- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
name=Shanghai Jiao Tong University
president= Zhang Jie 张杰
coor=coord|31|12|3|N|121|25|47|E|region:CN-31_type:edu|display=inline,title|name=Shanghai Jiao Tong University
3,445 Medical Schoolcite web | url = http://www.sjtu.edu.cn/newsnet/gallery/2006_11_30/2006_2007Book1.xls | title = 2006–07 Factbook (Undergraduate) | publisher = Shanghai Jiao Tong University | format = XLS | accessdate = 2006-11-30]
2,747 Medical Schoolcite web | url = http://www.sjtu.edu.cn/newsnet/gallery/2006_11_30/2006_2007Book2.xls | title = 2006–07 Factbook (Postgraduate)| publisher = Shanghai Jiao Tong University | format = XLS | accessdate = 2006-11-30]
postgrad_label=graduate and professional
website= [http://www.sjtu.edu.cn/ 中文] [http://www.sjtu.edu.cn/english/index/index.htm en]
Shanghai Jiao Tong University (zh-stp|s=上海交通大学|t=上海交通大學|p=Shànghǎi Jiāotōng Dàxué; abbreviated Jiao Da (交大) or SJTU), located in
Shanghai, is one of the oldest and most influential universities in China. The university is under the jurisdiction of both the Ministry of Education and Shanghai Government.
In 1896, Nanyang Public School was founded in
Shanghaiby an imperial edict issued by Guangxu Emperor, under the Business and Telegraphs Office of the imperial government. Four schools were established: the normal school, school of foreign studies, middle school and a high school. Sheng Xuanhuai, the proposer of the edict, became the first president and was regarded as the founder of the university.
In 1904, the Ministry of Commerce took over the school and changed its name to Imperial Polytechnic College of the Commerce Ministry a year later. In 1906, the college went under the Ministry of Posts and Telegraphs and changed its name to Shanghai Industrial College of the Ministry of Posts and Telegraphs. When the
Republic of Chinawas founded, the college was run by the Ministry of Communications and changed its name once again to Government Institute of Technology of the Communications Ministry. In 1918, the republic government founded the School of Management and it became one of the oldest academic institutes.
In 1920, the institute merged with two other colleges and changed its name to Nan Yang College of Chiao Tung. In the 1930s, it was known as the "Eastern MIT"cite web | url = http://wunit.xjtu.edu.cn/archives/News/Show.asp?id=1769 | title = During the last century: Eastern MIT | publisher = Xi'an Jiao Tong University | accessdate = 2007-06-19] due to its reputation of nurturing top engineers. In 1938, the Ministry of Education took over the university and renamed it National Chiao Tung University (the separate institution of
National Chiao Tung Universityin Taiwan, is still known by name). In 1943, the graduate school was founded.
At the end of the
Chinese Civil War, in 1952, the new Communist government adopted a policy of creating Soviet-style specialized schools. Under this policy, some faculties of the university were incorporated into other universities. At the same time, engineering faculties from outside were absorbed to create a specialized engineering university. A bigger rearrangement came in 1956 for the school when the national government decided strategically to send a significant amount of its faculties to Xi'anto help create another top engineering school - Xi'an Jiaotong Universityin western Chinese province Shaanxi. Afterwards, the school was officially renamed Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Shanghai Second Medical Universitywas merged into Shanghai Jiao Tong University on July 18, 2005, under the name Medical School of Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Ever since its foundation, Shanghai Jiao Tong University enjoyed the reputation as a leading institution of research and higher education in China.
At present, the university comprises 20 academic schools, two directly affiliated departments and one
graduate school. It also has a School of Continuing (adult) Education, School of Online Learning, School of International Education, and a Vocational School. There are 60 undergraduateprograms, 179 master-degree programs, 6 professional master-degree programs, 22 disciplines and 143 sub-disciplines authorized to confer Ph.Ddegrees, 23 post-doctorate programs, 22 state key doctorate programs and six state key laboratories and four national engineering centers. Its total enrollment of full-time students amounts over 38,000. There are 19,432 undergraduates, 13,628 candidates for Master's Degree and Doctor's Degree and 2,080 foreign studentscite web | url = http://www.sjtu.edu.cn/intro/statistics/new/ | title = 2006–07 Factbooks| publisher = Shanghai Jiao Tong University | accessdate = 2006-11-30] .
