- Malvern tram depot, Melbourne
The old buildings in the complex feature distinctive Crenellation and are listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. The depot celebrated its centenary on 30 May 2010 when it hosted a function to commemorate the opening of the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust on 30 May 1910. Former P&MTT trams 44 and 84 were brought from Bendigo for the occasion with 44 running several special trips between the depot and Dandenong Road.
The main yard has 17 roads, 14 of these inside 2 sheds and 3 uncovered roads taking up space in Coldblo Road. A multi-directional single exit/entry track exists, which may have the capacity to cause more delays than dual tracks.
Trams based at the depot
Malvern Depot is home to a combination of both old and new trams. The fleet includes 16 Z1-Class trams, 26 Z3-Class trams, 38 Siemens 'Combino' 3-car module D1-Class trams (the whole fleet), and a single Siemens Combino 5-car module 5021 D2-Class; a total of 81. Routine servicing of Z3-Class trams is performed at Southbank Depot and conversely, maintenance of the Siemens Combino fleet is done by Malvern Depot, involving almost daily 'Not In Service' runs of the fleet backwards and forwards between the depots for repair.
Scheduled mainline services operated from the depot
- Route 5 - Malvern to Melbourne University
- Route 6 - Glen Iris to Melbourne University
- Route 8 - Toorak to Moreland, shared with Brunswick tram depot
- Route 16 - Kew to Melbourne University
- Route 72 - Camberwell to Melbourne University
Unscheduled 'dry-run' and 'short-run' services operated from the depot
- Route 7 - University of Melbourne to Malvern Town Hall ('car-in', where driver runs tram into depot)
- Melbourne tram route 73 - Camberwell to Glenferrie & Malvern Roads ('car-in', where driver runs tram into depot)
- Route 69 - Malvern Depot to Luna Park (first service of the day only)
- Melbourne tram route 12 - Kew to Malvern Depot (used as a 'school run' only on school days)
- Melbourne tram route 14 - Federation Square to Malvern Depot, via St Kilda (late-night service)
- Melbourne tram route 15 - Kew to Federation Square, via St Kilda (late-night service)
Trams in Melbourne - Yarra Trams Routes Current Tram FleetW • Z • A • B • C • C2 • D OperatorKDR Melbourne (Yarra Trams) Former operators Tourist services Tram depotsBrunswick • Camberwell • East Preston • Essendon • Glenhuntly • Hawthorn • Kew • Malvern • North Fitzroy • Preston Workshops • Newport Workshops • Southbank • South Melbourne Miscellaneous
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.