- Sanat Kumara
According to the post-1900 publications of Theosophy, i.e. the writings of C. W. Leadbeater, Alice A. Bailey, and Benjamin Creme, as well as the Ascended Master Teachings of Guy Ballard, Elizabeth Clare Prophet, Geraldine Innocente, Joshua David Stone, and other Ascended Master Teachings teachers, Sanat Kumara  is an "advanced being" at the ninth level of initiation who is regarded as the Lord or Regent of Earth and of humanity, and the head of the Spiritual Hierarchy of Earth.
It is believed by these authors that he is the founder of the Great White Brotherhood, which is composed of Ascended Masters and volunteers from other worlds who have joined together to advance spiritual evolution on Earth.
Sanat Kumara in Theosophy
Sanat Kumara was mentioned briefly by the theosophist Helena Blavatsky. She claimed he belonged to a group of beings, the "Lords of the Flame", whom Christian tradition have misunderstood as Lucifer and the fallen angels.
Sanat Kumara gained greater prominence when her follower Charles W. Leadbeater wrote that Sanat Kumara was the "King" or Lord of the World, and the head of the Great White Brotherhood of Mahatmas who had revealed the principles of theosophy.
The Descent of Sanat Kumara and the Lords of the Flame from Venus
Leadbeater and later adherents of Theosophy believe that Sanat Kumara came to Earth 18,500,000 years ago (A.E. Powell gives a figure of 16,500,000 years ago) from the etheric plane of the planet Venus (According to Elizabeth Clare Prophet's Church Universal and Triumphant he came only 2,500,000 years ago). In Theosophy, the beings that helped Sanat Kumara organize the expedition from Venus are called the "Lords of the Flame". C.W. Leadbeater and Annie Besant said that Sanat Kumara brought 30 "Lords of the Flame" with him from Venus to help him set up his colony. In the later version of the story promulgated by Guy Ballard, notable "Lords of the Flame" include Gautama Buddha, and the World Teacher (the being referred to alternately as Maitreya or Christ by Benjamin Creme). Elizabeth Clare Prophet's Church Universal and Triumphant teaches that Sanat Kumara and the Lords of the Flame also brought 144,000 souls with them from Venus. Alice Bailey, on the other hand, gives the number 105 only. The prior incarnation and only incarnation of Maitreya, the Lord of Consciousness, according to some interpretations (not C.W. Leadbeater's), is Gautama Buddha; according to these interpretations, he essentially inhabited the body of Buddha with Siddhartha's permission.
Sanat Kumara is regarded as the great guru, saviour of Earth. Believers in him see him in all the major religions, as Skanda/Kartikkeya in Hinduism, Brahma-Sanam Kumar in Buddhism, Ancient of Days in Judeo-Christianity and Ahura Mazda in Zoroastrianism. It is also considered that Sanat Kumara is Al Khdir (green man) known to Sufi Muslims (according to Dakshinamurti).
It is maintained in most of these versions of Theosophy that Venus is the most spiritually advanced planet of our solar system. The beings living on the etheric plane of Venus are said to be hundreds of millions of years ahead of us in their spiritual evolution. It is said that the governing council of Venus--the Seven Holy Kumars--sent one of themselves, Sanat Kumara, here to guide us.
Appellations (titles) of Sanat Kumara
The most common title attributed to Sanat Kumara in the Theosophical religious tradition is "Lord of the World". C.W. Leadbeater also states that an important duty of Sanat Kumara is to participate in an elaborate ritual every Wesak (the Full Moon of May) led by Gautama Buddha, and also participated in by the Maitreya (the being Theosophists identify as Christ), in which cosmic energy is focused from the "Solar Logos" to Earth in order to keep our planet's cosmic energy in balance. The ritual is said to take place in a ravine in southern Tibet (the Frontispiece of Leadbeater's book The Masters and the Path has a picture of the ritual taking place) and, it is stated by Leadbeater, can be viewed by in the etheric body or in the physical body by those who have etheric sight.
Paradoxically, two other common appellations of Sanat Kumara are two opposite titles: "The Ancient of Days" (because he has been on Earth millions of years) and "The Youth of Sixteen Summers" (because even though he is millions of years old, he still looks like he is 16 years old). Another of his titles is "The One Initiator" because it is said by C. W. Leadbeater in the Masters and the Path that he personally performs the initiation ceremony for anyone who has reached the third level of spiritual initiation. Alice A. Bailey indicates the same in her writings.
