- Christ Church, Hampstead
Christ Church, Hampstead Coordinates: Country UK Denomination Church of England Architecture Designated 1850 Architect(s) Samuel Daukes Style Early English Gothic Completed 1852 Administration Deanery North Camden Archdeaconry Hampstead Diocese Diocese of London Clergy Vicar(s) Paul Conrad
The present church was erected between 1850 and 1852 to designs by the architect Samuel Daukes in the Early English Gothic style. In 1860 a timber gallery was erected by Sir Gilbert Scott (this was dismantled in the 1960s). In 1881-1882 the north porch and aisle were added to designs by Ewan Christian. The church is constructed of Kentish ragstone with Portland stone dressings and slate roofs.
- John Pelham 1852 - 1855
- Edward Bickersteth 1855 - 1885
- George Frederick Head 1885 - 1897
- James Bevan 1888 - 1892
- George Sidney Streatfeild 1901 - ????
- Thomas Brocas Waters 1917 - 1922
- Paul Conrad
The church has a ring of eight bells, the heaviest of which weighs in at 24cwt. They were installed in 2005 after Michael Royalton-Kisch, the current tower captain, single-handedly raised £100,000 to replace the old, unsafe bells. The current band practices on a Wednesday evening at 7pm, and rings for most Sunday services.
Bell Weight Note Cast Founder Treble 6-0-1 Eb 1938 Gillett & Johnston 2 6-3-2 D 2005 Whitechapel Bell Foundry 3 7-0-26 C 1938 Gillett & Johnston 4 8-0-4 Bb 2005 Whitechapel Bell Foundry 5 10-2-12 Ab 1938 Gillett & Johnston 6 12-1-26 G 2005 Whitechapel Bell Foundry 7 17-0-8 F 2005 Whitechapel Bell Foundry Tenor 24-0-5 Eb 1938 Gillett & Johnston
The church had an organ installed in 1852 by the celebrated builder Henry Willis who also became the church's first organist. The organ has since been replaced.
There have been a number of famous organists including:
- Henry Willis 1852 - 1859
- Henry Parratt 1859 – ???? (formerly organist of St. Paul’s Church, Huddersfield)
- John Charles Ward 1863 - 1868
- Dr. Marshall of Kidderminster 1868
- Charles John Vincent 1883–1891
- Henry Walford Davies 1891 - 1898
- Cyril Rootham 1898 - 1901
- ^ "Christ Church, Hampstead, Hampstead". achurchnearyou.com. http://www.achurchnearyou.com/christ-church-hampstead/. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- ^ Beckett, Francis. (1997) Clem Attlee A Biography By Francis Beckett, Richard Cohen Books, ISBN 1-86066-101-7
- ^ "Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers entry for Christ Church". dove.cccbr.org.uk. http://dove.cccbr.org.uk/detail.php?DoveID=HAMPSTEAD3. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- ^ White, Michael (2005-12-04). "Ask not for whom the bells of Hampstead Heath toll". Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3648514/Ask-not-for-whom-the-bells-of-Hampstead-Heath-toll.html. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- ^ "Matthew Higby's Recent Work". bell-hangers.com. http://www.bell-hangers.com/recent.htm. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- ^ Musical Standard. 1 August 1868. P44
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.