- Osmania University
Osmania University Established 1918 Type Public Chancellor ESL Narasimhan, Governor of Andhra Pradesh Vice-Chancellor Prof. S. Satyanarayana Location Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India Campus Urban, 1600 acres (6 km²) Website www.osmania.ac.in Osmania University is accredited with 5 stars Grade by NAAC
Osmania University (Telugu: ఉస్మానియా విశ్వవిద్యాలయము, Urdu: جامعہ عثمانیہ ), (informally OU, or Osmania), since 1918, is a public university located in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India. It was established and named after the last Nizam of Hyderabad, Mir Osman Ali Khan. It is one of the oldest modern universities in India. It is the first Indian University to have Urdu (اردو) and Indian regional language as medium of instruction. The OU is one of the largest university systems in the subcontinent with over 300,000 students on its various campuses and affiliated colleges. It is particularly well known for its Arts, Sciences, Commerce, Engineering and Technology departments. Its faculty of management is considered as one of the best management institutions under the university system. Osmania Medical College was once part of the same university system. It is now transferred under the supervision of NTR University of Health Sciences.
History of university
Founded in 1918 by the Seventh Nizam of Hyderabad state, Nawab Mir Osman Ali Khan, higher learning in India, the third oldest in southern India and the first to be established in the erstwhile princely State of Hyderabad. For almost nine decades, it has sustained an integrated development of all faculties. It has contributed to the academic, social, and economic development of the region and the nation as a whole.
Its alumni have distinguished themselves nationally and internationally (See Notable Alumni section).
Present[when?] vice-chancellor of the University is Sri T.Tirupati Rao.The state government appointed new vice-chancellors to three universities including Osmania University. Prof S Satyanarayana is appointed as vice chancellor of osmania university. Present[when?] NAAC accreditation status of Osmania University is A Today the medium of instruction is English.
Education, research and admissions
Osmania university is a non-profit university, which is funded and managed by the government. Admissions into bachelor of engineering, masters and doctoral programs of this university is purely on a merit basis, evaluated by national entrance examinations for each of the courses offered. The research activities are funded by various agencies like UGC (University Grants Commission) or by CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) which are autonomous agencies of government of India.
Osmania has a campus of nearly 1600 acres (6 km²). Osmania University is perhaps the largest higher education system in the country. The university attracts students from all across the nation as well as from various other countries. It is the home to nearly 300,000 students pursuing their higher studies in its campus, constituent affiliated colleges and district centres. Its faculty and staff number nearly 5,000.
Osmania offers courses in Humanities, Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Law, Engineering, Medicine, Technology, Commerce and Business Management, Information Technology and Oriental Languages. so what In the year 2001, Osmania University had the distinction of being awarded the five-star status by the National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC) of the University Grants Commission, part of the Government of India.
Protests for separate Telangana
The Osmania University campus, has turned into the nerve centre for the separate Telangana (with series of pro-Telangana protests since November 2009) movement was again rocked by violence after pro-Telangana students clashed with police during the 48-hour Telangana bandh observed on July 5 and 6, 2011.
- Kothapalli Jayashankar, academic and politician
- Syed Mahmood Quadri, judge
- P. V. Narasimha Rao, scholar, statesman and former Prime Minister of India.
- Yaga Venugopal Reddy, former Governor of the Reserve Bank of India
- K. Venkata Ramiah , founder Vice Chancellor , Kakatiya University, Member, Union Public Service Commission
- G. Ram Reddy, father of Open Learning in India
- Shivraj Patil, former Union Home Minister (2004–2008), former Speaker of the Indian Parliament
- Asaduddin Owaisi, politician, Member of Parliament of India
- Shantanu Narayen, President and Chief Executive Officer of Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Sanjiv Sidhu, Chairman & CEO, i2 Technologies
- Nagesh Kukunoor, film actor and Director
- Jaipal Reddy, Member of Parliament
- Harsha Bhogle, cricket commentator
- Madhu Yaskhi, Member of Parliament, New York attorney
- Haroon Siddiqui, Indo-Canadian journalist
- Kancha Ilaiah, Dalit scholar
- Mahe Jabeen, social activist and writer, winner of Rajiv Gandhi Manavaseva award
- Muhammad Hamidullah, scholar on Islamic sciences
- Mohammed Azharuddin, dormer Indian Cricket team Captain and member of Parliament
- Karan Bilimoria, Baron Bilimoria, founder of Cobra Beer, Member of the House of Lords, Chancellor of Thames Valley University
- Raziuddin Siddiqui, mathematician, astrophysicist, theoretical physicist
- Makhdoom Mohiuddin, Urdu poet and Communist activist
- Venkatesh Kulkarni, American novelist and academic
- Santosh Kumar, Pakistani film actor
- George Reddy, student leader
- Bhaskarrao Bapurao Khatgaonkar, MP from Nanded
- Sir Ronald Ross Institute of Parasitology, a malaria research institute under the aegis of Osmania University.
- ^ a b Roger L. Geiger (2009). Curriculum, accreditation, and coming of age of higher education. Transaction Publishers. pp. 154–155. ISBN 9781412810319. http://books.google.com/books?id=Mc4gszrwUBQC&pg=PA154&dq=formation+osmania+university&hl=en&ei=aFeaTqDYBYir-gavlrS9BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=formation%20osmania%20university&f=false. Retrieved 16 october, 2011.
- ^ a b [dead link]
- ^ History oucde.ac.in
- ^ Osmania University Official Website. (06/16/2006) In "Internal Quality Assurance Cell." Retrieved on September 14, 2010 [dead link]
- Osmania University Official website
- Osmania University Alumni – International
- Centre for Distance Education, Osmania University
- Osmania University Department of Business Management
- Osmania University Alumni Association(OUAA) North America
- History of Osmania University ,Hyderabad & Alumni
- Osmania University summarized details
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.