- National Bank of Ukraine
National Bank of Ukraine
Національний банк України
National Bank of Ukraine building Headquarters 9 Institutska St., Kiev, 01601 Established 1992 Governor Serhiy Arbuzov Central bank of Ukraine Currency Hryvnia ISO 4217 Code UAH Base borrowing rate 7.75% Website www.bank.gov.ua
National Bank of Ukraine (Ukrainian: Національний банк України) is the central bank of Ukraine. Its headquarters building, constructed between 1902 and 1934, is located at no. 9 Institutska St., in Kiev
Prior to the collapse of the USSR, the National Bank of Ukraine was a branch of the Central Bank of the USSR. Officially, the National Bank of Ukraine acted as the Central Bank of Ukraine since early 1992. Like institutions of many newly independent nations, it faced dire financial straits during the 1990s, leading to a prolonged period of hyperinflation.
On March 20, 1991, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine adopted the resolution "On Banks and Banking Activity", which became Law on May 1. The resolution declared ownership by the Ukrainian SSR of the Ukrainian Republican Bank of the State Bank of the USSR, the Ukrainian Republican Bank (affiliate) of the State Commercial Industrial-Constructional Bank of the USSR, the Ukrainian Republican Bank of the Savings Bank of the USSR, and the Ukrainian Republican Bank of the ForeignEconomBank of the USSR as well as the Ukrainian Republican Department of Encashment of the State Bank of the USSR. The National Bank of Ukraine was resolved to be created on the basis of the Ukrainian Republican Bank of the State Bank of the USSR.
Legal Status and Structure
The legal status of the National Bank of Ukraine and the principles of its organization and activities are determined by the Constitution of Ukraine and the Law of Ukraine "On the National Bank of Ukraine".
The National Bank of Ukraine is a legal entity with separated property, which is the object of the state property. Its authorized capital amounts to UAH 10 million and is the state-owned property which is in the full economic competence of the National Bank.
According to Article 99 of the Constitution of Ukraine, adopted in 1996, the main function of the country's central bank is to ensure stability of monetary unit - the Hryvnia. To carry out its main function, the National Bank shall foster the stability of the banking system and, within its competence, the price stability.
According to the Law of Ukraine "On the National Bank of Ukraine", the National Bank is the central bank of Ukraine, a specific central body of the state administration, its issuing center which pursue common state policy in money circulation, credit, strengthening of monetary unit; it coordinates functioning of the banking system in general; determines exchange rate of the monetary unit against foreign currencies. The National Bank determines a kind of bank notes, their denomination, distinctive features and their protection system. The National Bank of Ukraine ensures the accumulation and custody of the gold and currency reserves and the conduction of transactions with them and the banking metals. The National Bank of Ukraine sets up the order of determining a discount rate and other interest rates; it gives permission for commercial banks' registration and licenses banking business; determines the standard of emergency funds for commercial banks and other financial and credit institutions.
The National Bank of Ukraine has the power to initiate legislation.
The National Bank of Ukraine is governed by the Head of the National Bank of Ukraine and its directory, while its functions are coordinated by the Council of the National Bank of Ukraine. The council consists of 15 members including the Head of the National Bank as the ex-officio position. The other members of the council are appointed by an equal quota of seven members from the President of Ukraine and the Verkhovna Rada.
According to the Constitution of Ukraine, the main function of the National Bank is to ensure the stability of Ukraine's monetary unit. To carry this out the National Bank fosters the stability of the banking system and, within its competence, price stability.
The National Bank also carries out the following functions:
- to determine and pursue the monetary policy in accordance with the General Principles of the Monetary Policy developed by the Council of the National Bank of Ukraine;
- to issue the national currency of Ukraine on a monopoly basis and to organize its circulation;
- to establish the rules of conducting banking transactions, accounting and reporting, protection of the information, funds and property for the banks and other financial and credit institutions;
- to organize and to provide the methodological support to the system of the monetary, crediting and banking statistical information and the statistics of the balance of payments;
- to determine the areas of the development of modern electronic banking technologies, to establish, co-ordinate and control the creation of electronic means of payment, payment system, banking automation and the banking information protection facilities;
- to exercise the banking regulation and supervision;
- to keep a Register of banks, their branch and representative offices, currency exchanges and financial and credit institutions, to license banking business and transactions, if provided for by the laws;.
- to compile, analyze and forecast the balance of payments;
- to represent Ukraine's interests in central banks of other states, international banks and other crediting institutions, where the cooperation takes place at the level of central banks;
- to exercise the currency regulation with the competence to be defined by a special law, to determine the procedure of effecting payments in the foreign currency, to organise and exercise the currency control over the commercial banks and other credit institutions which are in possession of a National Bank's license for the transactions with currency values;
- to ensure the accumulation and custody of the gold and currency reserves and the conduction of transactions with them and the banking metals;
- to analyze the status of the monetary, crediting, financial, pricing and currency relations;
- to organize the collection and transportation of bank notes, coins and other values;
- to implement the national policy of the protection of state secrets within the system of the National Bank;
- to take part in the training of personnel for Ukraine's banking system;
- to exercise other functions in the monetary and crediting sphere within its competence defined by the law.
Governors of the National Bank of Ukraine
Since the Banks' establishment, the following statesmen were the Governors of the National Bank of Ukraine (initially the title of the position was the Chairman of the Board of the National Bank of Ukraine)
Name In office Volodymyr Matvienko 1991–1992 Vadym Hetman 1992 Viktor Yushchenko 1993–1999 Volodymyr Stelmakh 2000–2002 Sergiy Tigipko 2002–2004 Volodymyr Stelmakh 2004–2010 Serhiy Arbuzov 2010–present
Council of the National Bank of Ukraine
- Iryna Akimova - Presidential decree (2010)
- Serhiy Arbuzov - ex-officio
- Pavlo Haidutsky - Presidential decree (2010)
- Valeriy Heyets - Presidential decree (2005)
- Mykhailo Honcharov - Verkhovna Rada declaration (2007)
- Vasyl Horbal - Verkhovna Rada declaration (2007)
- Serhiy Klyuev - Verkhovna Rada declaration (2007)
- Borys Kolesnikov - Verkhovna Rada declaration (2007)
- Yuriy Polunyeev - Verkhovna Rada declaration (2008)
- Petro Poroshenko - Verkhovna Rada declaration (2007)
- Andriy Portnov - Presidential decree (2010)
- Ihor Prasolov - Verkhovna Rada declaration (2007)
- Viktor Fedosov - Presidential decree (2010)
- Valeriy Khoroshkovskiy - Presidential decree (2010)
- Roman Shpek - Presidential decree (2010)
There are more than 180 banks under the supervision of the NBU. Among the major banks in the country are:
- PrivatBank - the leading bank in country
- Raiffeisen Bank Aval
- UkrSibbank (subsidiary of BNP Paribas)
- State Savings Bank of Ukraine (Oshchadbank) (State bank)
- UkrEximBank (State bank)
- Nadra Bank
- OTP Bank
- Finances and Credit
- First Ukrainian International Bank
- Rodovid Bank
- VAB Bank
- (Ukrainian) Про банки і банківську діяльність. Law of Ukraine. Accessed on August 17, 2006.
- (Ukrainian) Про Національний банк України. Law of Ukraine. Accessed on August 17, 2006.
- (Ukrainian) (English) Official site: National Bank of Ukraine
- (English) Government portal of Ukraine - National Bank of Ukraine
Banks of Ukraine Ukraine topics History Politics Law Military Subdivisions Geography Economy Demographics CultureWikiProject · Portal
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.