- Ricky Ross (musician)
Infobox musical artist
Name = Ricky Ross
Background = solo_singer
Born = birth date and age|1957|12|22
Instrument = Vocals
Guitar Piano Keyboards
Genre = Rock
URL = [http://www.rickyross.com Ricky Ross]
Ricky Ross (born Richard Ross,
22 December 1957in Dundee, Scotland) is a male singerand songwriter, most famously with the Scottish rock band, Deacon Blue.
Ricky Ross is the co-founder of Scottish rock/pop band Deacon Blue. He formed the group in 1985 when he was told by music industry folk he would need to form a band to showcase his increasing repertoire of material. Up to this point he had played keyboards in a local band called Woza.
In 1984, and before the formation of Deacon Blue, Ross had released a solo album, "So Long Ago" on the Glasgow independent label Sticky Records. After the band's breakup in 1994, Ross resurrected his solo career and Epic released his second solo album "What You Are" in 1996. As Ross's first solo album "So Long Ago" was a very minor release "What You Are" became his first solo release on a major label and as such is generally regarded as his debut solo album.
Ross released another album, "New Recording" on his own label in 1997.
After Deacon Blue's reunion in 1999 and their release of the "
Walking Back Home" and "Homesick" albums, Ross entered into a new publishing deal with Warner Chappell UK, and released another solo album, "This Is the Life", through Chrysalis Records' short-lived Papillion label, in 2002. Papillion had released Deacon Blue's "Homesick" album in the previous year.
As part of his publishing deal with Warner Chappell, Ross began co-writing with other artists. He currently spends more time on writing than on his solo career or Deacon Blue projects. To date he has written for and with
James Blunt, Ronan Keating, KT Tunstall, David Sneddon, Cathy Burton, Gareth Gates, Emma Buntonand several others.
In 2005, Ross released the album "Pale Rider" through P3 Music.
* In November 07 in an interview on JACKfm Oxfordshire's Morning Glory with Trevor Marshall and Sue Carter, Ricky revealed their keyboard player Jim has actually edited some of the information on this page himself.
* Prior to forming Deacon Blue, he recorded a solo album, "So Long Ago", and performed songs from the album at the
Greenbelt Festival(Christian Arts), an event he would return to later in his career.
* Ross is a Dundee United supporter and wrote the "Proud to Be An Arab"
* Ross is married to fellow Deacon Blue singer Lorraine McIntosh. They have three children: Emer, Georgia and Seamus. He also has a daughter from a previous marriage.
* His song The Undeveloped Heart on the album New Recording and
Ooh Las Vegas( Deacon Blue(1990)) contains a quote from the song "My Heart Beats Like a Dream" by Scottish singer-songwriter David Heavenorgiving him a name check in the lyric.
Ricky Ross has recorded both with the band
Deacon Blueand as a solo artist.
:"For Ricky Ross' discography with Deacon Blue, see
Deacon Blue discography."
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.