- Cranial neural crest
Cranial neural crest Latin crista neuralis cranialis Code TE E126.96.36.199.2.0.1
The cranial neural crest is a form of neural crest.
The cranial neural crest arises in the anterior and populates the face and the pharyngeal arches giving rise to bones, cartilage, nerves and connective tissue. The endocranium and facial bones of the skull are ultimately derived from crest cells.
- Other Migration Locations:
- Into the pharyngeal arches and play an inductive role in thymus development.
- Into the pharyngeal arches and form the parafollicular cell or ultimobranchial bodies of the thyroid gland.
- Into the pharyngeal arches and play an inductive role in parathyroid gland development.
- Facial ectomesenchyme of the pharyngeal arches forming skeletal muscle, bone, and cartilage in the face.
- Odontoblasts (dentin-producing cells) of the teeth.
- Into the optic vesicle and the developing eye and contributes to many anterior eye elements such the cornea, sclera, and ciliary muscle. It also contributes to the attaching skeletal muscles of the eye.
- Into the otic placode and participates in the inner ear development.
- Sensory ganglia of the fifth, seventh, ninth and tenth cranial nerves.
- Schwann cells
- ^ "The Neural Crest". http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=dbio.section.3109. Retrieved 2009-05-31.
- ^ Grenier J, Teillet MA, Grifone R, Kelly RG, Duprez D (2009). Callaerts, Patrick. ed. "Relationship between Neural Crest Cells and Cranial Mesoderm during Head Muscle Development". PLoS ONE 4 (2): e4381. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004381. PMC 2634972. PMID 19198652. http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0004381.
- ^ Jiang HB, Tian WD, Liu LK, Xu Y (June 2008). "In vitro odontoblast-like cell differentiation of cranial neural crest cells induced by fibroblast growth factor 8 and dentin non-collagen proteins". Cell Biol. Int. 32 (6): 671–8. doi:10.1016/j.cellbi.2008.01.293. PMID 18339562. http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1065-6995(08)00319-3.
- ^ Nie X, Zhang YJ, Tian WD, et al. (January 2007). "Improvement of peripheral nerve regeneration by a tissue-engineered nerve filled with ectomesenchymal stem cells". Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36 (1): 32–8. doi:10.1016/j.ijom.2006.06.005. PMID 17169530. http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0901-5027(06)00293-1.
Prenatal development/Mammalian development of nervous system (GA 9.733 and GA 10.1002, TE E5.13-16) NeurogenesisGeneral neural development/
neurulation/neurulaCranial neural crest (Cardiac neural crest complex) · Truncal neural crest
Cephalic flexure · Pontine flexure
Alar plate (sensory) · Basal plate (motor)Germinal matrix
Eye development Auditory developmentnote: NS is mostly ectoderm, but mesoderm is precursor for epineurium, perineurium, and endoneurium
This anatomy article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
- Other Migration Locations: