- Pearson Education
Pearson Education Parent company Pearson Founded 1998 Country of origin United States Headquarters location Upper Saddle River, New Jersey Publication types Books Number of employees 40,000 (2009) Official website www.pearsoned.com
Pearson Education is an international educational publishing and technology company providing textbooks and other educational material, such as multimedia learning tools. It was created in 1998 when Pearson purchased the education division of Simon & Schuster from Viacom and merged it with its own education division, Addison–Wesley Longman.
Pearson Education is headquartered in Upper Saddle River, New Jersey with major divisions headquartered in San Francisco, CA, Boston, MA, Columbus, Ohio, Glenview, IL, and Chandler, AZ. It is part of Pearson PLC, which is headquartered in London, England, with offices in Harlow and Oxford.
Pearson Education has a number of publishing imprints:
- Addison-Wesley Professional
- Adobe Press
- Allyn & Bacon
- Benjamin Cummings
- Cisco Press
- enVision Math
- Exam Cram
- Financial Times
- FT Press
- IBM Press
- Macromedia Press
- MySQL Press
- New Riders
- Novell Press
- Pearson Longman
- Pearson Scott Foresman
- Penguin Books
- Pi Press
- Prentice Hall
- Que Publishing
- SAMS Publishing
- Silver Burdett
- VangoBooks, publisher of textbooks
- Wharton School Publishing, with Wharton School
- York Notes
Pearson Education has partnered with five other higher-education publishers to create CourseSmart, a company developed to sell college textbooks in eTextbook format on a common platform.
- Course Compass extensions to Blackboard Inc.'s
- CourseConnect, a library of customisable online courses
- Livelessons, video training from technology experts
- ''MyMathLab'' and MyStatsLab, comprehensive online, interactive teaching/learning systems
- Pearson LearningStudio, SaaS-based Learning Management System
- Market Leader Live, Online Business English training
Pearson Education operates globally and has a range of competitors, both worldwide and in each country in which it operates. In the United States, its main K-12 competitors include Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, a subsidiary of EMPG; and McGraw Hill Education, a division of the McGraw Hill Companies, Inc. International competitors include Macmillan Education, a division of Georg von Holtzbrinck GmbH; and the Houghton affiliate EMPGI.
- List of largest UK book publishers
- ^ "Contact Us". http://www.pearsoned.com/pe/index.htm. Retrieved January 2009.
- ^ "New Agreement Makes eTextbooks Available to Students". http://www.coursesmart.com/aboutus?aboutview=media#pressedmap.
- ^ "Review of Mymathlab Student Access Kit (Standalone) / Edition 4". Barnes&Noble.com. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mymathlab-Student-Stand-Alone-Access-Kit/Addison-Wesley/e/9780321199911. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- Pearson Education US
- Pearson Education India
- Pearson School Systems
- Heinemann UK
- Peachpit Press
- Wharton School Publishing
- Gazelle Javan
- Pearson Education awards places on Student Advisory Board
Pearson PLC Financial Times Group
The Banker · Business Day (50%) · The Economist Group (50%) · fDi · Financial Adviser · Financial Mail (50%) · Financial Times · FT Mandate · FTSE Group (50%) · Investment Adviser · Investors Chronicle · Mergermarket · Money Management · PWM · Vedomosti (33%)
Pearson EducationPearson School
Addison-Wesley · AGS Globe · BBC Active · Causeway Press · Celebration Press · DDC · Dominie Press · Dorling Kindersley · Family Education Network (FunBrain · Infoplease · Poptropica) · Ginn · Heinemann (outside US) · Interstate · Modern Curriculum Press · Payne-Gallway · Prentice Hall · Rigby (outside US) · Scott Foresman · Silver Burdett · York NotesPearson
Addison-Wesley · Allyn & Bacon · Benjamin Cummings · Longman · Merrill Education · Prentice HallPearson
Addison-Wesley Professional · Adobe Press · Apple Certified · Allyn & Bacon Professional · Cisco Press · FT Press · IBM Press · InformIT · Merrill Professional · New Riders · New York Institute of Finance · Peachpit · Pearson Assessment & Information · Prentice Hall Professional · Que · Safari Books Online (50%) · SAMS Publishing · Pearson VUE · WhartonOther
Penguin GroupUnited KingdomAllen Lane · BBC Children's Books · Dorling Kindersley · Hamish Hamilton · Ladybird · Michael Joseph · Penguin · Penguin Classics · Puffin · Rough Guides · Viking · WarneUnited StatesAce · Alpha · Avery · Berkley · BradyGames · Current · Dial Young Readers · Dutton · Firebird · Gotham · Putnam · Grosset & Dunlap · HPBooks · Hudson Street · Jove · New American Library · Penguin · The Penguin Press · Perigee · Philomel · Plume · Portfolio · Prentice Hall Press · Price Stern Sloan · Puffin · Riverhead · Sentinel · Speak · Tarcher · VikingCategories:
- Book publishing companies based in New Jersey
- Educational publishing companies
- Pearson PLC
- Publishing companies established in 1998
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.