- University of Science and Technology of China
University of Science and Technology of China 中国科学技术大学 Motto 红专并进，理实交融 Established 1958 Type National President Hou Jianguo (侯建国) Academic staff 1,542 Undergraduates 7,667 Postgraduates 8,921 Location Hefei, Anhui, People's Republic of China Campus Urban Affiliations AEARU, APRU, C9 Website ustc.edu.cn University of Science and Technology of China North gate of the East Campus Traditional Chinese 中國科學技術大學 Simplified Chinese 中国科学技术大学 Transcriptions Mandarin - Hanyu Pinyin Zhōngguó Kēxué Jìshù Dàxué - Wade–Giles Chungkuo K'ehsüeh Chishu Tahsüeh Cantonese (Yue) - Jyutping Zung1 gwok3 fo1 hok6 gei6 seot6 daai6 hok6 - Yale Romanization Jung1 gwo2 ke1 swye2 ji4 shu4 da4 swye2
The University of Science and Technology of China (USTC; simplified Chinese: 中国科学技术大学; traditional Chinese: 中國科學技術大學; pinyin: Zhōngguó Kēxué Jìshù Dàxué) is a national research university in Hefei, People's Republic of China. It is a member of the C9 League formed by nine top universities in China. Founded in Beijing by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in September 1958, it was moved to Hefei city in Anhui province in the beginning of 1970 during the Cultural Revolution.
The inception and mission of USTC was in response to the urgent need for the national economy, defense construction, and education in science and technology. It has been featured by its competence on scientific and technological research and expended into humanities and management with a strong scientific and engineering emphasis. USTC has 9 schools, 23 departments, the Special Class for the Gifted Young, the Experimental Class for the Teaching Reform, the Graduate Schools (Hefei, Shanghai, Suzhou), School of Management (Beijing), the Software School, School of Network Education, and School of Continuing Education.
USTC was founded in Beijing by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in September 1958, the Director of CAS, Mr. Guo Moruo was appointed the first president of USTC. The founding of the University is aimed at fostering high-level personnel of science and technology absolutely necessary for the development of the national economy, national defense construction, and education in science and technology. The establishment was hailed as "A Major Event in the History of Chinese Education and Science". CAS has supported USTC by combining most of its institutes with the departments of the university. USTC is listed in the top 16 national key universities, becoming the youngest national key university.
In the beginning of 1970, USTC was moved to Hefei, the capital of Anhui province. Since 1978, USTC has initiated and implemented a series of open and reform measures with a forward-looking sense and innovative spirit. It recovered from the Cultural Revolution and achieved rapid development thereafter.
USTC set up the first graduate school in China in 1978 to effectively cultivate its postgraduate students. However, the main campus for graduate study in Beijing, where it was the first formal campus of USTC, was renamed Graduate School of the CAS later.
Since the 1990s, USTC has taken the initiative of adapting to the necessity and challenge of the development of science and technology, education, and social economy. In 1995, USTC was approved by the central government as one of the first batch of universities obtaining the support of construction in the National 9th Five-Year Plan and the "Project 211". In 1999, USTC was singled out as one of the 9 universities enjoying priority support from the nation's "Plan of Vitalizing Education Action Geared to the 21st Century". Since September 2002, USTC has been implementing its "Project 211" construction during the 10th National Development Plan.
The USTCers have mandated the use of USTC in English or Keda[科大] rather than the full name University of Science and Technology of China due to honored tradition and the desire to avoid confusion with many similarly named institutions.
- Professor Zhou Guangzhao, USTC Honorary President, Chairman of the China Association of Science and Technology, academician of the CAS.
- Professor Hou Jianguo, President, Chemist, academician of the CAS.
- Professor Xu Wu, Party Secretary.