In the all organizations subscribing to the "Ascended Master Teachings", Sanat Kumara is presented as an Ascended Master. He is also currently, according to the Ascended Master Teachings, known as the "Regent Lord of the World" in deference to Gautama Buddha having taken the office of "Lord of the World" in 1956. With Buddha taking on more of the day-to-day administrative tasks of governing the planet, this arrangement allows Sanat Kumara more time for long-range galactic planning and interstellar diplomacy.
Sanat Kumara's symbol of the authority of his office as Lord of the World is a 2-foot-long (0.61 m), 2-inch-wide (51 mm) magic wand called the Rod of Power made of the metal orichalcum, with cone-shaped diamonds on each end.
Lady Master Venus
The "I AM" Activity, The Bridge to Freedom, Church Universal and Triumphant and all other "Ascended Master Teachings" organizations believe that Sanat Kumara has a Divine Complement (Twin Flame) (i.e., a celestial wife) - Lady Master Venus- the New Age "Goddess of Love". The Ascended Lady Master Venus is usually depicted as having the appearance of a 16 year old girl. Sanat Kumara is believed to have married Lady Master Venus millions of years ago on Venus before he came to Earth.
Lady Master Meta
According to the Ascended Master Teachings, Sanat Kumara and the Lady Master Venus have a daughter named the Lady Master Meta   who they brought with them from Venus. She is said to have incarnated as an Avatar in Atlantis (where she served as the high priestess at the Temple of Healing) and in Sassanian Persia, where she married a mortal and had three children. In the Ascended Master Teachings, she is revered as the Goddess of Healing and is the patron deity of doctors and nurses. Since she is immortal, possessing a celestial body like Sanat Kumara and the Lady Master Venus, she, like the Lady Master Venus, also has the appearance of a 16 year old girl.
Master Cha Ara
According to the Ascended Master Teachings, the Master Cha Ara   was originally one of the three children of Lady Master Meta when she incarnated as an avatar in Sassanian Persia. He became a master alchemist who formulated an elixir of immortality made from rose petals, tea leaves from mcleodganj and other ingredients. This enabled him to quickly achieve ascended masterhood. He uses small amounts of the elixir to heal people. He is the protector of all Zoroastrians. He works with St. Germain to bring about the New Age in the Americas. Lady Master Meta’s husband and her other two children from her descent as an avatar to Sassanian Persia have also become ascended masters but their names have not yet been revealed.
Masters of the Ancient Wisdom
According to the "I AM" Activity, the Church Universal and Triumphant and others, the Ascended Masters (The beings the original Theosophists called the "Masters of the Ancient Wisdom"), such as the Master Jesus, Saint Germain, Kuthumi, and others are working for the Spiritual Hierarchy of our planet, under the leadership of Sanat Kumara, Gautama Buddha, and Maitreya. Many theosophists believe the "Masters" utilize the cosmic power of the Seven Rays to advance the Plan of the Masters to encourage the continual advance of civilization on Earth toward higher levels of consciousness. One of the beliefs of adherents of these belief systems is that the Masters of Wisdom have united together in an organization called the Great White Brotherhood.
Sanat Kumara also a manifestation of the Spirit of the Earth and the Solar Logos
The Theosophist A.E. Powell stated that Sanat Kumara (whom he refers to as the Lord of the World) is in continuous telepathic rapport with the Spirit of the Earth (i.e., the Planetary Logos--equivalent to the goddess known in some religions as Gaia or as Prithivi in Hinduism).C.W. Leadbeater and Alice A. Bailey stated that Sanat Kumara is in continuous telepathic rapport with the Solar Logos (the being considered by theosophists as the consciousness of the Sun). It is believed in Theosophy that Sanat Kumara captures the mystical power of the Seven Rays from the Solar Logos and distributes it to his assistants who guide the spiritual evolution of humanity, the Masters of the Ancient Wisdom (the Ascended masters), who then focus the power to us. An intermediate trinity of Pratyeka-Buddhas assists Buddha in stepping down this power from Sanat Kumara to Earth's Spiritual Hierarchy, and these Buddhas are also said to be Kumars originally from Venus.
