- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Halifax
Archdiocese of Halifax Location Country Canada Territory Central Nova Scotia Ecclesiastical province Nova Scotia Metropolitan Halifax, Nova Scotia Population
Information Denomination Roman Catholic Rite Roman Rite Established February 15, 1842 Current leadership Pope Benedict XVI Archbishop Anthony Mancini Website catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dhali.html
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Halifax (Latin: Archidioecesis Halifaxiensis) is a Roman Catholic archdiocese that includes part of the Province of Nova Scotia and includes the suffragan dioceses of Antigonish, Charlottetown, and Yarmouth. Its current diocesan ordinary is Archbishop Anthony Mancini.
Originally a part of the Diocese of Quebec, the diocese of Halifax was established February 15, 1842 and included the whole of Nova Scotia. In 1844, the diocese was divided and in 1852, Halifax was elevated to an archdiocese. The Archdiocese of Halifax covers 21,770 square kilometers.
As of 2006, the archdiocese contained 53 parishes, 64 active diocesan priests, 16 religious priests, and 161,125 Catholics. It also had 243 Women Religious, 17 Religious Brothers, and 28 permanent deacons.
The following is a list of the bishops and archbishops of Halifax and their terms of service:
- William Fraser (1842–1844)
- William Walsh (1845–1858)
- Thomas Louis Connolly (1859–1876)
- Michael Hannan (1877–1882)
- Cornelius O'Brien (1882–1906)
- Edward Joseph McCarthy (1906–1931)
- Thomas O'Donnell (archbishop) (1931–1936)
- John Thomas McNally (1937–1952)
- Joseph Gerald Berry (1953–1967)
- James Martin Hayes (1967–1990)
- Austin-Emile Burke (1991–1998)
- Terrence Thomas Prendergast (1998–2007)
- Anthony Mancini (2007–present)
- ^ Kevin Knight (2009). "Archdiocese of Halifax". NewAdvent.org. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07117b.htm. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ David Cheney (14 March 2011). Archdiocese of Halifax page at catholichierarchy.org "Archdiocese of Halifax". CatholicHierarchy.org. http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/dhali.html Archdiocese of Halifax page at catholichierarchy.org. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- ^ "Archdiocese of Halifax". Catholic Encyclopedia. http://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=5498. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
Roman Catholic Ecclesiastical Provinces in Canada Roman Catholicism in North America Sovereign states Dependencies and
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.