- Potato salad
Potato salad is a dish made from boiled potatoes, the versions of which vary throughout different regions and countries of the world. Although called a salad, it is generally considered a side dish, as it generally accompanies the main course.
Potato salad is often served with barbecue, roasts, hot dogs, fried chicken, hamburgers and cold sandwiches. It is generally considered casual fare, and as such is typically served at picnics, outdoor barbecues, and other casual meals and events.
It is a popular menu choice of cooks preparing food for a large number of people, because it is easily made in large quantities, it can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until needed, and requires inexpensive ingredients.
General versions of potato salad include:
- salad made with baby potatoes, cooked in their jackets and left whole (skin on)
- larger potatoes, cooked in their jackets and then peeled and cut
- salad with a mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, sour cream or milk dressing
- salad with vinegar dressing
- salad with bacon, anchovies, or mustard.
- salad with a fresh herb or dill dressing and/or chives, scallions, tarragon, gherkins, capers or other items.
- salad with raw onions, cooked onions or pickled onions.
- salad with tomatoes or green beans.
- salad with hard-boiled eggs (a combination of potato salad and egg salad)
- salad with ham, pickles, corn, hard-boiled egg and tomato (known in France as salade piemontaise)
- salad with orange slices, Worcestershire sauce, bacon, and chives.
Different versions of potato salad are served at different temperatures. Most potato salads are served at room temperature, though the southern German variant may be served warm as well. In the U.S. and northern Germany potato salads are commonly served chilled and require refrigeration beforehand.
In Bulgaria potato salad is made with boiled then peeled and diced potatoes, leeks or onions, oil, salt and black pepper.
Czech Republic and Slovakia
In the Czech Republic and Slovakia, potato salad is a traditional Christmas meal. It comes as a side dish to a fried fish (most commonly carp) or certain type of white sausage which is served as a dinner on Christmas Eve. Each family preserves their own recipe. It most commonly contains potatoes, mayonnaise, eggs and onions. Some families use also carrots, green peas, pickled cucumbers, celery, mustard, salami and other ingredients.
German "Kartoffelsalat" is a popular variation that is generally prepared with vinegar, rather than mayonnaise, and bacon bits and served warm. Potato salad from northern Germany, however, is generally based on mayonnaise and quite similar to its U.S. counterpart.
- ^ "Potato Salad ("Patate all'Insalata" - " 'Nzalata ri Patati")". Sicilian Cooking Plus. http://siciliancookingplus.com/salads/05_PotatoSalad.html. Retrieved June 30, 2011.
- ^ Penza, John (1997). Sicilian Vegetarian Cooking. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press. p. 146. ISBN 0898158680.
- The Largest Potato Salad Website On Earth
- BBC Food - sample potato salad recipe
- Dictionary.com Definition
- Potato Salad Recipes
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.