- Doggy style
Doggy style (also known as doggie position or rear entry) is a group of sex positions in which the receiving partner crouches on all fours (ie. on the knees with the palms on the floor) with the legs slightly apart. Assuming the position can be regarded as erotic or sexually provocative, and can be regarded as an invitation to a sex partner to perform sex acts on him or her. During actual sex play, the receiving partner is generally regarded as the passive or submissive partner. In this position, the receiving partner is open to a variety of sex acts, with the active partner being able to perform vaginal penetration from behind, anal or oral sex, anilingus, the massaging or stimulation of the receiving partner's erogenous zones, such as the genitals, nipples, or buttocks, or administer a playful smack on the buttocks, or introduce a sex toy, such as a dildo or vibrator, into the vagina or anus.
This position has been used since antiquity. In ancient Greece, male superiority also applied to sexual practices, with the woman being required to adopt a submissive role, and rear entry penetration was widespread. Even to this day anal sex is sometimes referred as "sex in the manner of the Greeks". In ancient Rome, it was known as "sex in the manner of animals" (Latin: coitus more ferarum). It is described in the Kama Sutra as "the congress of a cow"  and is listed in The Perfumed Garden. The original use of the term "doggy style" is not known, but is named from the initial position assumed by dogs when mating (see canine copulation).
Most rear entry positions can be used for either vaginal or anal penetration. There are several forms of rear entry including:
- Classic doggy style - The receiving partner is on all fours with their torso horizontal, while the active partner is either standing or on their knees and holds the receiving partner's backside firmly by the waist or buttocks while penetrating from behind.
- Leapfrog position - The receiving partner's torso is angled downwards by going down on the elbows or resting the head on the floor. The hands can be in front or back between the legs. The position allows the penetrating partner to raise their own hips above those of the receiving partner for maximum penetration and to reach the G-Spot. The position can also be used with bondage play as a bondage position.
- Froggy style - The receiving partner is flat on their torso, while the active partner lays on top of them or close to them, while penetrating from behind. A variation of the spreadeagle, this position is often made more comfortable by placing a pillow under the receiving partner's hips.
- Arms back - The penetrating partner pulls the receiving partner's arms backwards at the wrists or ties the hands behind the receiving partner's back, making the receiving partner dependent on the penetrating partner to maintain balance.
- Furniture support - For support, the receiving partner can hold onto or lay across some furniture, such as the side of a bed, couch, chair or stool. Furniture can also be used in bondage play.
Anal penetration can also be performed in the doggie position. Most anal sex positions are similar to vaginal penetrative positions. Doggy style penetration maximizes the depth of penetration, but can pose the risk of pushing against the sigmoid colon. If the receiving partner is male, this increases the chances of stimulating the prostate. The penetrating partner controls the thrusting rhythm. The receiving partner may also lie flat and face down, with the penetrating partner straddling their thighs.
Benefits and drawbacks
Most active partners regard the doggie position to be erotic and a turn-on in itself. For the penetrating male partner, the doggy style offers a tight vagina and maximum depth of penetration. The active partner controls the rhythm and force of each thrust as well as any massage or manual stimulation they give.
Some women can experience pain during initial penetration because of the depth or angle of penetration, or because of vaginal dryness. The receiving woman needs to trust the active partner to penetrate and initially thrust gently until she has produced sufficient vaginal lubrication. For some women, rear-entry penetration offers stimulation of the G-Spot. However, rear-entry offers only minimal stimulation of the clitoris, which may require manual stimulation. It is often important for the active partner, who controls the thrusting, to be slow and gentle in penetration and thrusting and to perform other stimulation so that the receiving partner does not feel like a sex object.
Significant differences in the leg length of the two participants may make penetration difficult. The position is generally considered less intimate because eye contact and kissing are more difficult. Many established couples find sex doggy style relationship-affirming, as it requires and implies a level of trust and a surrender of control by the receiving to the active partner. For this reason, the position is not often used with first time sex with a partner or by those not confident with their own body, or by the young.
- ^ Comfort, Alex; Quilliam, Susan (2008). The Joy of Sex. London: Mitchell Beazley. ISBN 1-84533-429-9.
- ^ Rogiere, Jean, "The Little Book of Sex". Ulysses Press. 2001. ISBN 1-56975-305-9, 96 pages.
- ^ The Kama Sutra, as given at Kamasutra-sex.org
- ^ The Perfumed Garden of Sensual Delight, Muhammad ibn Muhammad al-Nafzawi
- ^ Keesling, Barbara (1993). Sexual Pleasure: Reaching New Heights of Sexual Arousal & Intimacy. Hunter House Publishers. p. 167. ISBN 9780897931489.
- ^ so feminine.co.uk
Identity Law History Relationships
By country Sexual activitiesAnilingus · Anal sex · Ass to mouth · Bareback · BDSM · Circle jerk · Cock-and-ball torture · Creampie · Cum shot · Cybersex · Dirty talk · Facial · Felching · Fingering · Fisting · Gang bang · Group sex · Masturbation · Mechanics of sex · Non-penetrative sex (Mammary intercourse · Heavy petting · Handjob · Sumata) · Oral sex · Stimulation of nipples · Orgasm control · Pompoir · Quickie · Sex positions · Sexual intercourse (Foreplay) · Sex magic · Sexual penetration · Sexual sublimation · Snowballing · Tea bag · Venus Butterfly Sex industry Religion and sexuality Sex positions Positions list Sex manuals
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.