- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology বাংলাদেশ প্রকৌশল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Established 1876: Dhaka Survey School
1912: Ahsanullah School of Engineering
1947: Faculty of Engineering, University of Dhaka
Type Public, Coeducational Chancellor President Mohammad Zillur Rahman Vice-Chancellor Dr. S.M. Nazrul Islam Academic staff 500 Students 5500 Location Dhaka, Bangladesh Campus Urban, 76.85 acres (0.31 km²) Nickname BUET Website www.buet.ac.bd
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Bengali: বাংলাদেশ প্রকৌশল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Bangladesh Prokoushol Bishshobiddalôe) or BUET as it is commonly known, is a Public Engineering University in Bangladesh. It is the oldest Engineering institution in the region, and is regarded as the best university for technological education in Bangladesh. The medium of instruction is English.
Every year, about 1000 students get enrolled in undergraduate and postgraduate programs to study engineering, architecture, planning and science in this institution. The total number of teachers is about 500. The University has continued to expand over the last three decades. This includes the construction of new academic buildings, auditorium complex, halls of residence.
Dhaka Survey School was established in 1876 as a survey school for training surveyors. at Nalgola, in Old Dhaka to train surveyors for the then Government of Bengal of British India. Later, generous grants from Nawab Ahsanullah, a renowned Muslim patron of Education and member of the Nawab family of Dhaka enabled it to expand as a full fledged engineering school. Ahsanullah School of Engineering offered three-year diploma courses in Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. In recognition of the generous financial contribution from the then Nawab of Dhaka, it was named after his father Khwaja Ahsanullah. It was moved to its present premises in 1912.
After the partition of India in 1947, it was upgraded to Ahsanullah Engineering College, as a Faculty of Engineering under the University of Dhaka, offering four-year bachelor's courses in Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering.
In 1962, it was renamed as East Pakistan University of Engineering and Technology (EPUET). A partnership with the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (renamed Texas A&M University in 1963) was forged, and professors from A&M came to teach and to formulate the curriculum. During this period, EPUET offered courses in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, and Chemical engineering, and Architecture.
Several more departments to offer graduate and undergraduate courses in different subjects like:Water Resources Engineering, Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering, Industrial & Production Engineering, Petroleum & Mineral Resources Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering were included in the university at different times.
In 2007, BUET celebrated 60 years of engineering education in Bangladesh by arranging a series of programs and events.
The BUET campus is in the capital city of Dhaka. It has a modest-size[clarification needed] campus with limited capacity for residence within walking distances of the academic buildings. At present the campus occupies 76.85 acres (311,000 m²) of land. The academic area is confined in and around the old campus occupying 30.24 acres (122,000 m²) of land defined by Shahid Sharani, Bakshi Bazar road and the Asian Highway. This area accommodates five faculties, three institutes, the administrative building, the central library, main sports facilities, the auditorium complex, the BUET Club and eighty two small units of residential accommodation of teachers, staff and employees and the Vice-Chancellor's quarter.
Faculties and departments
Academic activities are undertaken by seventeen departments under five faculties.Eleven departments offer undergraduate courses. All of the departments except the department of Humanities offer postgraduate courses.
- Faculty of Architecture
- Dept. of Architecture (ARCH)
- Dept. of Urban and Regional Planning (URP)
- Dept. of Humanities (HUM)
- Faculty of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Dept. of Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Dept. of Industrial & Production Engineering (IPE)
- Dept. of Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering(NAME)
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Dept. of Civil Engineering (CE)
- Dept. of Water Resources Engineering (WRE)
- Faculty of Engineering
- Dept. of Chemical Engineering (ChE)
- Dept. of Materials & Metallurgical Engineering (MME)
- Dept. of Glass and Ceramic Engineering (GCE)
- Dept. of Chemistry (Chem)
- Dept. of Mathematics (Math)
- Dept. of Physics (Phys)
- Dept. of Petroleum & Mineral Resources Engineering (PMRE)
At present there are four institutes in BUET. These institutes offer postgraduate diplomas and Masters degree.
- Institute of Water and Flood Management (IWFM)
- Institute of Appropriate Technology (IAT)
- Institute of Information and Communication Technology
- Accident Research Institute
- Centre for Energy Studies (CES)
- Centre for Environmental and Resource Management (CERM)
- Biomedical Engineering Centre (BEC)
BUET central library has a great compilation of books, journals, periodicals and monographs of the relevant engineering fields. Central library has a collection of over 132,000 volumes and 218 current periodical subscription. Per year 1500 volume is added in this library. It has also a free internet browsing facility and rental library program. There are also departmental library in each department and hall library in each residence halls.
Undergraduate admission test is one of the intensive written examination in Bangladesh as it only offers a limited number of seats in each academic year. After completion of higher secondary level (HSC) education, a student can submit her or his application for undergraduate admission if s/he fulfills the minimum requirements. Students with certain percentages in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English of their higher secondary examination are allowed to take the admission test. The screening process allows 8000 students to sit for the admission test . After the admission test, only about 1000 students get admitted. However, for admission to M.S. and Ph. D. programs candidates are required to appear in interviews and/or written tests.
There are 26 seats for foreign students in undergraduate level. The pre-requisite qualification for admission is H.S.C. or GCE A level or its equivalent with good grades in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. Tuition and other fees per year is US$1000 (one thousand US dollar) and approximate cost for food, lodging etc. is US$100 (one hundred US dollar) per month. Maximum 10 students from a single country are allowed for admission.
