- Melbourne tram route 6
Melbourne University - Glen Iris Route Information Route Number 6 Number of stops 50 Timetables Link Route Map Link Zone Location Zone 1 Entire route
The origins of route 5 lie in separate tram lines, an electric line from Melbourne University to Queensberry Street, a cable tram from Queensberry Street to High St and an electric line from St Kilda Road to Burke Road.
The Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust opened a line from Charles Street, Prahran to Tooronga Road, Glen Iris along High Street on 30 May 1910. This line was extended west to Punt Road on 14 March 1911 and again, to St Kilda Road on 14 September 1912, connecting with the St Kilda Road cable tram to the city, both extension were built by the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust. The Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust extended the line again on 25 March 1914, this time east, to it current terminus at Malvern Road.
The Melbourne, Brunswick and Coburg Tramways Trust opened its line from Park Street, North Carlton to Queensberry Street, Carlton along Lygon Street, Elgin Street and Madeline Street - as the section of Swanston Street north of Victoria Street was originally known - on 31 October 1916.
The Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board converted the Swanston Street/St Kilda Road cable line to electric traction between 1924 and 1926, with electric trams able to run to High Street on 28 March 1926 and able to travel the entire length on 29 August 1926.
Route 6 Melbourne University Routes 1, 8 Stop 1 City La Trobe St Melbourne Central Station Routes 24, 30, City Circle 8 Lonsdale St 9 Bourke St Routes 86, Collins St Routes 11, 42, 48, 109, 112 11 Federation Square Flinders St Station Routes 70, Arts Precinct Route 1 14 St Kilda Rd Southbank Bvd 16 Coventry St 18 Domain Interchange Routes 8, 55 20 Toorak Rd 22 Commercial Rd Route 72 25 High St Routes 3/3a, 5, 16, 67 27 Punt Rd 28 Chaple St Routes 78, 79 31 Prahran Williams Rd 35 Orrong Rd 38 Armadale Station Armadale Station 40 Armadale Kooyong Rd 41 Glenferrie Rd Route 16 44 Tooronga Rd 48 Harold Holt Swim Centre 49 Burke Rd 51 Glen Iris Glen Iris Station 53
Not all stops are shown, refer to timetable for full list of stops.
Route 5 runs from Melbourne University travelling south on Swanston Street, through the CBD, passing Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Melbourne Central railway station, State Library of Victoria, Melbourne Town Hall, City Square, St Paul's Cathedral, Flinders Street railway station, Federation Square and Birrarung Marr.
Crossing the Yarra River into Southbank along St Kilda Road, traversing the suburbs of Melbourne and South Melbourne, Victoria, it passes The Arts Centre, National Gallery of Victoria, Victoria Barracks and Shrine of Remembrance.
A truncated, off-peak version of route 6 exists as route 7. This route also begins at the University of Melbourne, but ends at Glenferrie Road at Malvern Town Hall. It only operates in the direction away from the city.
Maps and timetables
- Official timetables
- Official route map
- Official tram network map]
- Tram and train network map from railmaps.com.au
- Trams in Melbourne
- Transportation in Australia
- ^ "The Real Transport Challenges: A Call for a Vision" (PDF), Public Transport Users Association: p. 56, http://www.ptua.org.au/files/2006/The_Real_Transport_Challenges.pdf, retrieved 2011-11-03
- ^ "Melbourne Tramway and Omnibus Company Limited", TMSV Running Journal Vol 9 No 3, page 16, http://www.tramway.org.au/runningjournal/rj_vol9_no3.pdf, retrieved 2011-10-16
- ^ "Milestones, 1901 - 1910", Yarra Trams, http://www.yarratrams.com.au/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-155/173_read-884/, retrieved 2011-10-02
- ^ a b c "Milestones, 1911 - 1920", Yarra Trams, http://www.yarratrams.com.au/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-155/173_read-883/, retrieved 2011-10-02
- ^ "Milestones, 1921 - 1930", Yarra Trams, http://www.yarratrams.com.au/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-155/173_read-882/, retrieved 2011-10-02
- ^ "Malvern Depot", VICSIG, http://www.vicsig.net/index.php?page=trams&depot=malvern, retrieved 2011-09-26
Trams in Melbourne - Yarra Trams Routes Current Tram FleetW • Z • A • B • C • C2 • D OperatorKDR Melbourne (Yarra Trams) Former operators Tourist services Tram depotsBrunswick • Camberwell • East Preston • Essendon • Glenhuntly • Hawthorn • Kew • Malvern • North Fitzroy • Preston Workshops • Newport Workshops • Southbank • South Melbourne Miscellaneous
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.