The council chamber of the Lord of the World
According to the Alice A. Bailey material, Sanat Kumara conducts business in an enormous room in his palace called The Council Chamber of the Lord of the World. It is here that he regularly meets with Maitreya, the Maha Chohan, Djwal Khul, St. Germain, the Master Jesus and the other Masters of the Ancient Wisdom to assess the progress being made in implementing The Plan of the Masters to bring the human race to higher levels of consciousness. According to C.W. Leadbeater, it is also here that he periodically personally receives ambassadors from other solar systems.
Sanat Kumara's cosmic bureaucracy
According to the Alice A. Bailey material, Sanat Kumara has many assistants who help him in his arduous task of spiritually governing Earth as its presiding deity. These include The Watcher (also called the Silent Watcher or the Great Silent Watcher), whose function it is to continually watch the akashic records and download daily all the information on them relevant to the life waves of Earth and forward it to the Custodian of the Hall of Records. (the Watcher is part of a special race of beings who fulfill this function that are posted on planets thruout the Cosmos  ); the Lords of Karma-- Alice A. Bailey mentioned three Lords of Karma but did not name them; they are called in the Ascended Master Teachings the Karmic Board and they are stated to number seven and each of them is identified by name: The Great Divine Director (1st ray), The Goddess of Liberty (2nd ray), Lady Master Nada (3rd ray), Cyclopea (4th ray), Pallas Athena (5th ray), Lady Master Portia (6th ray), and Kwan Yin (7th ray). The Karmic Board decides when souls that are between lives are to reincarnate again (if a disembodied soul desires to reincarnate somewhere or somewhen else than where they have been assigned, they must file an appeal with the Karmic Board—each person has to file an appeal to the member of the board that handles the appeals for their soul ray); and the one Alice A. Bailey calls the Custodian of the Hall of Records (called the Keeper of the Scrolls in the Ascended Master Teachings), the being who is in charge of the Hall of Records, an enormous administrative complex near Sanat Kumara’s palace in the etheric city of Shamballa—this is where the Recording Angels and those souls who are between incarnations who volunteer to give up their time in Summerland and help perform this work make visual records (utilizing the most advanced supercomputers on the etheric plane of Earth) of everything that happens in everyone’s lives on Earth. The raw data is first downloaded daily by The Watcher from the akashic records and fed by him to the Custodian of the Hall of Records and thence forwarded to the recording angels and their volunteer helpers. These video records are sorted daily first into one of seven general files by the soul ray (see seven rays) of the soul that is reincarnating, and then downloaded from that general file into a special individual file for each soul that can be consulted by the Karmic Board if that soul makes an appeal before it.
Another important part of Sanat Kumara's cosmic bureaucracy is the Cosmic Secret Service--Sanat Kumara's intelligence service. This organization is headed by the Master K-17 (No image available on Google images; he views you—he doesn't want anyone to view him). The Master K-17 works directly under Maitreya and St. Germain. The headquarters of the Cosmic Secret Service is in a large building in Shamballa adjacent to the Hall of Records. The CSS, with its highly advanced supercomputers, keeps dossiers on everyone incarnated on Earth, downloaded from the information in the Hall of Records. This information is used to assess whether the Ascended Masters can effectively recruit someone on the physical plane to help them implement the Plan of the Masters. CSS agents analyze what is happening on Earth and file situation reports which are then forwarded to the Ascended Masters in order to help them better implement the Plan of the Masters. Those subversives on Earth who oppose the Plan of the Masters receive the special attention of the agents of the CSS. When agents of the CSS materialize on the physical plane, besides having the ability to teleport at will and having photographic quality remote viewing abilities, they have a special cloak of invisibility that they can use as needed. The CSS has a secret villa in Paris that they operate out of on the physical plane.