- Guo Moruo,1958.9－1978.6
- Yan Jici, 1980.2-1984.9
- Guan Weiyan, 1985.4-1987.1
- Teng Teng, 1987.1-1988.2
- Gu Chaohao, 1988.2-1993.7
- Tang Honggao, 1993.7-1998.6
- Zhu Qingshi, 1998.6-2008.9
- Hou Jianguo, 2008.9 -
USTC consistently adheres to the school-running principle of pursuing the national interest and innovative pioneering. It upholds the combination of science with technology, teaching with research, and theory with practice. In a short period, USTC has turned into a comprehensive national key university of science and technology, with emphasis on the forefront of science and high and new technology. USTC also offers management studies involved with science and technology and the humanities.
Since the founding of the University, USTC has undertaken a large batch of national, ministerial and provincial research projects, achieving large number of research results. Since its participation in the CAS Experimental Program of Knowledge Innovation, USTC has achieved a batch of important and innovative results in the basic research of nano science and technology, quantum information science, life science research, fire science and fire protection technology, polar scientific investigation and research, bio-mass clean energy research. As a result, increasing number of papers have been published in "Nature" and "Science". 5 research results won national prizes, namely 1 Follow-up Prize and 1 Third Prize in the National Natural Science Awards, 2 Follow-up Prizes and 1 Third Prize in the National Achievement Awards in Science and Technology. Among these results, "Solvothermal Preparation and Characterization of Nanocrystalline Nonoxides" won Second Prize in the National Natural Science Awards in 2001; "Early Fire Intelligent Monitoring System for Large Space Buildings and Hidden-trouble of Electric Fire Checking System among them among them" and "An Artificial Monitoring and Policy-making Support System for Preventing and Reducing the Calamities of Anhui Province" both won Follow-up Prize in the National Achievement Awards in Science and Technology. 5 research results has been candidates 7 times for the list of the 10 Major Pieces of Sci-tech News in China, the 10 Major Pieces of News of Basic Research in China, the 10 Major Pieces of Sci-tech News in Chinese Universities, and the 10 Major Achievements in Science and Technology in Chinese Universities. In recent years, the University has solely undertaken or taken part in a lot of national major scientific programs, such as the second-phase project for the National Synchrotron Radiation Lab, HT-7U Super-conducting Tokmak.
With the motto "Studying diligently, making progress both in study and development of moral character", USTC has made distinguished achievements in talent fostering, scientific research and technology transfer, turning into an important base of high-qualified talent training and high-level scientific research for the nation. USTC is regarded by the Ministry of Science and Technology as one of the 4 universities with best scientific research performance in China. It ranks among the best in the review of Chinese top universities by the US journal "Science" and the French journal "Research".
There are 9 schools, 23 departments, the Special Class for the Gifted Young, the Experimental Class for the Teaching Reform, the Graduate School, School of Management (Beijing), the Software School, School of Network Education, and School of Continuing Education. USTC offers 43 undergraduate specialties, 17 first-category Ph.D. degree programs, 89 second-category Ph.D. degree programs, 105 second-category master degree specialties. It becomes the key base for the education of the Ph.D. students within the CAS.
USTC has three national research institutions and 6 key laboratoris of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). It also has some key scientific research institutions such as the CAS Research Center for Thermal Safety Engineering and Technology.
16 academic societies are affiliated with the University, including the Synchrotron Radiation Committee under the China Society of Physics, the System Simulation Committee under the China Society of Automation, and the Quantum Optics Committee under the China Society of Physics. The University publishes some important academic journals, such as "Journal of the University of Science and Technology", "Fire Science", "Journal of Low Temperature Physics", "Journal of Chemical Physics", "Experimental Mechanics", and "Education and Modernization".
There are more than 3600 faculty and staff numbers, 22 CAS and CAE academicians, 432 professors. The number of students accepting normal higher education at USTC totals around 13794, 8243 undergraduate students, 3873 master degree students, and 1498 Ph.D. students among them. Besides, it also has 1575 professional master degree students, 110 post-doctoral fellows and 134 guest professors.