The university has more than 1,420 professors and associate professors, including 15 academicians of the
Chinese Academy of Sciences, 20 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, seven chief scientists of the national 973 project and 31 "Cheung Kong Scholars". More than 100 famous scientists and specialists as honorable professors or consulting professors, including the physicists and Nobel prizewinners Yang Zhenning, Tsung-Dao Leeand Ding Zhaozhong have been invited.
Academic Ranking of World Universities
Since 2003, Shanghai Jiao Tong University has produced the
Academic Ranking of World Universities[ [http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ranking2007.htm Academic Ranking of World Universities - 2007 ] ] which analyses the top universities in the world on quality of faculty (40%), research output (40%), quality of education (10%) and performance vs. size (10%). [ [http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ARWU2007Methodology.htm ADRW2007-Methodology ] ] Its ranking is exclusively of research, mainly in the empirical sciences.
* [http://cem.sjtu.edu.cn/ Naval Architecture, Ocean and Civil Engineering]
* [http://me.sjtu.edu.cn/ Mechanical Engineering]
* [http://www.seiee.sjtu.edu.cn/ Electronic, Information and Electrical Engineering]
* [http://smse.sjtu.edu.cn/ Materials Science and Engineering]
*Sciences :* [http://www.math.sjtu.edu.cn/ Mathematics] :* [http://www.physics.sjtu.edu.cn/index_en.php Physics]
* [http://life.sjtu.edu.cn/ Life Science and biotechnology]
* [http://shss.sjtu.edu.cn/ Humanities]
* [http://ccce.sjtu.edu.cn/ Chemistry and Chemical Technology]
* [http://www.asom.sjtu.edu.cn/index.jsp Economics and Management]
* [http://www.sipa.sjtu.edu.cn/ International and Public Affairs]
* [http://sfl.sjtu.edu.cn/ Foreign Languages]
* [http://www.agri.sjtu.edu.cn/ Agriculture and Biology]
* [http://sese.sjtu.edu.cn/ Environmental Science and Engineering]
* [http://pharm.sjtu.edu.cn/ Pharmaceutics]
* [http://www.shsmu.edu.cn/ Medical]
* [http://law.sjtu.edu.cn/ Law]
* [http://smd.sjtu.edu.cn/ Media and Design]
* [http://ic.sjtu.edu.cn/ Micro-electronics]
* [http://infosec.sjtu.edu.cn/index.do Information Security Engineering]
* [http://se.sjtu.edu.cn/sites/se/gb/top.htm Software Engineering]
Directly affiliated departments
* [http://nmcad.sjtu.edu.cn/index.asp Department of Plastic Technology]
* [http://tiyuxi.sjtu.edu.cn/ Department of Sports]
* [http://www.gs.sjtu.edu.cn Graduate School website]
* [http://www.usc.edu/dept/publications/cat2006/schools/business/masters/global.html Global Executive MBA Program] (In collaboration with the
University of Southern California)
* [http://www.aero.sjtu.edu.cn/main/ Institute of Aerospace Science and Technology]
* [http://mnri.sjtu.edu.cn/ Research Institute of Micro/Nano Science and Technology]
* [http://energy.sjtu.edu.cn/index.htm Institute of Energy]
* [http://www.ipmch.com.cn/ CWI International Peace Maternity and Child Health Hospital]
* [http://www.rjh.com.cn/ Ruijin Hospital (Shanghai Ruijin Hospital Group)]
* [http://www.renji.com/ Renji Hospital]
* [http://www.firsthospital.cn/hospital/index.asp Shanghai First People's Hospital]
* [http://www.6thhosp.com/ Shanghai Sixth People's Hospital]
* [http://www.9hospital.com/index.asp Shanghai Ninth People's Hospital]
* [http://www.bghospital.cn/ Shanghai Third People's Hospital (Bao Gang Hospital)]
* [http://www.scmc.com.cn/ Shanghai Children's Medical Center]
Shanghai Chest Hospital( [http://www.shxkyy.com/ website] )
Shanghai Mental Health Center( [http://www.smhc.org.cn website] )
Shanghai Children's Hospital( [http://www.shchildren.com.cn/ website] )
* [http://www.xinhua-scmc.com.cn/Web/FirstPage.aspx Xinhua Hospital]
The previous main campus was located in
Xuhui Districtof Shanghai, formerly a largely Catholicarea and a site of several educational institutions. Nowadays, the economic boom makes the Xuhui campus a garden surrounded by skyscrapers.
