- Renmin University of China
Renmin University of China 中国人民大学 Motto Seek Truth from Facts (实事求是) Established 1937 Type National President Ji Baocheng Academic staff 1,618 (December 2006) Students 18,998 (December 2006) Undergraduates 9,571 Postgraduates 9,427 Location Beijing, China Campus Urban Website http://english.ruc.edu.cn/en/
Renmin University of China; RUC, also known as People's University of China (simplified Chinese: 中国人民大学; traditional Chinese: 中國人民大學; pinyin: Zhōngguó Rénmín Dàxué), colloquially Renda (Chinese: 人大; pinyin: Réndà), is a major research university in Haidian District, Beijing, China. Its campus neighbors those of Peking University and Tsinghua University.
Renmin University is one of the most prestigious universities in China, with a distinct focus on humanities and social sciences. Renmin University has produced many influential figures in China's reform and development, and is home to many outstanding scholars in law, economics, journalism and other fields. As measured by admission scores of China's National Higher Education Entrance Examination, Renmin University has consistently ranked among the top three most selective Chinese universities in the liberal arts and social science division.
The High School Affiliated to Renmin University of China is one of the most prestigious high schools in Beijing, and a sister school of Phillips Academy in Massachusetts and Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire.
The predecessor of the university was Shan Bei Public School (陕北公学), established in 1937 during the Second Sino-Japanese War. Later it was renamed the North China United University and North China University. Renmin University of China was officially established in 1950, the first national university of People's Republic of China. Wu Yuzhang, Cheng Fangwu, Guo Yingqiu, Yuan Baohua, Huang Da, and Li Wenhai have successively held the presidential posts. The current university president is Prof. Ji Baocheng, a renowned economist and educator.
Currently Renmin University consists of 23 schools, 13 research institutes and the graduate school, with 60 specialties for undergraduate, 8 specialties for the second-bachelor's degree students, 140 specialties for the Master's degree candidates and 92 specialties for the Doctor's degree candidates. Renmin University is entitled 25 national key disciplines, ranks No.5 of China, 13 national key research bases of humanities and social sciences, ranks No.1 of China, and 6 national teaching and research bases of fundamental arts disciplines, ranks No.1 of China.
The University library has 2.5 million holdings, and is recognized as the Information Center of Arts Literatures by the Ministry of Education. The new library building opened in the second half of 2011. The Renmin University of China Press is one of the most famous publishers and the first university press in China which has published a large number of academic works in humanities and social sciences.
Renmin University has established its communications with 125 universities and research institutions of 32 countries and regions, which enables the University to be the center of academic and cultural communications between China and foreign countries. Many famous scholars have given lectures or attended special seminars in Renmin University, including the Nobel Prize in Economics winners Robert Mundell, Joseph E. Stiglitz, Michael Spence, John Forbes Nash, Edmund S. Phelps and Reinhard Selten.
Renmin University of China is one of the leading humanities and social science-focused universities in China, gaining national recognition for excellence in theoretical economics, applied economics, legal studies, sociology, and journalism & communication. According to the evaluation report of Ministry of Education of China, Renmin University of China Law School, Economics, Sociology, School of Journalism rank top one among China's universities. Generally speaking Renmin University is considered as one of the best places for social science students in China.
Schools and Departments
- The School of Agricultural Economics & Rural Development
- The School of Business
- The School of Continuing Education
- The School of Economics
- The School of Environment & Natural Resources
- The School of Finance
- The School of Foreign Languages
- The School of History
- The School of Information
- The School of Information Resource Management
- The School of International Studies
- The School of Journalism
- The School of Labor and Human Resources
- The School of Law
- The School of Literary Studies
- The School of Marxism Studies
- The School of Teaching Chinese as Foreign Language
- The School of Philosophy
- The School of Public Administration and Policy
- The School of Statistics
- The School of Sociology & Population Studies
- The School of Arts
- The Institute of Qing History
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemisty
- School of Education and Training 
Renmin University is located at No.59 Zhongguancun Street, Haidian district, and is less than 5–10 minutes drive away from other top schools in the nation, for example, Peking University, Tsinghua University, Beijing Institute of Technology and Beijing Foreign Studies University. It is also only less than 10 minutes away from the Old Summer Palace and Summer Palace.