Omri-Tas, Ruler of the Violet Planet
Omri-Tas, the Ruler of the Violet Planet, is a Galactic level Ascended Master (cosmic being) who with his (unnamed to us so far) twin flame (celestial wife) , is Sanat Kumara's violet flame supplier. The violet flame is composed of a special type of etheric matter particles, which may plausibly be called violetrons, that are capable of cleansing bad karma. Omri-Tas rules a planet on the etheric plane called the Violet Planet, which is apparently several dozen to several hundred light years from Earth. The Violet Planet is one of many throughout the Cosmos that serve as reservoirs for the violet flame. Omri-Tas is the ruler of the Violet Planet that is closest to Earth and which is responsible for transmitting the violet flame from the Great Central Sun of the Cosmos via the Galactic Logos to planets in our sector of the Milky Way Galaxy. Omri-Tas or one of his representatives periodically teleport from the Violet Planet to Shamballa with canisters of violet flame to replenish the violet flame in the large circular pool in the Temple of the Violet Flame in Shamballa, from which devotees of the Ascended Master Teachings living on Earth draw upon to do their invocations to St. Germain called Violet Flame Decrees.
However, Sanat Kumara, although mentioned in passing by Madame Blavatsky, was never mentioned by her as an important "Master" that Blavatsky claimed to have met. He was first presented, under the name Lord of the World, as the head of the "Masters" by C.W. Leadbeater in his 1925 book The Masters and the Path.
- ^ 
- ^ 
- ^ Schroeder, Werner Ascended Masters and Their Retreats Ascended Master Teaching Foundation 2004. Describes the founding of Shamballah by Sanat Kumara
- ^ Blavatsky, Helena Petrovna The Secret Doctrine: The Synthesis of Science, Religion, and Philosophy- Theosophical Publishing House, 1888. Sanat Kumara - Volume I: 89, 457 - 458; Volume II: pages 106, 140, 319, 584.
- ^ Blavatsky, Helena Petrovna The Secret Doctrine: The Synthesis of Science, Religion, and Philosophy- Theosophical Publishing House, 1888. Volume II pp 243 ff
- ^ Leadbeater, C.W. The Masters and the Path. Adyar, India: Theosophical Publishing House, 1925 (Reprint: Kessinger Publishing, 1997) Pages 296-299
- ^ Leadbeater, C.W. The Masters and the Path. Adyar, India: Theosophical Publishing House, 1925 (Reprint: Kessinger Publishing, 1997) Page 299
- ^ Powell, A.E. The Solar System London:1930 The Theosophical Publishing House (A Complete Outline of the Theosophical Scheme of Evolution) See chart on Page 33
- ^ Planetary Schemes of Our Solar System According to Theosophy:
- ^ Prophet, Elizabeth Clare and Prophet, Mark (as compiled by Annice Booth) The Masters and Their Retreats Corwin Springs, Montana:2003 Summit University Press Page 339-341
- ^ Leadbeater, C.W. The Masters and the Path. Adyar, India: Theosophical Publishing House 1929 (Reprint: Kessinger Publishing 1997)--Fold-out picture facing the title page of the book shows a picture of Buddha performing the Wesak ritual
- ^ Luk, A.D.K.. Law of Life - Book II. Pueblo, Colorado: A.D.K. Luk Publications 1989. Describes Sanat Kumara and his role in founding the Brotherhood on Earth and passing the office of "Lord of the World" to Gautama.