Most buildings on campus were influenced by American architecture, while the main gate, which was built in 1935, is of traditional Chinese style reflecting the University's earlier status as the "Imperial Polytechnic College". The approaches to the main gate were via a series of marble bridges, similar to, although smaller than, those built in front of
Tiananmen. However, recent road expansions have demolished the river as well as most of bridges. A copy of this famous gate scene have been built on the east of Minhang campus.
The construction of the campus never come to an end in the past century. Existing buildings: the Medium College building(built in 1898), the original library (built in 1919), the gymnasium (built in 1925), the administrative building (built in 1933), the Xinjian building (built in 1953), the new Upper College building (built in 1955), the second teaching building (built in 1960), Bao Zhaolong library (built in 1985) and Haoran high-tech building (built in 1996) were constructed one after another.
The university's School of International Education is located here, where a large number of international students take classes throughout the academic year. The campus still houses a variety of scientific research institutions, [http://oe.sjtu.edu.cn/_ENGLISH.HTM State Key Laboratory of Ocean Engineering] for instance, although most moved to the new campus since 1987.
The Minhang campus is located in the
Minhang Districton the outskirts of metropolitan Shanghai. This young campus, which was founded in 1987, covers 2,822,903m2 once farmland. Zizhu Science Park, where Intel, ST Microelectronics, Microsoftand other high-tech companies put their R&Dcenters, is to the south of the campus.
Currently, most administrative and academic framework of the university and the majority of undergraduate and graduate students were moved to this campus, which is now accompanied by the newly built Minhang Campus of
East China Normal University.
outh Chongqing Road Campus
It is formerly the campus of
Shanghai Second Medical University, which is located in the Luwan Districtof Shanghai. The Aurora University (Shanghai), a pre-eminent Catholic university in Shanghai, was located there before 1952.
In 1999, Shanghai Agricultural College was merged into SJTU, and its campus became Qibao Campus of the university. It's located in 2678 Qixin Rd. Postal code is 201101.
hangzhong Road Campus
Fahuazheng Road Campus
Tsien Hsue-shen(錢學森) - missile and space program chief scientist
Jiang Zemin(江澤民) - former President of the People's Republic of China
Wang Daohan(汪道涵) - paramount politician who held the famous Wang-Koo talkstogether with Koo Chen-fu
Cai E(蔡鍔) - famous general, founder of the Republican Protection Armyagainst Yuan Shikai
Ding Guangen(丁關根) - politician
Lu Dingyi(陸定一) - politician
Huang Yanpei(黃炎培) - politician
Wu Wenjun(吳文俊) - mathematician
Jiang Jianqing(姜建清) - president and chairman of the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China.
An Wang(王安) - computer scientist and inventor, founder of Wang Laboratories
Neil Shen(沈南鵬) - founder of Ctrip.com, head of SequoiaChina.
Qiang Boqin(强伯勤) - molecular biologist
Shao Lizi(邵力子) - literature, politician
Wen Tsing Chow(周文俊) - missile guidance scientist and digital computer pioneer
Zhang Guangdou(张光斗) - world-known specialist in hydraulic engineering
Zou Taofen(鄒韜奮) - correspondent
Yang Yuanqing(杨元庆) - chairman of the LenovoGroup Limited
* Teng Shanghua (滕尚华) - computer scientist,
Of all the fellows of the
Chinese Academy of Sciencesand Chinese Academy of Engineering, more than 200 are the alumni of Shanghai Jiaotong University.
* [http://www.sjtu.org/sjtuaa/index.php Online Community For Shanghai Jiaotong University Alumni]
* [http://www.sjtu.jp/gb/ Shanghai Jiao Tong University Alumni Association in Japan]
* [http://www.sjtuaa.org.sg/cm/ Shanghai Jiao Tong University Alumni Association in Singapore]
* [http://www.sjtuaaa.com/main.asp Shanghai Jiaotong University Alumni Association in Shenzhen]
* [http://www.sjtu-sv.net/ Shanghai Jiao Tong University Alumni Association of Silicon Valley]
* [http://www.ctuaa.org/web0826/ Chiao Tung University Alumni Association in Northern California]
* [http://www.ctuaa-sc.com/ Jiao Tong/Chiao Tung University Alumni Association of Southern California]
List of universities in Mainland China
Asia Technology Initiative
* [http://www.sjtu.edu.cn Shanghai Jiao Tong University]
* [http://www.sjtu.edu.cn/english/index/index.htm SJTU's English website]
* [http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2006/ranking2006.htm SJTU 2006 rankings]
* [http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ranking2007.htm SJTU 2007 rankings]
* [http://sjtu.6dxy.com/ Shanghai Jiao Tong University 3d map]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.