- Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology
The Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology Established 1968 Type Public Chancellor President Mohammad Zillur Rahman Vice-Chancellor Professor Dr. Shaymol Kanti Biswas Academic staff 140 Admin. staff 400 Students 2400 Location Chittagong, Bangladesh Campus Sub-urban, 163 acres (0.66 km2) Website www.cuet.ac.bd
Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (Bengali: চট্টগ্রাম প্রকৌশল ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Chottogram Prokoushol O Projukti Bishshobiddalôe), formerly named Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BIT) -Chittagong, is an engineering university in Chittagong, Bangladesh. It was established by the government with a major focus on engineering and technology.
Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology or CUET as it is commonly known, opened as full-fledged university in September 2003 and has become one of the five Engineering universities in Bangladesh. It is a sub-urban university with about 2,400 students and eleven academic departments with a strong emphasis in theoretical, applied, and interdisciplinary scientific and technological education. The university undertakes research works sponsored by local industries and national/international organizations, such as United Nations organizations, Commonwealth Foundation, University Grants Commission, etc. It has continued to expand over the last few years with the inclusion of new departments, construction of new academic buildings, auditorium complex, halls of residence etc.
CUET is situated in the district of Chittagong, the major seaport and second largest city of the country. It is in the Pahartali union under Raozan upazilla, by the side of the Chittagong-Kaptai road some 25 kilometers from the center of Chittagong City. The 210 Megawatt Raozan Thermal Power Plant is just beside the campus. Karnaphuli Hydroelectric Power Station, the largest source of hydroelectricity of the country, is situated in Kaptai, about 30 kilometers from CUET.
The university campus covers an area of 169 acres. The campus of CUET is remarkable for its natural beauty; it's landscaped around a valley. Various plants and precious varieties make the CUET campus a natural arboretum.
Facilities include academic buildings, administration building, auditorium, library, computer center, workshop, research laboratories, halls of residence, teachers' quarter, canteens and central mosque.
The University Medical Center is equipped for primary care. Serious cases are referred to a local hospital 10 kilometers away or to the city hospital by the authority of the university. The University has inside its boundaries a bank, a post office, a DRMASS telephone exchange, two card-phone booths, a PABX, a phone and fax caterer and a mini-mart where all general needs can be met with.
The surface water source is few and the tap water supply from avdeep tube well needs be aerated for general use and filtered for potability. There is a provision for a water treatment plant in the Development Scheme. A central Mosque having a large floor area of nearly 560 sq. meters is under construction. The Development Scheme includes an auditorium, extension of men's hall, etc.
The university was created out of Engineering College, Chittagong, which was established in 1968. The Engineering College, Chittagong, functioned as the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Chittagong. Through a Government Ordinance in 1986 the college was converted into an institution (BIT, Chittagong). The honorable President of Bangladesh is the visitor of the institute. A Board of Governors headed by a Chairman appointed by the President is the policy-making and administrative authority.
There were three other similar institutes of technology in the country: BIT Khulna, BIT Rajshahi and BIT Dhaka which have been converted to Khulna University of Engineering and Technology (KUET), Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET), and Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology (DUET) respectively.
- President Md. Zillur Rahman, President of People Republic of Bangladesh
- Dr Shaymal Kanti Biswas
- Faculty of Engineering – Sultan Mohammad Farooq,
- Faculty of Electrical & Computer Engineering – Mohammad Rafiqul Alam.
- Faculty of Architecture & Planning – Md. Jahangir Alam.
Head of the Departments
- Department of Civil Engineering – Dr. Md. Jahangir Alam
- Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering – Dr. Poritosh Kumar Shadhu Khan
- Department of Mechanical Engineering – Dr. Md. Tazul Islam
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering – Dr. Muhammad Ibrahim Khan
- Department of Architecture – Dr. Md. Rabiul Alam
- Department of Urban and Rural Planning – Sultan Mohammad Farooq
- Department of Petroleum and Mining Engineering – Dr. Bodius Salam
- Department of Physics – Dr. Faruque-Uz-Zaman Chowdhury
- Department of Chemistry – Dr. Rezaul Karim
- Department of Mathematics – Dr. Ashutosh Saha
- Department of Humanities – Mohammad Obaieadul Hoque
- Director, Planning & Development – Dr. Mohammad Omar Imam.
- Registrar – Md. Shafiqul Islam.
- Controller of the Examination – Dr. Md. Asaduzzaman Ukil.
