athelston Williams in Mark's chair.
- ^ The first time more than the regulatory three people were on one team.
- ^ Eurovision Song Contest special. Also Sean Hughes' last ever show.
- ^ 100th Episode Special. Contains specially filmed inserts with Mark, Phill, Bill and Richard Fairbrass.
- ^ This episode marks the first time members of the same band, let alone members of the same family, appeared on one team.
- ^ 150th Episode Special and also Mark Lamarr's final episode
- ^ Achieved a last-minute victory without Phill, who departed partway through Next Lines
- ^ Ed Seymour, a hand-picked "lookalike" from the audience, replaced Preston for the remainder of the show after he walked out due to Amstell making references to his rise to fame in Celebrity Big Brother and reading extracts from his then wife's (Chantelle Houghton) biography.
- ^ For the second, third and fourth episodes of Series 21, Noel Fielding covered Bill's captain spot
- ^ Noel's first episode as Guest Captain.
- ^ Noel's final appearance as Guest Captain.
- ^ This episode also featured frequent appearances from singer Andy Scott-Lee (formerly of boy band 3SL), who performed the Intros round (when teams played their 'Andy Scott-Lee card'), appeared in an Identity Parade line-up and had his new single heavily promoted by Amstell.
- ^ As part of a jibe on the fickle nature and inflated importance of the NME Cool List, a fictitious indie artist named 'Flipchart Hiatus' was initially introduced as Bill Bailey's second guest. Amstell then announced that Flipchart Hiatus had slipped too many places on the Cool List and so had to be replaced. Crew members then rushed on to lift Flipchart Hiatus from his seat and replace him with Hynes.
- ^ For this series, guest captains replaced Bill Bailey who left to pursue other interests after six years.
- ^ In honour of guest captain Stephen Fry, this episode had various QI-themed jokes including giving Stephen a customized buzzer, intellectual conversations over interesting facts, and ending the show with the QI theme tune.
- ^ In this episode, Simon dressed in a bunny costume to make the show more "family friendly" and keep his job at the BBC, mocking how the BBC had reacted to the Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross scandal.
- ^ Due to the scandal where Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand made prank phonecalls to Andrew Sachs on Russell's BBC Radio 2 show, the BBC decided to suspend the two comedians and pull all their shows pending further investigation. Even though this episode of Buzzcocks was taped before the suspension and was due to air on 30 October 2008, it was pulled as well. The episode was eventually first broadcast on 19 January 2011.
- ^ From this episode, the show moved to Wednesday nights
- ^ Doctor Who special
- ^ During the Identity Parade, Noel swapped teams with Phill for the rest of the show in order to give him the "Jedward experience". However, host Jack Dee still credited the victory to "Noel's old team."
- ^ Jedward temporarily swapped places with Identity Parade member Pat Sharp, who was made team captain for rest of the round.
- ^ The episode started with Marvin Humes from JLS on Phill's team whilst the other members of the band sat on a "sub bench" to the side. Throughout the episode, whenever Tim Westwood set off an alarm, JLS had to substitute another member onto the panel. The entire band performed with Phill in the Intros round.
- ^ During the Intros round, Pat Sharp joined Noel's team to make up for all of JLS joining up on Phill's team.
- ^ Special episode webcast live as part of 24 Hour Panel People. David Walliams hosted and Neil Tennant and Robert Webb replaced Noel and Phill who were unavailable.
- ^ The game ended in a draw, so a tiebreak game of "How Many Mobys Are There?" was played.
- ^ Frankie Boyle stood in for Phill Jupitus who was unable to attend the episode's recording
- ^ Special episode taped for Sport Relief
- List of Never Mind the Buzzcocks episodes at TV.com
- List of Never Mind the Buzzcocks episodes at the Internet Movie Database
Never Mind the Buzzcocks List of episodes Presenters Team captains Series
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.