- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma
Mucoepidermoid carcinoma Classification and external resources
Micrograph of a mucoepidermoid carcinoma. FNA specimen. Pap stain.
ICD-O: 8430/3 OMIM 607536 MeSH C04.557.470.200.025.340
Mucicarmine staining is one stain used by pathologist for detection.
Presents as painless, slow-growing mass that is firm or hard. Most appear clinically as mixed tumors.
This tumor is not encapsulated and is characterized by squamous cells, mucus-secreting cells, and intermediate cells.
Mucoepidermoid carcinomas of the salivary and bronchial glands are characterized by a recurrent t(11;19)(q21;p13) chromosomal translocation resulting in a MECT1-MAML2 fusion gene. The CREB-binding domain of the CREB coactivator MECT1 (also known as CRTC1, TORC1 or WAMTP1) is fused to the transactivation domain of the Notch coactivator MAML2 (PMID:16444749).
Generally, there is a good prognosis for low-grade tumors, and a poor prognosis for high-grade tumors.
- ^ Elsevier Article Locator
- ^ Modern Pathology - Primary Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma and Sclerosing Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma with Eosinophilia of the Thyroid Gland: A Report of Nine Cases
- ^ "Melnick M., Sedghizadeh P. S., Allen C. M., Jaskoll T.". Experimental and Molecular Pathology. 10 November 2011. doi:doi:10.1016/j.yexmp.2011.10.011. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0014480011001869.
- -489684982 at GPnotebook
- Overview at usc.edu
- Slide at jhu.edu
- mucoepidermoid carcinoma at humpath.com
- salivary mucoepidermoid carcinoma images at humpath.com
Glandular and epithelial neoplasms (ICD-O 8010-8589) Epithelium GlandsOther/multipleAdnexal and
skin appendage (8390-8429)Cystic, mucinous,
and serous (8440-8499)Cystic generalSerousDuctal, lobular,
and medullary (8500-8549)Lobular carcinoma in situ · Invasive lobular carcinomaAcinar cell (8550-8559)
OtherComplex epithelial (8560-8589)see also Template:Epithelium and epithelial tissue Tumors of lip, oral cavity and pharynx / head and neck cancer (C00–C14/D10–D11, 140–149/210) Oral cancer
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.