- Niki Evans
Niki Evans Born 13 December 1972
Genres Pop, house, electronic, Soul Occupations Singer Years active 1984–present Labels
Gotham RecordsRollover Records RCA Records
Associated acts Leon Jackson, Rhydian Roberts Website www.niki-evans.com
Niki Evans (born 13 December 1972) is an English actress and singer. She is best known for her appearance in the fourth UK series of the popular television talent show The X Factor in 2007. She is currently appearing as Mrs. Johnstone in the current UK national tour of Blood Brothers.
Pre X Factor
Niki Evans has sung with bands since the age of 12. At the age of 16 she was signed to Libido Records, an offshoot of Pete Waterman's PWL label. "Of R Timez", a single released with Ball Parc Playerz, did not achieve chart success.
- 1990 – Toured as a solo singer with pop stars Sonia, Lonnie Gordon, Big Fun and Yell!.
- 1992 – Married and settled down in Tamworth, Staffordshire with husband Darren. They had two sons.
- 1999 – Made her first TV appearance on the BBC’s Star for a Night, hosted by Jane McDonald. Following this she was approached by songwriters Stunt Masters to record a song to front a Mars chocolate TV advertising campaign.
- 2007 – Working as a catering manager at Polesworth International Language College in Tamworth. After her father's death she used an X Factor application form found in his personal files – and passed the audition to win a place in the live finals.
The X Factor 2007
Evans was selected for the final phase of the competition as one of three contestants in the Over 25s category mentored by competition judge Louis Walsh. The others in this category were Beverley Trotman and Daniel DeBourg. Her performance of "Nothing Compares to You" in the first week of the live shows brought a standing ovation from the audience and acclaim from the four judges. Judge Sharon Osbourne told Evans that she was "in a class of her own". Each week Evans took on new challenges, both singing and performing, and was never placed in the bottom two, until she was eliminated at the semi-final stage.
X Factor performances
Round Song choice Theme (if any) Result Week 1 "Nothing Compares 2 U" Number One Hits Safe Week 2 "My Heart Will Go On" Songs from the movies Safe Week 3 "All That Jazz" Big band Safe Week 4 "Because of You" 21st century hits Safe Week 5 "Hot Stuff" Disco Safe Week 6 "The Power of Love" Love songs Safe Week 7 "Total Eclipse of the Heart" Best of British Safe "Fields of Gold" Week 8 "Songbird" Contestant's choice Eliminated "One Moment in Time" Mentor's choice
Post X Factor
Since appearing on The X Factor and the subsequent X Factor arena tour, Niki Evans has sung with John Barrowman at the Symphony Hall, Birmingham and alongside Kim Wilde and Heather Small in Dubai. She appeared as a special guest of Jasper Carrott on his Christmas Rock With Laughter show at the NEC. Other appearances on TV include spots on LK Today with Lorraine Kelly and ITV’s This Morning with Phillip Schofield and Fern Britton.
- August 2008 – Signed to artist management specialists, Liz Hobbs Group.
- September 2008 – Successful audition for the lead part of Mrs Johnstone in the West End musical Blood Brothers.
- October 2008 – Debut solo single "Love Me No More" scheduled for release by London-based Rollover Records on 27 October (download only).
- October 2008 – Evans joined the Blood Brothers touring company to play Mrs Johnstone for two weeks at the Birmingham Hippodrome.
- November 2008 – Blood Brothers West End début at the Phoenix Theatre on 3 November. Evans will be with the show until 28 March 2009.
- April 27, 2009 - Evans rejoins the West End cast of Blood Brothers until the end of September.
- 2009-2010 - A new single 'I Feel Love', a cover of Donna Summer's 1977 hit is due for release 21 September 2009 and an album to follow in the autumn and Niki will touring early 2010. She promoted her new single with a live appearance in The Bentall Centre in Kingston-upon-Thames.
- December 2009 - January 2010 - Appearing in pantomime as The Fairy Godmother in Cinderella at The Wolverhampton Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton. She released her debut album By Request on iTunes in December 2009.
- April 2010 - Evans rejoins the West End cast of Blood Brothers.
Year Album details Chart peak positions Certifications UK IRE 2009 By Request - -
Year Song Chart positions Album UK IRE 2008 "Love Me No More" - - Non-album single 2009 "I Feel Love" - - By Request 2010 "Championees" - - Non-album single "Walk In The Silence" - - TBA
- ^ "Niki Evans Official Website mini biography". http://www.niki-evans.com/html/niki-evans-info.html.
- ^ "Mirror interview". http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/latest/2007/11/10/x-factor-nikki-exclusive-115875-20089596/.
- ^ "Yahoo TV". http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/x-factor/2007/finalists/niki-evans.html.
- ^ "ukdynasty interview". http://www.ukdynasty.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-67102.html.
- ^ "John Barrowman tour". http://johnbarrowman.com/concerts/anothersidetour.html.
- ^ "Rock With Laughter". http://www.jaspercarrott.com/newsshow.asp?SiteID=JAS&CatType=Page&M=2&PageID=19&NewsID=53.
- ^ "Yahoo News". http://news.yahoo.com/s/playbill/20080929/en_playbill/121823.
- Official website
- Niki Evans Official Forum
- An interview with Niki Evans talking about her role in BLOOD BROTHERS - todoMUSICALES.com
- Niki Evans at the Internet Movie Database
Notable contestants of The X Factor (UK) Series one Series two Series three Series four Series five Series six Series seven Series eightCarolynne Poole
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.