- ^ Leadbeater, C.W. The Masters and the Path. Adyar, India: Theosophical Publishing House 1925 Pages 268–269
- ^ Image of Lady Master Venus shown above is originally from the Church Universal and Triumphant):
- ^ Booth, Annice The Masters and Their Retreats Summit Lighthouse Library June 2003, Summarizes the beliefs about Sanat Kumara by The I AM Activity, The Bridge to Freedom, and The Summit Lighthouse
- ^ Source of (not very clear) Image of the Lady Master Meta—Etheric Retreats website:
- ^ Prophet, Elizabeth Clare and Prophet, Mark (as compiled by Annice Booth) The Masters and Their Retreats Corwin Springs, Montana:2003 Summit University Press Pages 227-228 Lady Master Meta
- ^ Source of Image of Master Cha Ara--World Global Express Brotherhood of Light:
- ^ Prophet, Elizabeth Clare and Prophet, Mark (as compiled by Annice Booth) The Masters and Their Retreats Corwin Springs, Montana:2003 Summit University Press Page 52 Master Cha Ara; Pages 227-228 Lady Master Meta
- ^ Shearer, Monroe & Carolyn I AM Adorations, Affirmations & Rhythmic Decrees Acropolis Sophia Books and Works 1998. Refers also to the other six Kumars that assist Sanat Kumara
- ^ The Great White Brotherhood in the Culture, History and Religion of America. Summit University Press 1975
- ^ Powell, A.E. The Solar System London:1930 The Theosophical Publishing House (A Complete Outline of the Theosophical Scheme of Evolution)
- ^ Leadbeater, C.W. The Masters and the Path Adyar, Madras, India: 1925--Theosophical Publishing House
- ^ Leadbeater, C.W. The Masters and the Path. Adyar, India: Theosophical Publishing House, 1925 (Reprint: Kessinger Publishing, 1997) Page 300
- ^ Prophet, Elizabeth Clare and Prophet, Mark (as compiled by Annice Booth) The Masters and Their Retreats Corwin Springs, Montana:2003 Summit University Press (Note: the idea that Watcher was part of race of beings posted thruout the Cosmos to fulfill this functions was first promulgated by C.W. Leadbeater and continued by Guy Ballard and Elizabeth Clare Prophet) The Great Silent Watchers Page 122
- ^ Identity of the seven members of the Karmic Board according to the Ascended Master Teachings—The Goddess of Liberty, Kwan Yin, Pallas Athena, The Great Divine Director, Cyclopea, Nada, and Portia:
- ^ Prophet, Elizabeth Clare and Prophet, Mark (as compiled by Annice Booth) The Masters and Their Retreats Corwin Springs, Montana:2003 Summit University Press Pages 153-155 The Karmic Board
- ^ Prophet, Elizabeth Clare and Prophet, Mark (as compiled by Annice Booth) The Masters and Their Retreats Corwin Springs, Montana:2003 Summit University Press Pages 160-163 Master K-17 and the Cosmic Secret Service
- ^ Source of Image of Omri-Tas, Ruler of the Violet Planet and his Twin Flame--"Sintonia St. Germain" Portuguese language Ascended Master Teachings website:
- ^ Prophet, Elizabeth Clare and Prophet, Mark (as compiled by Annice Booth) The Masters and Their Retreats Corwin Springs, Montana:2003 Summit University Press Pages 249-253 Omri-Tas, Ruler of the Violet Planet
- ^ Johnson, Paul K. Initiates of Theosophical Masters Albany, New York:1995 State University of New York Press
- ^ Leadbeater, C.W. The Masters and the Path. Adyar, India: Theosophical Publishing House, 1925 (Reprint: Kessinger Publishing, 1997)
- Bailey, Alice A. The Treatise on White Magic New York:1934—Lucis Publishing Co. (It is stated on page 378 that the city of Shamballa was founded 18,500,000 years ago.)
- Leadbeater, C.W. The Masters and the Path Adyar, Madras, India: 1925—Theosophical Publishing House (in this book, Sanat Kumara is referred to as Lord of the World.) (See web link to complete text of this book below.)
- Powell, A.E. The Solar System London:1930—The Theosophical Publishing House, London, Limited. A complete outline of the Theosophical scheme of evolution. (See Chapter XXXIV [pages 216-218], "The Coming of the Lords of Venus" Note: In these pages, it is stated that the Lords of Venus came to Earth 16,500,000 years ago.)
- Prophet, Mark L. and Elizabeth Clare Lords of the Seven Rays Livingston, Montana, U.S.A.:1986 - Summit University Press
- Campbell, Bruce F. A History of the Theosophical Movement Berkeley:1980 University of California Press
- Godwin, Joscelyn The Theosophical Enlightenment Albany, New York: 1994 State University of New York Press
- Johnson, K. Paul The Masters Revealed: Madam Blavatsky and Myth of the Great White Brotherhood Albany, New York: 1994 State University of New York Press
- Melton, J. Gordon Encyclopedia of American Religions 5th Edition New York:1996 Gale Research ISBN 0-8103-7714-4 ISSN 1066-1212 Chapter 18--"The Ancient Wisdom Family of Religions" Pages 151-158; see chart on page 154 listing Masters of the Ancient Wisdom; Also see Section 18, Pages 717-757 Descriptions of various Ancient Wisdom religious organizations
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.