- Navy blue
— Color coordinates —
Hex triplet #000080 sRGBB (r, g, b) (0, 0, 128) HSV (h, s, v) (240°, 100%, 50%) Source HTML/CSS B: Normalized to [0–255] (byte)
Navy blue is a very dark shade of the color blue which almost appears as black. Navy blue got its name from the dark blue (contrasted with white) worn by officers in the British Royal Navy since 1748 and subsequently adopted by other navies around the world.
When this color, taken from the usual color of the uniforms of sailors, originally came into use in the early 19th century, it was initially called marine blue, but the name of the color soon changed to navy blue.
The first recorded use of Navy blue as a color name in English was in 1840.
- A blazer, which is usually colored navy blue, is a special type of sportcoat with brass buttons that is often worn at special occasions such as at graduations, when eating at gourmet restaurants, or when yachting.
- The color navy was on the original 16 HTML/CSS colors initially formulated for standardized computer display in the late 1980s.
- In the United States Navy and the Royal Canadian Navy, uniforms which are called navy blue (e.g. Working Blues and Service Dress Blues in the US, and uniforms 1, 1A, 2B, 3, 3A, 3B (winter), 3C in Canada) are, in actuality, colored black. Canadian Forces Dress Instructions for naval units and members specify that, " 'navy blue' is a tone of black". (See also Uniforms of the United States Navy and Uniforms of the Canadian Forces).
- Navy Blue is the name of an album by Diane Renay (all the songs on the CD are about sailors).
- NAVY BLUE is the title of a single by Rina Aiuchi which was related on October 3, 2001.
Navy blue is used by numerous professional and collegiate sports teams:
- ^ W3C TR CSS3 Color Module, HTML4 color keywords
- ^ Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Color New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Page 168 Discussion of color Navy blue
- ^ Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Color New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Page 103; Color Sample of Navy blue: Page 131 Plate 40 Color Sample E11
- ^ CANADIAN FORCES DRESS INSTRUCTIONS/INSTRUCTIONS SUR LA TENUE DES FORCES CANADIENNES
- ^ Diane Renay’s website
- ^ Club History – Philadelphia Union (official website).
- ^ History of the Chicago Bears Uniform – Chicago Bears (official website).
See alsoWeb colors
black gray silver white maroon red purple fuchsia green lime olive yellow navy blue teal aquaShades of blue Air Force blue Alice blue Azure Baby blue Bleu de France Blue Bondi blue Brandeis blue Cambridge Blue Carolina blue Celeste Cerulean Cobalt blue Columbia blue Cornflower blue Cyan Dark blue Deep sky blue Dodger blue Duke blue Egyptian blue Electric blue Eton blue Federal blue Glaucous Electric indigo International Klein Blue Iris Light blue Majorelle Blue Maya blue Midnight blue Navy blue Non-photo blue Palatinate blue Periwinkle Persian blue Phthalo blue Powder blue Prussian blue Royal blue Sapphire Sky blue Steel blue Teal Tiffany Blue True Blue Tufts Blue Turquoise UCLA Blue Ultramarine Yale Blue The samples shown above are only indicative.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.