- Comptroller – Md. Masudur Rahman
Faculties and Departments
Faculty of Engineering
Faculty of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Faculty of Architecture & Planning
The University offers undergraduate degrees in
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Urban and Rural Planning
- Petroleum and Mining Engineering
And postgraduate degrees in
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
In the current five-year plan some other new departments are expected to be established
The academic year and session is generally divided into two semesters. One semester is composed of 18.4 weeks and each week consists of 5 working days. The session usually starts after completion of the second semester. A full-time undergraduate course consists of four sessions or eight semesters. A regular examination is held at the end of each semester besides class tests for continuous assessment of progress. Coordinates:
Medium of instruction
The medium of instruction of this university is English, which is also the official language for examinations.
B.Sc. admission in CUET is highly competitive, determined in part through a highly competitive admission test. After completion of higher secondary level (HSC) education, a student can submit an application for undergraduate admission if he or she fulfills the minimum requirement. Students with a minimum grade in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English of their higher secondary examination are allowed to appear in the admission test.
Last year, the minimum grade point average (GPA) requirement was 4.50 out of 5.00. This screening process allow 2,500–3,000 students to sit for the admission test out of the 20,000 that apply. After the admission test, the best 420 students get the opportunity to study in this institution.
For admission to M.S. and Ph.D. programs candidates are required to appear in interviews.
Halls of residence
There are four men's and one women's dormitories. These are:
- Dr. Qudrat-E-Khuda Hall
- Shahed Mohammad Shah Hall
- Shahed Tareq Huda Hall
- Lady's Hall
- New Hall
Dr. Qudrat-E-Khuda Hall
This hall is called Q.K. Hall. It is named for the Bangladeshi scientist Dr. Qudrat-E-Khuda. Q.K. Hall is a four-storied Z-shaped building; it has 104 rooms.
Three students can live in one room. 433 students get opportunity to reside here. The hall has a dining room, a prayer room, an indoor games room, a library, a reading room,a TV room and a Robotics & Mechatronics Lab. Every year indoor games are held in this hall.
- Provost – Prof. Dr. Rejaul Karim
- Assistant Provosts – Mahmud Abdul Matin Bhuiyan, Md. Abdur Rahman Bhuiyan
Shaheed Mohammad Shah Hall
This hall is known as South Hall. It is named after the freedom fighter Mohammad Shah who died during the freedom war in 1971.
South Hall is a four-storied Z-shaped building with 104 rooms. Three students can live in one room. 415 students can reside here. It has a dining room and a TV room. Every year various indoor games are held in this hall.
- Provost – Prof. Dr. Abdur Rashid
- Assistant Provosts – Kazi Zulfikar Ali, Md. Abdullah Al Masud
Shaheed Tareq Huda Hall
This hall is called North Hall. It is name for the freedom fighter Tareq Huda who gave way his life for his motherland during the freedom war in 1971. North Hall is a four-storied Z-shaped building modified in 2002. It has 104 rooms.
Three students can live in one room. 376 students can reside here. It has a dining room and a TV room. Every year various indoor games are held in this hall.
- Provost – Prof. Dr. Faruque-Uz-Zaman Chowdhury
- Assistant Provosts – Md. Abdul Wazed, Md. Moinul Islam
About 400 female students can reside in this hostel. It has no special name; generally it is known as Ladies Hall. Only a few years ago this new buildings of ladies hall was in a separate, isolated place in the teachers' quarter. This is a two-storied buildings with 50 rooms. Four students can live in each room. Every year various indoor games are taken place here. Students of this hall arrange cultural activities here.
- Provost – Dr. Ranjit Kumar Sutradhar
- Assistant Provosts – Md. Moshiul Hoque, Farzana Rahman Zuthi
New Hall is a five-storied rectangular-shaped building. Four students can stay in one room. 600 students can reside here. It has two large dining rooms, two TV rooms, two indoor games rooms, one large prayer room, one large library,one playground and a nice guest room. Every year various indoor games are held in this hall.
- Provost – Dr. Ashutose Saha
- Assistant Provosts – Md. Yeakub Ali, Sheikh Muhammad Humayan Kabir, Shyamal Acharya,Sanaul Rabbi
Students at CUET are involved in various extracurricular activities. The student organizations at CUET are:
- CUET Journalist Association
- Debating Society
- Green for Peace
- CUET-Film Society (CUETFS)
- Robo Mechatronics Association(RMA)
- Photography & Art Culture Association
- Andromeda Space and Robotics Research Organization (ASRRO)
- CUET BSME
- CUET IEEE
- Computer Club of CUET
- CUET civil engineer's club
- CUET Programmers Club (CPC)
- Architects CUET
- CUET adventurers
- CUET athletic club
CUET Journalist Association
CUET Journalist Association (shortly known as CUETJA) is the organization of journalists studying in CUET.The members of this organization are working in various reputed national newspapers of Bangladesh. It was founded on 16 December 2006. Its main mission is to focus CUET in front of the whole countryman of Bangladesh. This is the first and only journalist association among all of the engineering universities of Bangladesh. it launched a campus based 24 hours online newspaper called cuetnews24.com. CUETJA is going to organize a program named CUETJA AWAKENING FESTIVAL-2011. The date of this festival is 23 sep 2011 in CUET campus
Joyoddhoney is the one and only Non-political Cultural Organization of CUET. It was Established on February 16, 2000 by some creative and innovative students of that time. With the goal of creating a free cultural environment inside CUET and exposing patriotism by different cultural activities, Joyoddhoney has been organizing and performing so many cultural programs both inside and outside CUET.