There are four campuses: East, South, West and North Campus. The campuses cover an area of 1.46 million square metres (360 acres), with 890,000 square metres (9,600,000 sq ft) of building area. The library has a collection of 1.73 million books, 3000 kinds of journal in the language of Chinese,4000 kinds of English, 600,000 electronic books and 20,000 electronic journals in Chinese or in English.
A first-class campus computer network is running within the campus. Five public experimental centers for teaching and research is under construction, namely the Center of Physical Science, Life Science, Information Science, Engineering and Material Science, and Application of Synchrotron Radiation.
Transportation The campus bus runs from 7:00 am till 23:00 pm. The round-trip buses go through all 4 campus every 30 minutes, with direct-line buses run within 5 minutes between every the campuses. During the week, there are 130 bus-trips in one day, two dozen trips during the day of weekends or holidays. Boarding the bus, the teachers and students, using their E-card, are free of charge.
Hospital The school hospital, is a specific attachment to the university, and holds the aim of providing such services as disease prevention, health care, treatment and health education for the teaching staff and the students. After over forty years of development and construction, the hospital has been steadily expanded, the level of treatment has continuously improved, and the equipment has constantly been upgraded. The hospital covers 5,200 m2, with 110 beds and more than 110 employees.
The hospital is committed to the treatment and health care services for over 10,000 students, about 3,000 teachers and more than 700 retired employees, plus the families of the employees who live on the campus, which adds up to more than 20,000 people. A branch hospital and an outpatient department have been established separately on the west and the south campuses that are also centers for students' living and studying activities. The medical personnel are on duty around the clock for the convenience of the people.
In addition to carrying out daily diagnosis and treatment, the school hospital also, according to the college hygiene regulations, undertakes physical examination services under the principle of prevention. It is already a convention for students to take physical examinations both after their entrance and before graduation, and another check during their college years. Physical examinations are given every two years for school personnel and those who have retired.
To fulfill the demands of the science-major students for medical knowledge, the corresponding doctors of the school hospital have compiled a book titled Health Education for College Students, which, as the textbook for the selective course of health education, illuminates medical knowledge systematically from various angles. In recent years, this course has been taken by increasing numbers of students, and the title "advanced collective" has been bestowed on the hospital by the education authorities.
real 3D map:http://ustc.6dxy.com/
As of 2004:
Item Data Land Area 1,335,818 m² Building Space 833,261 m² Library Books 1,579,300 Permanent Assets 947,675,500 Yuan Equipment Value 701,505,400 Yuan Total Staff & Faculty 3,600 Faculty 1,100 Research Personnel 330 CAS Academicians 20 CAE Academicians 4 Professors 432 Associate Professors 564 Teaching Assistant Staff 577 Ph.D. Students 1,498 Master Degree Students 5,600 Undergraduates 8,423 Continuous Education Students 6,000 International Students 27 Undergraduate Specialties 43 Second-category master Degree Specialties 105 Second-category Ph.D. Degree Programs 89 First-category Ph.D. Degree Programs 17 Professional Master Degree Specialties 3 Engineering Master Degree Specialties 8 Post-doctoral Research Stations 17 Post-doctoral Research Specialties 45 National Key Disciplines 19 Provincial Key Disciplines 19 Schools 9 Departments 23 National Research Institutions 3 CAS and Provencal Key Labs 10 University Research Institutes 54
Since its participation in the CAS Experimental Program of Knowledge Innovation, USTC has achieved a batch of important and innovative results in the basic research of nano science and technology, quantum information science, life science research, fire science and fire protection technology, polar scientific investigation and research, bio-mass clean energy research. As a result, 3 papers were published in "Nature", 1 in "Science". 5 research results won national prizes, namely 1 Follow-up Prize and 1 Third Prize in the National Natural Science Awards, 2 Follow-up Prizes and 1 Third Prize in the National Achievement Awards in Science and Technology. Among these results, "Solvothermal Preparation and Characterization of Nanocrystalline Nonoxides" won Second Prize in the National Natural Science Awards in 2001; "Early Fire Intelligent Monitoring System for Large Space Buildings and Hidden-trouble of Electric Fire Checking System among them among them" and "An Artificial Monitoring and Policy-making Support System for Preventing and Reducing the Calamities of Anhui Province" both won Follow-up Prize in the National Achievement Awards in Science and Technology. 5 research results has been candidates 7 times for the list of the 10 Major Pieces of Sci-tech News in China, the 10 Major Pieces of News of Basic Research in China, the 10 Major Pieces of Sci-tech News in Chinese Universities, and the 10 Major Achievements in Science and Technology in Chinese Universities. Recently USTC has solely undertaken or taken part in a lot of national major scientific programs, such as the second-phase project for the National Synchrotron Radiation Lab, HT-7U Super-conducting Tokamak.
