- Branch County, Michigan
Branch County, Michigan
Location in the state of Michigan
Michigan's location in the U.S.
Founded 1829 Seat Coldwater Largest city Coldwater Area
519.49 sq mi (1,345 km²)
507.41 sq mi (1,314 km²)
12.08 sq mi (31 km²), 2.33%
91/sq mi (35/km²)
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 519.49 square miles (1,345.5 km2), of which 507.41 square miles (1,314.2 km2) (or 97.67%) is land and 12.08 square miles (31.3 km2) (or 2.33%) is water.
- Calhoun County (north)
- Hillsdale County (east)
- St. Joseph County (west)
- Steuben County, Indiana (south)
- LaGrange County, Indiana (southwest)
Calhoun County St. Joseph County Hillsdale County Branch County, Michigan LaGrange County, Indiana Steuben County, Indiana
Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1900 27,811 — 1910 25,605 −7.9% 1920 23,997 −6.3% 1930 23,950 −0.2% 1940 25,845 7.9% 1950 30,202 16.9% 1960 34,903 15.6% 1970 37,906 8.6% 1980 40,188 6.0% 1990 41,502 3.3% 2000 45,787 10.3% 2010 45,248 −1.2%
As of the 2000 census, there were 45,787 people, 16,349 households, and 11,575 families residing in the county. The population density was 90 people per square mile (35/km²). There were 19,822 housing units at an average density of 39 per square mile (15/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 93.37% White, 2.63% Black or African American, 0.47% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.39% from other races, and 1.69% from two or more races. 2.98% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 25.8% were of German, 14.3% American, 11.9% English, 8.1% Irish and 7.2% Polish ancestry according to Census 2000. 94.2% spoke English, 2.8% Spanish and 1.9% German as their first language.
There were 16,349 households out of which 33.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.00% were married couples living together, 9.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.20% were non-families. 24.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.50% under the age of 18, 8.40% from 18 to 24, 29.80% from 25 to 44, 23.10% from 45 to 64, and 13.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 102.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $38,760, and the median income for a family was $44,777. Males had a median income of $32,098 versus $22,579 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,552. About 6.00% of families and 9.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.70% of those under age 18 and 7.20% of those age 65 or over.
The county government operates the jail, maintains rural roads, operates the major local courts, keeps files of deeds and mortgages, maintains vital records, administers public health regulations, and participates with the state in the provision of welfare and other social services. The county board of commissioners controls the budget but has only limited authority to make laws or ordinances. In Michigan, most local government functions — police and fire, building and zoning, tax assessment, street maintenance, etc. — are the responsibility of individual cities and townships.
Branch County elected officials
- Prosecuting Attorney: Terri Norris
- Sheriff: Warren Cannon
- County Clerk: Teresa Kubasiak
- County Treasurer: Sandra Thatcher
- Register of Deeds: Nancy Hutchins
- Drain Commissioner: Michael Hard
- County Surveyor: Edward W. Reed
(information as of September 2005)
Cities, villages, and townships
- Batavia Center
- Canada Shores
- Crystal Beach
- East Gilead
- Pearl Beach
- Sans Souci Beach
- South Butler
- West Kinderhook
- I-69 Business Loop routes through Coldwater.
- US 12, is an east-west route crossing through the southern portion of the state from Detroit to the Indiana state line at Michiana.
Michigan State Trunklines
- M-60 runs east from Niles to I-94 at Jackson.
- M-66 runs south from Sturgis through Battle Creek and ending near Charlevoix.
- M-86 runs east from Three Rivers to approximately 1 mile west of Coldwater.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Branch County, Michigan
- USS Branch County (LST-482)
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ Statistical profile of Branch County, Michigan, United States Census Bureau, Census 2000
- Branch County government
- Branch County Tourism Bureau
- Branch County Chamber of Commerce
- Office of the County Clerk
- Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University, Bibliography on Branch County
Municipalities and communities of Branch County, Michigan Cities Villages Townships Unincorporated
Canada Shores | Crystal Beach | East Gilead | Girard | Hatmaker | Hodunk | Lockwood | Pearl Beach | Sans Souci Beach | Ray
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.