- Telecommunications in Vietnam
Vietnam is putting considerable effort into modernization and expansion of its telecommunication system, but its performance continues to lag behind that of its more modern neighbors. Domestically, all provincial exchanges are digitalized and connected to Hanoi, Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City by fiber optic cable or microwave radio relay networks. Main lines have been substantially increased, and the use of mobile telephones is growing rapidly.
- As of 2004, there were 10,124,900 main lines in use, and 4.96 million mobile phones in use.
- 44 mil telephone subscribers, 75.5% mobile cellular (30mil), density 52 phones for 100 people (2007).
- 18,64 human/ 100 peole using Internet, 1.41 mil ADSL subscribers (Jan 2008).
- 12.000 BTS (Oct 2007).
- The international country code is 84.
Two satellite earth stations are in use: Intersputnik (Indian Ocean region).
- Viettel Mobile (directly under Viettel Corp.): 097, 098, 0163, 0164, 0165, 0166, 0167, 0168, 0169
- MobiFone (directly under VMS): 090, 093, 0120, 0121, 0122, 0126, 0128
- VinaPhone (directly under VNPT): 091, 094, 0123, 0125, 0127, 0129 
- S-Fone (directly under CDMA S-Telecom): 095
- Vietnamobile (ex-HT Mobile): 092, 0188 
- Beeline (directly under G-Tel): 0199
- EVNTelecom (directly under Vietnam Electricity): 096
- Broadcast stations: six (plus 61 provincial TV stations) (as of 2006)
Although basic Internet services had existed in Vietnam since the early nineties, the first commercial Internet Service Provider (ISP) opened for business in 1997. Since 1997 Vietnam has been connected by two gateways: one in Hanoi which connects with Hong Kong and Australia, and the other in Ho Chi Minh City, which connects with the United States by Sprint.
Internet usage remains low in comparison with that of other Asian nations, yet connectivity has increased rapidly over the past few years, thanks to an initiative by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications.
There are five ISPs operating: Netnam Company ,Vietnam Data Communication Company (VDC), Corporation for Finance and Promoting Technology (FPT), Saigon Post and Telecommunications Services Corporation (Saigon Postel Corporation, SPT) and Viettel Company.
Some statistics for 2009:
Year Users Nat Prop (%) International Bandwidth (Bit/s) Domestic Bandwidth (Bit/s) 2000 2003 804,528 3.80 1,036 2006 4,059,392 17.67 7,000 2009 20,894,705 24.47 53,659 68,760
- ^ Vietteltelecom.vn
- ^ Mobifone.com.vn
- ^ Vinaphone.com.vn
- ^ Sfone.com.vn
- ^ Vietnammobile.com.vn
- ^ Beeline.vn
- ^ EVNtelecom.com.vn
- Việt Nam Cultural Profile - More information about broadcasting and Internet in Việt Nam
Telecommunications in Asia Sovereign
- Burma (Myanmar)
- People's Republic of China
- East Timor (Timor-Leste)
- North Korea
- South Korea
- Saudi Arabia
- Sri Lanka
- United Arab Emirates
States with limited
- Northern Cyprus
- Republic of China (Taiwan)
- South Ossetia
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.