USTC has taken a leading position among Chinese universities on the number of research papers published internationally and in the citation rate of the papers. Since 1996, USTC consistently ranks No. 4 on the number of papers included by SCI; Since 1999, it ranks No. 1 on the number of papers published in the journals with high-impact factor among universities across China. Between 1991 and 2000, USTC ranks No. 1 among Chinese universities on the number of papers published in the internationally distinguished journals of "Science", "Nature", "PRL", and "Jacs". USTC ranks No. 2 among the universities and research institutions in the world on the number of nano-research papers published from 1996 to 2000. The 2010-2011 The Times Higher Education Rankings ranked USTC 49th overall in the world and 2nd in China. The 2010 QS World University Rankings ranked USTC 154th overall in the world, coming 71st in Engineering & IT, 102nd in Life Sciences & Biomedicine, and 77th in Natural Sciences.
USTC actively encourages and push forward transfer of the research results and the industrialization of high and new technology. The University-Region (Enterprise) Cooperation Committee was established for the strengthening of the cooperation with the local governments and enterprises. It has established and developed the relationship of cooperation with some famous large and medium-sized enterprises such as the Daqing Petroleum Administration, Sinopec, the Bao Steel Group, Lenovo Group, and Haier Group. In total, 16 local governments and enterprises have become members of the USTC-Region (Enterprise) Cooperation Committee. Some research results incubation bases have been established, such as the Hefei National University Garden of Science and Technology, the Luohe Hi-tech Garden, the Guiyang Industrial Garden of Science and Technology, the Shanghai Research and Development Center, and the Shenzhen Futian Base of Industry, Teaching and Research. The Anhui Provincial Government and USTC have jointly presented the "Province-University Cooperation Program", fostering the industrialization of technological results. USTC also actively files applications for the "Seed Funds" established by prefectures and cities in China, sparing no efforts in making contribution to the regional economic construction and social development.
USTC has concluded agreements of cooperation and exchange with around 100 universities and research institutions in more than 30 nations and regions. Around 300 international experts and scholars will visit USTC every year for lecturing and collaborative research. USTC has sent around 10,000 individual visits to more than 30 nations and regions for study and cooperative research.
There are 16 affiliated academic societies, including the Synchrotron Radiation Committee under the China Society of Physics, the System Simulation Committee under the China Society of Automation, and the Quantum Optics Committee under the China Society of Physics.
Only the national laboratories and state key laboratories are listed below, while the former ones with higher qualification. USTC is the only university in mainland China which possess two National Laboratories at the same time.
National Laboratories (2)
- The National Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory 
- HFNL Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Science at the Microscale (under construction). jsp
Key Laboratories & Units
- The Engineering & Technology Research Center for Thermal Safety, CAS 
- The State Key Laboratory of Fire Science 
- The Key Laboratory of Material Mechanical Behavior and Material Design, CAS
- The Key Laboratory of Quantum Information, CAS 
Schools and Departments
Highlights: USTC set up the first graduate school in China in 1978 to effectively cultivate its postgraduate students.
