- Christopher Beazley
Christopher Beazley Member of the European Parliament for the East of England In office
Member of the European Parliament for Cornwall and Plymouth In office
Personal details Born 5 September 1952
Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex
Political party Conservative Party, European People's Party Relations Son of Peter Beazley
Christopher John Pridham Beazley (born 5 September 1952 in Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex) is a British politician for the Conservative Party, who served as a Member of the European Parliament 1984–1994 and 1999–2009.
He is the son of Peter Beazley, and earned a BA in History at Bristol University in 1974. From 1974 to 1976, he worked at the Bank of England, then as a teacher 1976–1983 and as a research officer at Sussex University 1983–1984. He has since been a consultant and writer on European affairs.
From 1984 to 1994 he was the MEP for Cornwall and Plymouth, serving alongside his father Peter Beazley, who was the MEP for Bedfordshire South. From 1999 to 2009, he was the MEP for the East of England. He was a member of the Committee on Foreign Affairs.
He has been the Conservative spokesman on Culture and Education, Regional Development, Home Affairs and Justice, and Constitutional Affairs.
A centrist conservative, he has been vice-chairman of the Conservative Group for Europe, and has criticized the UK Conservative Party of leaving the European People's Party group. A few months before he left the European Parliament in 2009, he became a full member of the European People’s Party, despite the UK conservative party's plans to withdraw from their parliament group, stating that "I cannot watch and say nothing while the Tories walk away from their allies, friends and colleagues in Europe."
He is a signatory of the Prague Declaration on European Conscience and Communism.
Beazley is married with three children.
- Who would we join with? Some sort of mish-mash of mavericks who have no power at home domestically?, on the Conservative Party leaving the European People's Party.
- "Europe is no more divided, but we are still divided by our experience."
–Christopher Beazley, Prague, June 2008, in his speech at the conference "Conscience of Europe and Communism" (Svědomí Evropy a komunismus) closing with the Prague Declaration (Pražská deklarace) 
- ^ a b Ian Drury (12th March 2009). "Cameron: We'll quit pro-Europe alliance". Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161361/Cameron-Well-quit-pro-Europe-alliance.html. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- ^ Jim Pickard. "Christopher Beazley: The unhappy Tory MEP". Financial Times. http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2009/03/christopher-beazley-the-unhappy-tory-mep/. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- ^ "Going out with a bang". thisiswesternmorningnews.co.uk. http://www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co.uk/news/Going-bang/article-846034-detail/article.html. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- ^ "Prague Declaration: Selected signatories". Institute for Information on the Crimes of Communism. http://praguedeclaration.org/vipsig. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ source: Respekt, 4 June 2008 
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.