The computer Club, CUET started functioning in September 2000. The founder president of the computer club is Dr Md. Raisuddin Khan, a faculty member of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. The main function of this club is to promote the consciousness of information technology. It also ensures programming contest inside and outside the country.
Green for Peace
Green for Peace of CUET is an organization for nature conservation and pollution eradication. It was established in 1998 by a group of innovative students from 92 EEE batch of the 1992-93 session with Mr. Arif Chowdhury as their leader. After being established, it played a vital role in tree planting, creating nature awareness among the students of CUET. It also arranges seminars on pollution control.
CUETFS was established by some innovative students and teachers. It has started its function by showing different types of educational and entertaining feature film in a three-day program at the central auditorium of CUET. At present, Abdullah-Al-Hasan a student of 06 batch, is the president of this organization.
Photography & Art Culture Association
The founder president and general secretary of this organization are Md. Zakiul Hoque and Nasir Ahmed. It arranged an exhibition to display works of young amateur photographers & hand made articles, sketches, paintings etc.
Affiliated Institutes and Centers
- Institute of Energy Technology
- Center for Information and Communication Technology
- Earthquake Engineering Research Center
- Bureau of Research, Testing & Consultancy
Institute of Energy Technology
The Institute of Energy Technology develops solutions to energy challenges that promote economic and environmental sustainability through innovative research and education.
The aims and objectives of the Institute of Energy Technology are
- To include advanced studies and research work mostly on the interacting Energy and Environmental system;
- To carry out the research on energy and environmental and ecological perspectives in order to develop hygienic and balanced environmental systems in the country, and to preserve bio-diversity;
- To apply energy and environmental science and engineering for a balanced sustainable development reserving Bangladesh
- To carry out research on environmental hazards including pollution;
- To make intensive studies on both natural and modified/artificial ecosystems for identifying interactions and monitor them to the people through Journals and other media;
- To undertake energy and environmental research projects in co-operation with public or private organizations at home and abroad;
- To promote and provide facilities for advanced studies and research work on energy engineering and/or environmental engineering and/or energy and environmental engineering and environmental science for M. Sc., M. Phil., and Ph.D., degree, training, diploma and post-doctoral researches.
Center for Information and Communication Technology
Activities of the Academic Wing:
- To offer courses leading to diplomas and degrees in the field of ICT
- To initiate, organize and perform studies and research on practical applications of ICT
- To promote and provide facilities for development of skilled manpower in ICT
- To provide short course and training to interested persons in the field of ICT
- To provide refresher course and training in emerging branches of ICT
- To hold conference, seminar, workshop and other events related to the development of ICT in the country
- To develop linkage and exchange program with local and overseas organizations
- To publish books, journals, monographs etc.
Activities of the System and Support Wing:
- To promote the use of ICT in the University and the country
- To promote multidisciplinary development of computer applications
- To provide training to students, teachers, officers and employees of the University in relevant fields of ICT
- To produce software for indigenous use as well as for export
- To plan, install, maintain and develop computer networks within the University and also links to other institutions in the country as well as the Internet
- To provide computing, infrastructural and advisory services to students, officers and teachers of the University
- To provide advice and physical assistance to different departments, institutes and offices of the University in matters related to the purchase, operation, maintenance and development of computer hardware and software.
Cisco Networking Academy Program is offered by Center for Information and Communication Technology, CUET. The Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Program is a complete, four-semester program on the principles and practice of designing, building, and maintaining networks capable of supporting national and global organizations. Contact CICT office for information about next intake.
Short Courses: • Java Programming Language • Web Programming with PHP • Principals of Network and Internet development • Application development using Visual basic and Oracle • Linux for Enterprise Use. • Auto CAD
Earthquake Engineering Research Center
- Seismic Structural Assessment of Damaged Chittagong Public Library Building During 27 July 2003 Earthquake
- Generation of Liquefaction Potential Map for Chittagong City Area, Bangladesh
- Hamzarbag Earthquake (1997), Chittagong
- Rangamati Earthquake (2003), Chittagong
- NEWS BULLETIN, July 30, 2007 : Sharp Survey on the 28 July 2007 Earthquake near Rangamati.