The English Corner at Renmin University is very famous in Beijing. Every Friday evening, people gather at the Qiushi Garden near the east gate to practice English. It is a good place to meet and communicate with the students of the university and the common people of China.
Renmin University is host to about 1,165 international students at present and many of the students are from South Korea. There are so many South Korean students that the International Students Dining Room has a separate Korean menu aside from their traditional Chinese menu.
- Huang Da 黄达 - Professor Emeritus, School of Finance; President, Renmin University of China (1991-1994).
- Jin Canrong 金灿荣 - Professor, School of International Studies.
- Mao Shoulong 毛寿龙 - Professor, School of Public Administration.
- Pan Suiming 潘绥明 - Professor of Sexology.
- Shi Yinhong 时殷宏 - Professor, School of International Studies.
- Wang Liming 王利明 - Professor and former dean (2005-09), School of Law, renowned scholar of civil law.
- Wen Tiejun 温铁军 - Professor and dean, School of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Wu Xiaoqiu 吴晓求 - Professor, School of Finance.
- Yang Ruilong 杨瑞龙 - Professor and dean, School of Economics.
- Zeng Xianyi 曾宪义 - Professor Emeritus and former dean (1990-2005), School of Law, renowned scholar of legal history.
- Zhang Ming 张鸣 - Professor, School of International Studies.
- Zhou Xiaozheng 周孝正 - Professor of Sociology.
- Liu Yu 刘瑜 - Political scientist at Tsinghua University, author of national bestseller "Details of Democracy." Liu earned PhD from Columbia University, conducted postdoctoral work at Harvard and taught at Cambridge University for three years.
- Qian Liqun 钱理群 - Professor, Department of Chinese Language and Literature, Peking University.
- Wu Shuqing 吴树青 - President of Peking University (1989-1996), economist.
- Zheng Wentong 郑文通 - Associate Professor, SUNY Buffalo School of Law. Zheng earned PhD in economics and JD from Stanford University.
- Zhou Qiren 周其仁 - Economist (PhD, UCLA), Director of the National School of Development (previously known as the Chinese Center for Economic Research, CCER), Peking University.
Law and Politics
- Han Xu 韩叙 - China's ambassador to the United States (1985-1989).
- Liu Yandong 刘延东 - Current highest-ranking female politician in China, and the only woman with a seat on the Politburo.
- Ma Kai 马凯 - Chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission (2003-2008).
- Xiao Yang 肖扬 - Chief Justice of the Supreme People's Court (1998-2003, 2003-2008).
Business and Media
- Duan Yongping 段永平 - Famous entrepreneur and investor, founder of Subor (Xiao Ba Wang; Chinese: 小霸王, Pinyin: Xiǎo Bàwáng) and BBK (Bu Bu Gao; Chinese: 步步高, Pinyin: Bù Bù Gāo). Duan and his wife Liu Xin donated US $30 million to Renmin University in March 2010. 
- Hu Shuli 胡舒立 - Founder and editor-in-chief of the prestigious business magazine, Caijing the most powerful and popular financial magazine.
- Liu Lefei 刘乐飞 - Chairman, Citic Private Equity Funds Management.
- Pan Gonsheng 潘功胜 - Executive Vice President, Agricultural Bank of China. Pan led the AgBank's US$22.1 billion IPO (the largest IPO in the world) in 2010, and the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China's US$21.9 billion IPO (then world record) in 2006.
- Wang Qing 王庆 - Chief Economist, Morgan Stanley Greater China (2007- ). 
- Xiang Junbo 项俊波 - Chairman, Agricultural Bank of China (2009- ).
- Xiao Gang 肖钢 - Chairman, Bank of China (2003- ).
- Yang Weiguang 杨伟光 - President, China Central Television (CCTV) (1991-1999).
- Zhang Lei 张磊 - Founder and President of Hillhouse Capital Management,donated $8,888,888 to School of Management,Yale at 2010.
- Wang Xiaobo 王小波 - Modern writer, popular and influential among China's youth. He is also the husband of Li Yinhe, renowned sociologist and sexologist.
- Zhang Jie 张洁 - Writer, graduated from RUC in 1960. Her work has won many prizes.