- Special Class for the Gifted Young
- Department of Mathematics
- School of Physics
- Modern Physics
- Optics and Optical Engineering
- School of Chemistry and Materials
- Polymer Science and Engineering
- Chemical Physics
- Materials Science & Engineering
- School of Nuclear Science
- School of Life Science
- Molecular Biology and Cell Biology
- Neurobiology and Biophysics
- Systems Biology
- Biomedicine and Biotechnology
- School of Engineering Science
- Modern Mechanics
- Thermal Science and Energy Engineering
- Precision Machinery and Instrumentation
- School of Information Science and Technology
- Electronic Science and Technology
- Electrical Engineering and Information Science
- School of Computer Science and Technology
- School of Earth and Space Science
- Earth and Space Science
- School of Business
- Business Administration Training
- Statistics and Finance
- Management Science
- Information Management and Decision Science
- Humanities & Social Science
- Sci-tech Communication and Sci-tech Policy
- The Teaching and Research Division of Marxism
- Scientific History and Archaeometry
- Center for Modern Art
- Suzhou Institute for Advanced Study, USTC
- Shanghai Institute for Advanced Studies, USTC
- Continuing Education
- Xiao-gang Wen- Cecil and Ida Green Professor of Physics, MIT
- Xiuxiong Chen - Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Weinan E - Professor, Department of Mathematics and Program in Applied and Computational Mathematics, Princeton University
- Dongming Wang - Cheung Kong Professor of Computer Mathematics at BUAA, Laboratoire d'Informatique de Paris 6
- Peidong Yang- Professor, Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley
- Steven Kou - Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, Columbia University
- Rugang Ye - Professor of Department of Mathematics, University of California Santa Barbara
- Qiang Du- Verne M. Willaman Professor of Mathematics, Penn State University
- Stephen Y. Chou- Joseph C. Elgin Professor of Engineering, Princeton University
- Fang Lizhi Former vice president of USTC, later became Professor of Physics at the University of Arizona, recipient of Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award
- Liqun Luo- Professor of Biological Sciences, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator, Stanford University
- Xiaowei Zhuang- Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology & Physics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator, Harvard University
- Zhong Shao- Professor of Computer Science, Yale University
- Chi-Wang Shu- Theodore B. Stowell University Professor, Chairman(1999–2005), Division of Applied Mathematics, ISI Highly Cited Author in Mathematics by the ISI Web of Knowledge, Brown University
- Kai Li - Charles C. Fitzmorris Professor of Computer Science, Princeton University
- Shan X. Wang- Professor of Materials Science and Engineering & Electrical Engineering, Director of Stanford Center for Magnetic Nanotechnology, Stanford University
- Ya-Qin Zhang - Corporate Vice President, Chairman of Microsoft China and Microsoft Research China Microsoft
- Yuanqing Yang- Chairman of the Board and former CEO, Lenovo Group
- Ruimin Zhang- CEO of Haier Group
- Huimin Zhao - Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Illinois
- Wei Xiong - Professor of Economics, Princeton University
- Jiti Gao - Professor with Chair in Econometrics, Department of Economics, University of Adelaide
- Guo Moruo (1892–1978) - A Chinese author, poet, historian, archaeologist, the first president of USTC.
- Yan Jici (1901–1996) - Pioneer of Modern physics research and education in China, former Vice-president, President and Honorary President of USTC.
- Hua Luogeng (1910–1985) - Pioneer of modern mathematics research and education in China, former Chairman of the Department of Mathematics and Vice-president of USTC.
- Qian Xuesen (1911–2009) - Father of missiles of China, former Chairman of the Department of Mechanics with USTC.
- Zhao Zhongyao (1902–1998) - Pioneer of modern particle physics research and education in China, one of the first in the world to find positrons, former Chairman of the Department of Modern Physics with USTC.
