- United States Army Space and Missile Defense Command
Space and Missile Defense Command
Shoulder Sleeve Insignia
Active October 1, 1997- Branch U.S. Army Garrison/HQ Redstone Arsenal Commanders Current
Lieutenant General Richard P. Formica Insignia Distinctive Unit Insignia
The United States Army Space and Missile Defense Command (SMDC) is a specialized major command within the United States Army. The command was established in 1997. The SMDC is an organization composed of several components:
- SMDC Headquarters and the Force Development Integration Center in Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
- 1st Space Brigade, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado – consists of 1st Space Battalion, 117th Space Battalion (Colorado Army National Guard) and 53rd Signal Battalion (SATCON)
- 100th Missile Defense Brigade (GMD), Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado
- U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command / U.S. Army Strategic Command (Forward) located in Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Space and Missile Defense Technical Center (SMDTC)
- Space and Missile Defense Battle Lab (SMDBL)
- Space and Missile Defense Acquisition Center (SMDAC) based in Huntsville, Alabama; the SMDAC comprises:
- High Energy Laser Systems Test Facility (HELSTF), at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico.
- U.S. Army Kwajalein Atoll/Reagan Test Site (USAKA/RTS), in the Republic of the Marshall Islands
- Army Space Program Office (ASPO) in Alexandria, Virginia
- Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensors Project Office (JLENS) based in Huntsville, Alabama
- Ballistic Missile Targets Joint Project Office (BMTJPO) based in Huntsville, Alabama
The current commander is Lieutenant General Richard P. Formica., with Senior Enlisted Advisor Command Sergeant Major Larry S. Turner.
- ^ Associated Press, "U.S. Army tests new dirigible craft to detect cruise missiles", 20 April 2010.
- ^ "USASMDC – Lieutenant General Kevin T. Campbell". January 2007. Archived from the original on 13 June 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20070613092421/http://www.smdc.army.mil/SMDC/BIO/Campbell.html. Retrieved 11 April 2007.
- Official website
- Future Warfare Preparation: US Army Space & Missile Defense Command – animated dramatization of various missile defense scenarios (video made by Delta Research Inc for SMDC)
commandsArmy CommandsService ComponentsDirect Reporting UnitsField ArmiesBranches
Acquistion Corps · Adjutant General's Corps · Air Defense Artillery Branch · Armor Branch · Aviation Branch · Army Band · Chaplain Corps · Chemical Corps · Civil Affairs Corps · Corps of Engineers · Dental Corps · Field Artillery Corps · Finance Corps · Infantry Branch · Inspector General's Corps · Judge Advocate General's Corps · Logistics Branch · Medical Corps · Medical Service Corps · Medical Specialist Corps · Military Intelligence Corps · Military Police Corps · Nurse Corps · Ordnance Corps · Psychological Operations Corps · Quartermaster Corps · Signal Corps · Special Forces · Transportation Corps · Veterinary Corps
Installations Training Uniforms and insignia Equipment History and traditionsHistory · Continental Army · National Army · Army of the United States · United States Army Air Forces · Center of Military History · Institute of Heraldry · America's Army · Army Art Program · Army Band · Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps · Flag · National Museum · Rangers · Soldier's Creed · The Army Goes Rolling Along · Draft · Service numbers Public sector space agencies AfricaNorth AfricaSub-SaharanNASRDA · SANSA AmericasNorth AmericaSouth America AsiaEast AsiaSoutheast AsiaSouth AsiaSouthwest AsiaCentral Asia Europe Oceania World
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.