- Guo Jingjing 郭晶晶 - 3m Springboard and Synchronized Springboard gold medals winner at the 2004 Summer Olympics
- Wang Junxia 王军霞 - Winner of a gold medal and a silver medal in woman's track in the 1996 Summer Olympics; record holder of the woman's 10000m from 1993 with a time of 29:31:78.
- Zeng Jinyan 曾金燕 - Human rights activist, one of the Time 100, 2007; wife of Hu Jia, recipient of the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought in 2008.
- Zhang Zhixin 张志新 - Dissident imprisoned and executed for criticising the idolisation of Mao Zedong during the Cultural Revolution.
Renmin University maintains collaborative relationships and exchange programs with many well-known universities around the world, such as Boston College Law School, Columbia University, Princeton University, Waseda University, University of Chicago and Yale University. In January 2010, Zhang Lei, a graduate of Renmin University and Yale School of Management (SOM), donated US$8,888,888 to the SOM, the largest alumni gift the school had received.  Under the auspices of the gift, Renmin University students study at Yale through a summer program.
Renmin University is a popular destination for visiting foreign dignitaries. During his state visit to China in January 2008, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown visited Renmin University with Premier Wen Jiabao to talk with students, scholars, sportsmen and entrepreneurs. 
The research and opinions of Renmin University professors are frequently cited in influential media outlets, such as the New York Times. Professors cited in the New York Times in recent years include Chen Weidong, Hou Dongming, Jin Canrong, Pan Suiming, Shi Yinhong, Zhang Ming, Zhou Xiaozheng, among others, and their expertise covers law, economics, sociology, political science and international relations.
- ^ The University of Chicago Center in Beijing
- ^ Links to Schools and Departments
- ^ Couple raises $30M for Renmin. China Economic Review
- ^ Morgan Stanley Hires Qing Wang as Greater China Economist. Morgan Stanley
- ^ SOM announces largest alumni gift to date. Yale Daily News
- ^ China, Britain highlight rapport, friendship amid deals. Xinhua
- ^ Students from Renmin University School of Finance participate in the National Model United Nations 2011 conference.
- University Official Website (English)
- TDRD Internet Bulletin The quasi-official student internet forum of Renmin University (Chinese)
- RUCOL Forum A non-official student internet forum of Renmin University (Chinese)
Project 985 Beijing (8) Shanghai (4) Zhejiang (1) Jiangsu (2) Anhui (1) Shaanxi (3) Heilongjiang (1) Jilin (1) Liaoning (2) Tianjin (2) Shandong (2) Gansu (1) Hubei (2) Hunan (3) Fujian (1) Chongqing (1) Sichuan (2) Guangdong (2) Universities and colleges in Beijing NationalPeking University · Tsinghua University · Beijing Electronic Science and Technology Institute · Beijing Foreign Studies University · Beijing Forestry University · Beijing Institute of Technology · Beijing Jiaotong University · Beijing Language and Culture University · Beijing Normal University · Beijing People's Police College · Chinese People's Public Security University · Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics · Beijing University of Chemical Technology · Beijing University of Chinese Medicine · Beijing University of Petroleum · Beijing University of Physical Education · Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications · Central Academy of Drama · Central Conservatory of Music · Central University of Finance and Economics · China Agricultural University · China Central Academy of Fine Arts · China Foreign Affairs University · China Institute of Industrial Relations · China University of Geosciences at Beijing · China University of Mining & Technology at Beijing · China University of Political Science and Law · China Women's University · China Youth University for Political Sciences · Communications University of China · Minzu University of China · North China Electric Power University at Beijing · North China University of Technology · Open University of China · Peking Union Medical College · Renmin University of China · University of International Business and Economics · University of International Relations · University of Science and Technology Beijing MunicipalBeijing Information Science & Technology University · Beijing Institute of Petrochemical Technology · Beijing Dance Academy · Beijing Film Academy · Beijing Institute of Clothing Technology · Beijing Institute of Machinery · Beijing International Studies University · Beijing Materials University · Beijing Technology and Business University · Beijing Union University · Beijing University of Agriculture · Beijing University of Technology · Capital Normal University · Capital University of Economics and Business · Capital University of Medical Sciences · China College of Music · North China University of Technology · PrivateBeijing City College
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.