- Qian Linzhao (1906–1999) - Famous physicist and educator, pioneer of scientific history and education in China, former Vice-president of USTC.
- Zhou Guangzhao (1929- ) - Famous theoretical physicist, Vice-chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress of China, Honorary President of USTC at present.
- Meng Xuenong (1948-) - Former Mayor of Beijing, and former Governor of Shanxi Province
- Fang Lizhi (1936- ) - Former professor of astrophysics and vice president of the USTC
- List of universities and colleges in Anhui
- List of universities in China
- ^ http://ai.ustc.edu.cn/rco/images/ustc3.jpg
- ^ http://www.ustc.edu.cn/en/article/33/42ff23ec/
- ^ China Vitae
- ^ http://www.ustc.edu.cn/en/article/0b/42fe19ba/
- ^ "World Rankings 2010-2011: Top 200". The Times Higher Education. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html.
- ^ "QS World University Rankings 2010 Results". http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010/results.
- ^ http://www.nsrl.ustc.edu.cn/en
- ^ http://www.hfnl.ustc.edu.cn/ustc/front_en/index
- ^ http://www.ustc.edu.cn/en/article/39/42fe1698/
- ^ http://fire.ustc.edu.cn/index.php
- ^ http://www.ustc.edu.cn/en/article/33/42fe1764/
- ^ MIT Department of Physics
- ^ Xiuxiong Chen's Home Page
- ^ Professor Weinan E
- ^ Dongming Wang
- ^ 
- ^ Steven Kou's home page
- ^ Rick Rugang Ye
In Memoriam: Prof. Ky Fan
- ^ QIANG DU's Bio
- ^ Stephen Y. Chou
- ^ HHMI Scientist Bio: Liqun Luo, Ph.D
- ^ HHMI Scientist Bio: Xiaowei Zhuang, Ph.D
- ^ Zhong Shao: Faculty - Computer Science at Yale
- ^ Applied Math at Brown University
- ^ Kai Li
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/yzhang/
- ^ Management - United States
- ^ Higher Education
- ^ CEO Zhang Ruimin Listed as One of Top 10 Leading Figures in China Brand Culture Building Haier Group Listed as One of Top 10 Leading Companies in China Brand Culture Building ...
- ^ Welcome to the Zhao Group Webpage!
- ^ Wei Xiong Research Page
- ^ Professor Jiti Gao | The University of Adelaide Staff Directory
- Official website (Chinese)
- Official website (English)
- History of USTC
- USTC Alumni General Association
- USTC Alumni Foundation
- USTC Alumni in Japan
- USTC Students' BBS
Association of East Asian Research Universities China Hong Kong SAR of CHINA Korea Taiwan Japan Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU) China Hong Kong Japan South Korea Russia Canada Mexico United States Australia New Zealand Chile Indonesia Malaysia Philippines Singapore Taiwan Thailand C9 League Project 985 Beijing (8) Shanghai (4) Zhejiang (1) Jiangsu (2) Anhui (1)University of Science and Technology of China Shaanxi (3) Heilongjiang (1) Jilin (1) Liaoning (2) Tianjin (2) Shandong (2) Gansu (1) Hubei (2) Hunan (3) Fujian (1) Chongqing (1) Sichuan (2) Guangdong (2) Universities and colleges in Anhui National Provincial· Bengbu Medical College · Chaohu University · Fuyang Teachers College · Anhui University Ω · Anhui Agricultural University · Anhui University of Architecture · Anhui Medical University · Anhui University of Traditional Chinese Medicine · Hefei University · Huaibei Coal Industry Teachers College · Anhui University of Science and Technology Ω · Huainan Normal University · Huangshan University · West Anhui University · Anhui University of Technology · Tongling University · Anhui Normal University · Wan'nan Institute of Medicine · Anhui University of Technology and ScienceSee also: List of universities in China
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.