- Mark Group Ltd
Mark Group Type Privately-owned Industry Energy-saving, Insulation, Microgeneration, Renewables Founded 1974 as Mark Insulations Headquarters Leicester, England, United Kingdom Key people Lee Cottingham, CEO
Mark Cottingham, Managing Director
Kathleen Cottingham, Company Secretary
Bill Rumble, Group Commercial Director
Steve Crow, Group Operations Director
Simon Latham, Group Finance Director
Chris Brazendale, Pres. International Ops
Nathan Snowden-Merrills, General Counsel
Janet Lomas, HR Director
Jeff Bartos, Pres. and CEO, Mark Group Inc
Rob Grant, MD, Mark Group Pty
Hamish Sisson, Chief Exec., Right House Ltd
Employees 1,500 Website www.markgroup.co.uk
Mark Group is an installer of energy-saving solutions to the domestic UK market. Insulation is its main business, but it also specialises in renewable technology and in 2009 began international expansion. Two additional brands work in partnership with Mark Group - HeatSeekers and Our Generation providing a thermal imaging service and solar power enablement, respectively.
Mark Group, or Mark Insulations as it was previously known, started in 1974 as a small family-run business, installing cavity wall and loft insulation in Leicestershire.
The company was overhauled in 2006 and within the space of around 12 months, grew from 400 employees to well over 1,000. The growth was driven by Government policy supporting home insulation and energy saving. It was during this period of rapid growth that Mark Group expanded its services to offer renewable technology options.
On Wednesday June 8, 2011 an article was published in the New York Times reporting on Mark Group's successful growth, specifically focussing on its expansion into the US.
The Mark Group business is divided into three key sectors:
- New build
- Social housing and local authority 
Mark Group operates out of 14 locations throughout England, Scotland and Wales. Its head office is based in Leicester in the East Midlands, where approximately 400 of its staff operate. From these bases it delivers around 6,000 energy saving measures to domestic properties every week.
Mark Group installs energy-saving products. This includes cavity wall and loft insulation, solid wall insulation, solar electric, solar hot water and air source heat pumps. Mark Group doesn’t manufacture any of the products it installs instead, it has agreements in place with manufacturers across the industry.
The purpose-built facility, in Leicester, contains practice models of every type of wall, roof and interior that installers might come across when working on domestic properties. Training courses run throughout the year covering everything from installation techniques and customer service, to specialist surveyor courses and assessments for microgeneration. The 1,000th Academy graduate was congratulated by Minister for Energy and Climate Change, Greg Barker in June 2010.
HeatSeekers was launched in Autumn 2008 by Energy Saving Partnership - a sister company to Mark Group. It gathers thermal images of homes showing where heat is being lost, therefore identifying where insulation could be usefully installed. HeatSeekers works with the agreement of local authorities to image houses and its vehicles can gather up to 1,000 images every hour. 
Our Generation works in partnership with Mark Group providing a pay-as-you-go solar power scheme for schools. Our Generation’s first project was the installation of 204 solar photovoltaic panels on Birchwood High School in Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire, in 2009. The installation generates around seven per cent of the school’s energy requirements.
Mark Group has featured on both BBC and ITV providing comment for features which have focussed on energy-efficiency. The BBC's 'Low Carbon Family' broadcast in 2007  where Mark Group helped make the Hawksworth family home in Leicestershire more energy-efficient. In 2010, Mark Group featured on ITV's Tonight Show: ‘Money to Burn’, looking at how consumers could fight back against the rising cost of energy bills, following what was quoted as the 'coldest winter for decades'.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Mark Group sponsors Leicester Tigers RFC’s Community Programme  encouraging young people to get involved in the sport. The company is also linked to rugby through its appointment of former British Lion and England International, Martin Corry who joined the company in 2009 as Partnerships Director.
Mark Group Australia
Mark Group opened a base in Sydney, Australia in 2009. Mark Group Australia mirrors UK operations, but offers ceiling insulation, solar hot water and roof ventilation as energy-saving solutions, suited to local environmental conditions.
Mark Group North America
Mark Group continued its international growth in late 2010 with the opening of new North American headquarters in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The opening was announced by Pennsylvania State Governor, Ed Rendell and Philadelphia Mayor, Michael Nutter. The North American operation is being headed up by President and CEO, Jeff Bartos. Dave Hopkins is Chief Operating Officer.
