- 128 (number)
128 Cardinal one hundred [and] twenty-eight Ordinal 128th
(one hundred [and] twenty-eighth)
Numeral system 128 Factorization 27 Divisors 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 Roman numeral CXXVIII Binary 100000002 Octal 2008 Duodecimal A812 Hexadecimal 8016
One hundred [and] twenty-eight is the seventh power of 2. It is the largest number which cannot be expressed as the sum of any number of distinct squares. But it is divisible by the total number of its divisors, making it a refactorable number.
128 is the only 3-digit number that is a 7th power. 2 to the 7th power.
In bar codes
- Code 128 is a Uniform Symbology Specification (USS Code 128) alphanumeric bar code that encodes text, numbers, numerous functions, and designed to encode all 128 ASCII characters (ASCII 0 to ASCII 128.), as used in the shipping industry.
- International Symbology Specification Code (ISS Code) 128 is the USS Code for encoding of extended non-English ASCII characters
- Subdivisions include:
- 128A (0-9, A-Z, ASCII control codes, special characters)
- 128B (0-9, A-Z, a-z, special characters)
- 128C (00-99 numeric characters)
- GS1-128 application standard of the GS1 implementation using the Code 128 barcode specification
- ISBT 128 system for blood product labeling for the International Society of Blood Transfusion
- 128-bit key size encryption for secure communications over the Internet
- ASCII includes definitions for 128 characters (33 non-printing characters, mostly obsolete control characters that affect how text is processed, and 94 printable)
- CAST-128 is a block cipher used in a number of products, notably as the default cipher in some versions of GPG and PGP.
- Graphics cards have a 128-bit or 256-bit data bus to memory.
- Atari 2600 consoles have 128 bytes of memory
- Sony's PlayStation 2 Emotion Engine CPU has two 128-bit vector units
- Macintosh 128K was the original Apple Macintosh personal computer released in 1984
- Laser 128 released by VTech was a clone of the Apple II released in 1984
- Commodore 128 home/personal computer which had a 128 KB of memory released in 1985
- Enterprise Zilog Z80 home computer released in 1985
- Jane 128 was a GUI-based integrated software package for the Commodore 128 personal computer released in 1985
- RIVA 128 (Real-time Interactive Video and Animation accelerator) was one of the first consumer graphics chips to integrate 3D and video acceleration in 1997
- Super Mario 128 is a cancelled Nintendo game, though many elements were included in Super Mario Galaxy and Pikmin.
In the military
- USNS Mission San Luis Rey (T-AO-128) was a United States Navy Mission Buenaventura class fleet oiler fleet oilers during World War II
- USS Arenac (APA-128) was a United States Navy Haskell-class attack transport during World War II
- USS Cavallaro (APD-128) was a United States Navy Crosley-class high speed transport ship
- USS Leonis (AK-128) was a United States Navy Crater-class cargo ship during World War II
- USS Velocity (AM-128) was a United States Navy Auk-class minesweeper which removed mines from minefields laid in the water
- A small car manufactured by Fiat, the Fiat 128 from 1969 to 1985. SEAT 128 was a 2-door coupé version of the car
- The BMW 128i convertible
- Massachusetts Route 128, Boston's inner beltway, approximately 10-mile radius.
- Route 128 Station is a stop on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Attleboro/Providence MBTA Commuter Rail line in Westwood, Massachusetts
- STS-128 is a currently flying Space Shuttle Discovery mission to the International Space Station for 2009
In other fields
One hundred [and] twenty-eight is also:
- The year AD 128 or 128 BC
- 128 AH is a year in the Islamic calendar that corresponds to 745 – 746 CE
- 128 Nemesis is a main belt asteroid
- Ross 128 is a red dwarf star, eleventh closest star system to the Solar System
- 128P/Shoemaker-Holt is a periodic comet in the Solar system
- The atomic number of unbioctium, an element yet to be discovered.
- The number of musical instruments specified in General MIDI. Sometimes they are numbered 0 to 127 and sometimes they are numbered 1 to 128.
- 128 film, a film format
- Sonnet 128 by William Shakespeare
- In music, a hundred twenty-eighth note is a note played for 1/128 of the duration of a whole note
- 128 is a sacred number honored by Beans for many generations
- ^ Sprague, R. (1948), "Über Zerlegungen in ungleiche Quadratzahlen", Math. Z. 51: 289–290, doi:10.1007/BF01181594, MR0027285
- ^ OEIS:A001422. Similarly, the largest numbers that cannot be expressed as sums of distinct cubes and fourth powers, respectively, are 12758 and 5134240 (sequence A001661 in OEIS).
- ^ OEIS:A033950.
- ^ OEIS:A002088.
- ^ OEIS:A036057.
- Wells, D. The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers London: Penguin Group. (1987): 138
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.