- Chocolate-covered potato chips
Chocolate-covered potato chips are an American snack food or confectionery, consisting of potato chips that have been dipped into melted chocolate or cocoa, and coated with the chocolate. They are used for snacking like potato chips, and also served at parties or get togethers as appetizers and dessert items, especially in North Dakota.
The "chipper" has existed for many years, although the facts about its creation and history are in dispute. Widman's Candy, founded in 1885, has a long history with the product. For many years, these treats, called "chippers", have been made in the Fargo, North Dakota area by Widman's, other commercial confectioneries, and at homes.
The potato chips used are usually the regular or plain tasting ridged shaped potato chips. Ridged chips are used because they tend to be more sturdy and can hold the heavy chocolate. It also allows the chocolate flavor to be enhanced as the chocolate is allowed to build between the ridges of the chip. The kind of chocolate used is usually milk chocolate that is easily tempered for coating other foods. The tempering of chocolate is to basically melt chunks of chocolate into a liquid form in order to create a coating for whatever the chocolate will be used to cover or coat. Chocolate covered potato chips may also be found in the gourmet section of grocery stores or at a specialty foods store.
- Chocolate-coated marshmallow treats
- Chocolate-coated peanut
- Chocolate-coated raisin
- Chocolate-covered bacon
- Chocolate-covered coffee bean
- ^ carol Widman's Candy company website. Accessed August 6, 2009.
- ^ a b Road Food website. Accessed August 6, 2009.
- ^ a b AP, "Candy Co. Sues Fargo Woman Over Web Site," February 5, 2007, found at WCCO website. Accessed August 6, 2009.
- ^ a b Dan Kaercher, Taste of the Midwest, p. 149, found at Google Books. Accessed August 6, 2009.
- ^ Fargo-Moorhead Convention and Visotr's Bureau official website. Accessed August 6, 2009.
- ^ Offbeat Travel website. Accessed August 6, 2009.
- ^ The Chicago Tribune, on November 21, 1985, wrote: "The mail recently brought a sample box of the latest chocolate gimmick: chocolate-covered potato chips. After wrinkling my nose and groaning, I tried one. Not bad. In fact, surprisingly good."
Chocolate desserts CakesBlack Forest cake • Boston cream pie • Bûche de Noël • Chocolate brownie • Chocolate cake • Chokladboll • Death by Chocolate • Devil's food cake • Éclair • Flourless chocolate cake • Fudge cake • Garash cake • German chocolate cake • Molten chocolate cake • Pain au chocolat • Prinzregententorte • Red velvet cake • Sachertorte • Torta caprese Pies & tarts Cookies Ice cream Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.