Right House, New Zealand
In July, 2011, Mark Group announced its acquisition of New Zealand energy saving business, Right House. The business was acquired from electricity generator, Meridian Energy. Through the acquisition, it was stated that all of Right House's employees and operational bases would be retained and Hamish Sisson would remain as chief executive officer.
- ^ "Mark Insulations Appoints New Chairman" (Press release). Building Talk. 2005-07-27. http://www.buildingtalk.com/news/mak/mak100.html.
- ^ "Clean Energy Cash Back Scheme - is it for real?". Leicester Mercury. 2010-03-03. http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/Clean-Energy-Cash-Scheme-real/article-1880898-detail/article.html.
- ^ "Free solar panel schemes explained". 2010-08-20. http://solarfeedintariff.co.uk/tag/mark-group/.
- ^ "U.S. Is Falling Behind in the Business of ‘Green’". New York Times. 2011-06-08. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/business/09subsidies.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1.
- ^ "Chartered Institute of Housing Annual Conference - ventilation, insulation solar and more". Building4Change. 2010-04-28. http://www.building4change.com/page.jsp?id=356.
- ^ "Lee Cottingham and family". The Sunday Times. 2010-03-16. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/sitesearch.do?querystring=cottingham§ionId=2&p=sto&pf=all.
- ^ "Mark Group becomes a Kingspan Solar Accredited Installer" (Press release). Building Talk. 2010-02-16. http://www.buildingtalk.com/news/kil/kil108.html.
- ^ "Mark Group new academy for renewables technicians" (Press release). Building Talk. 2007-11-27. http://www.buildingtalk.com/news/mak/mak109.html.
- ^ "Insulation company Mark Group runs an environmental training academy in Leicester". Sky News. 2009-02-11. http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Green-Jobs-Energy-Experts-Frustrated-At-Lack-Of-Progress-On-Environment-Jobs/Article/200902215220535.
- ^ "House of Commons - approx 4mins 10 seconds into broadcast". www.parliament.uk. 2010-06-30. http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=6384&st=12:47:29.3000000.
- ^ "Mark Group and HeatSeekers presentation to local authorities". YouTube. 2009-02-04. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_9EdKeYhk.
- ^ "Detectors put the heat on badly insulated Leeds homes". Yorkshire Evening Post. 2010-03-10. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/Detectors-put-the-head-on.6187943.jp.
- ^ "HeatSeekers return to Traffod" (Press release). Trafford Council. 2010-07-15. http://www.trafford.gov.uk/news/press/details.asp?ID=2072.
- ^ "HeatSeekers to help boost energy efficiency in home" (Press release). Herefordshire Council. 2009-09-29. http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/council_gov_democracy/news/42090.asp.
- ^ "Greg Barker visits Birchwood High School". YouTube. 2010-09-06. http://www.youtube.com/deccgovuk#p/u/2/NFy9B3LTTc0.
- ^ "Low carb family: Insulation - Related internet links: Mark Group". BBC. 2007-03-16. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/6453737.stm.
- ^ "Tonight: Money to Burn". ITV. http://www.itv.com/news/tonight/episodes/moneytoburn/. Retrieved 2010-09-22.
- ^ "Mark Group Backs Tigers Community Programmes" (Press release). Leicester Tigers. 2009-09-22. http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/13847.php.
- ^ "Energy Saving Provides Funds for Clubs" (Press release). RFU Touchline. 2010-04. http://www.rfutouchline.com/index.asp?edition=123&category=Community%20Rugby.
- ^ "Mark Group Australia offers professional insulation and energy solutions" (Press release). Infolink. 2009-11-16. http://www.infolink.com.au/c/Mark-Group-Australia/Mark-Group-Australia-offers-professional-insulation-and-energy-solutions-n869781.
- ^ "UK’s biggest insulation firm now in Australia". FM Magazine. 2009-11-13. http://www.fmmagazine.com.au/uks-biggest-insulation-firm-now-in-australia/.
- ^ "Home-energy firm to locate at Navy Yard". The Philadelphia Inquirer. 2010-10-22. http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/business_breaking/20101022_Home-energy_firm_to_locate_at_Navy_Yard.html/.
- ^ "People in the News". The Philadelphia Inquirer. 2010-11-08. http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20101108_People_in_the_News.html/.
- ^ "Mark Group powers up with New Zealand buy". Insider Media. 2011-07-04. http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/55076-mark-group-powers-new-zealand-buy/index.html.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.