- Rhône (department)
Rhône — Department —
Coat of arms
Coordinates: Coordinates: Country France Region Rhône-Alpes Prefecture Lyon Subprefectures Villefranche-
Government – President of the General Council Michel Mercier (Centrist) Area1 – Total 3,249 km2 (1,254.4 sq mi) Population (2007) – Total 1,677,073 – Rank 4th – Density 516.2/km2 (1,336.9/sq mi) Time zone CET (UTC+1) – Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2) Department number 69 Arrondissements 2 Cantons 54 Communes 293 ^1 French Land Register data, which exclude estuaries, and lakes, ponds, and glaciers larger than 1 km2
Originally, the eastern border of Rhône was the city of Lyon itself, so that the communes immediately east of Lyon belonged to neighboring department. With the growth of Lyon and the spilling of the urban area over the suburban communes of Lyon, the limits of the department were judged impractical as they left the suburbs of Lyon outside of Rhône . Thus, Rhône was enlarged several times to incorporate into it the suburbs of Lyon from neighboring department:
- In 1852, 4 communes from Isère were incorporated into Rhône.
- In 1967, 23 communes of Isère and 6 communes of Ain were incorporated into Rhône.
- In 1971, 1 commune from Isère was incorporated into Rhône.
With these enlargements, the area of the Rhône department increased from 2,791 km² to the current 3,249 km² (16.4% larger). At the 1999 French census, the original Rhône department would have had only 1,071,288 inhabitants, which means that the population in the territories added in the last two centuries was 507,581 inhabitants in 1999.
Rivers include the Rhône and the Saône (which joins the Rhône in Lyon).
Over 75% of the population lives within the Lyon metropolitan area. Apart from Villefranche-sur-Saône, the largest cities of the Rhône department are all part of the Urban Community of Lyon|Lyon metropolitan area (1999 census):
- Lyon: 504,187 inhabitants
- Villeurbanne: 162,500 inhabitants
- Vénissieux: 60,487 inhabitants
- Caluire-et-Cuire: 46,667 inhabitants
- Saint-Priest: 45,213 inhabitants
- Vaulx-en-Velin: 42,466 inhabitants
- Villefranche-sur-Saône: 38,863 inhabitants
- Bron: 40,600 inhabitants
Party seats Socialist Party 19 • Union for a Popular Movement 16 • MoDem 7 • Miscellaneous Right 5 • New Centre 3 French Communist Party 3 The Greens 1 Left Radical Party 1
- Cantons of the Rhône department
- Communes of the Rhône department
- Arrondissements of the Rhône department
- French language
- Arpitan language
- (French) Prefecture website
- (French) General Council website
- (French) 69.pagesd.info - Webportal and directory of communes and web sites of the Rhône (69) département website
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.