- Dept. of Chemical Engineering: 60
- Dept. of Civil Engineering: 195
- Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering :120
- Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering: 195
- Dept. of Industrial and Production Engineering: 30
- Dept. of Material and Metallurgical Engineering: 50
- Dept. of Mechanical Engineering: 180
- Dept. of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering: 55
- Dept. of Urban and Regional Planning: 30
- Dept. of Water Resources Engineering: 30
- Dept. of Architecture: 55
Halls of residence
There are eight residence halls to provide housing for BUET students. The Shahid Smriti Hall is reserved for young teachers who do not have an official quarter in the campus and for the graduate students. The Chatri Hall is for female students, and the remaining six halls are for male students studying in the undergraduate level. These halls were built in different periods of time[when?]. Designs of these halls bear the history and architecture of different time. Administrative head of a residence hall is its provost, usually chosen from the senior teachers of different faculties. 3 Assistant Provosts are also appointed in the hall administration. Most of the halls are named after several eminent figures in the history of Bangladesh. These are listed below:
- Titumir Hall
- Ahsanullah Hall
- Chatri Hall
- Dr. M. A. Rashid Hall
- Nazrul Islam Hall
- Sher-e-Bangla Hall
- Suhrawardy Hall
- Shahid Smriti Hall
- BUET Energy Club (BEC)
- BUET Career Club (BCC
- BUET Debating Club
- BUET Drama Society
- BUET Film Society
- BUET Photographic Society 
- Satyen Bose Club (Science Club)
- BUET Rover Group
- BUET Literary Society
- Kantha BUET (Recitation Group)
- Badhan BUET Zone (voluntary blood donors' association)
- Sheba BUET
- Water Resources Engineering Students' Association(WRESA)
- Students Assiociation of Material and Metallurgical Engineering (SAMME)
- Civil Engineering Students Association (CESA)
- Association of Computer and Electrical Students (ACES)
- Urban and Regional Planning (URP)Students'Association of BUET (USAB)
- Association of Industrial and Production Engineers, Bangladesh (AIPEBD)
- Murchona BUET
- Safety Movement BUET
- Environment Watch : BUET
- BUET Journalist Society
- BUET Chess Club
- IEEE BUET Student Branch 
- Chemical Engineering Students Association
- BUET teams participated in the IEEE Myron Zucker Student Design Contest in 2001, placed first, Chicago, USA.
- BUET teams participated in the Asia-Pacific Robot Contest ABU ROBOCON 2005 Beijing and was awarded the Panasonic Award.
- BUET student won the 2006 IEEE Region 10 Student Paper Contest.
- BUET won the Student Enterprise Award in 2007 from IEEE.
- BUET won the IEEE Vibrant Student Branch Award 2008 in IEEE Region 10 Student Congress in 2007 from IEEE
A large number of BUET alumni are working in the industry and academia both in Bangladesh and outside Bangladesh.
Mechanical Engineer A.K.M. Fazle Hussain ,currently Cullen Distinguished Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Director of the Institute of Fluid Dynamics and Turbulence at the University of Houston, also obtained his bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from BUET. He built the highly regarded Aerodynamics and Turbulence Laboratory at the University of Houston.He has presented more than 200 papers in prestigious journals and regarded as world's leading authority in the research of Fluid Dynamics.He has been awarded the highest awards of the American Physical Society, American Society of Mechanical Engineers and American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.He was elected to the US National Academy of Engineering in 2001.
Notes and references
- ^ Academic Information, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- ^ "Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology". Banglapedia, National Encyclopaedia of Bangladesh. http://banglapedia.search.com.bd/HT/B_0255.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-17.
- ^ http://www.buet.ac.bd/?page_id=2
- ^ BUET central library
- ^ "Undergraduate Admission « Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology". Buet.ac.bd. http://ugadmission.buet.ac.bd/. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "Foreign 0910 « Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology". Buet.ac.bd. http://www.buet.ac.bd/?page_id=732. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- ^ "Buet Photographic Society". Flickr. http://flickr.com/groups/buetps. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
Vice Chancellor: Professor Dr. A.M.M. Safiullah
Affiliated or Associated Institutes for postgraduate studies and research
Institute of Appropriate Technology, BUET · Institute of Information & Communication Technology, BUET · Institute of Water and Flood Management, BUET
Faculties of the university
Faculty of Architecture & Planning · Faculty of Civil Engineering · Faculty of Electrical & Electronic Engineering · Faculty of Engineering · Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
Dept. of Architecture (Arch) · Dept. of Chemical Engineering (ChE) · Dept. of Chemistry (Chem) · Dept. of Civil Engineering (CE) · Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) · Dept. of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) · Dept. of Humanities (Hum) · Dept. of Industrial & Production Engineering (IPE) · Dept. of Materials & Metallurgical Engineering (MME) · Dept. of Mathematics (Math) · Dept. of Mechanical Engineering (ME) · Dept. of Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering (NAME) · Dept. of Petroleum & Mineral Resources Engineering (PMRE) · Dept. of Physics (Phys) · Dept. of Urban & Regional Planning (URP) · Dept. of Water Resources Engineering (WRE)
Host InstitutionACM ICPC Asia Regional Dhaka Site Events North South University Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology East West University International Conference on Computer and Information Technology
- Faculty of Architecture
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.