- Earthquake Field Intensity Measuring Device at EERC, CUET.
Bureau of Research, Testing & Consultancy
For consultation and research the expertise at the university, its teachers and the laboratory facilities are available to other organizations of the country. A separate institution - Bureau of Research, Testing and Consultation (BRTC) - has been formed to oversee these activities. Postgraduate research works are now among the primary functions of the university. All the departments carry out their own research programs. The faculties undertake pioneering works in various fields - from renewable energy to GIS. The university being the home of highly trained man power, expert services are given through this bureau, causing a fourfold enrichment - enrichment of the nation from the expert services, enrichment of the university, enrichment of the staff and enriched teaching and research from the knowledge acquired through The Bureau of Research, Testing and Consultation - BRTC - undertakes research, testing and consultation works in the field of engineering, architecture and planning as entrusted to them by private parties and by government and autonomous bodies in order to achieve following objectives:
- To stimulate engineering in the university.
- To develop close relations between the university and the industry within the country.
- To serve departments of the government in the field of engineering research.
- To put the profitable use of the research equipments now at hand in the university.
- To provide a basis for a future graduate study program.
- To provide an outlet for the capabilities of the staff.
CUET Language Learning Center
CUET has launched the foreign language learning center in January 2011. The center has an air-conditioned classroom equipped with all modern facilities including audio visual systems, multimedia projectors, computers etc. At present, Japanese and German language courses are offered here. In near future IELTS preparation course, English pronunciation course, and more language learning courses like French, Spanish etc will be available.
The first convocation of Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (CUET) was held on 8 April 2008. President Dr. Iazuddin Ahmed, also chancellor of the university, was scheduled to preside over the programme, while former chief adviser of the caretaker government Justice Muhammad Habibur Rahman was present as the convocation speaker. Education and Commerce Adviser Dr. Hossain Zillur Rahman was also present on the occasion as the special guest.
“Now we need the best use of existing resources in a planned way to make the country prosperous," the President said while addressing the first convocation of Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (CUET). The president noted that as engineers are the architects of development, the road map of development comes out from their talents, souls and creative thinking. “Therefore, there must be clear reflection of foresight in their thinking, spirit and mind," he said. He hoped that CUET would continue its all-out efforts to implement the holy purpose of education. The president called upon students to uphold the dignity of the degree they were conferred upon through their service, honesty, integrity and patriotism keeping in mind that the people have a lot of contribution to attaining their degrees. He welcomed the initiatives of CUET to open new departments, including Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering and Mining Engineering, at the university in keeping pace with the new era of technology.
A total of 1,403 graduates and post-graduates from four departments received certificates in the convocation. Of them, 1,398 graduates were from Civil Engineering, Mechanical and Electrical and Electronics departments of 1996 to 2002 sessions and Computer Science and Engineering Department graduates of 1998 to 2002 sessions. Besides this, seven students—Mohammad Mahmudur Rahman Bhuiyan, Mohammad Razu Ahmed, Mohammad Shafiul Azam Hawlader, ASM Kayes, Mohammad Akmal Haider, Mohammad Ahsan Uddin Chowdhury and Mohammad Asadul Islam from 1999-2000 to 2005-2006 sessions was awarded gold medals for their outstanding academic feats in the convocation.
Recent activities and achievements
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering successfully celebrated its 10th anniversary by organizing a program titled TELE TALK CUET ICT Fête-09. The occasion comprised the events: National Collegiate Programming Contest (CUET-NCPC), Hardware and Software Project Showcasing, Career Counseling, Seminar on ICT, Gaming Contest, a grand reunion with cultural program.
- BSME 3rd national conference successfully completed
- The project of RESCUE ROBOT SERIES-1(RRS-1)(model-BCA5I)(earthquake) successfully completed.
- ^ http://www.varsityadmission.com/General/Campus_News/?University_ID=124
- ^ http://www.newuniversitylist.com/2011/05/about-chittagong-university-of.html
- ^ http://www.4icu.org/reviews/204.htm
- ^ http://www.bangladeshdir.com/broken/chittagong_university_of_engineering___technology_cuet.html
- ^ http://bangladesh-next.com/education/chittagong-university-of-engineering-and-technologycuet/
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)
- Khulna University of Engineering and Technology (KUET)
- Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (RUET)
- Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology (DUET)
- Official CUET website
- Website of CUET News
- Website of Robo Mechatronics Association
- CUET current student and ALUMNI website
- CUET online Alumni community
- CUET Alumi Association, CANADA
- Institute of Energy Technology, CUET
- CUET Computer Science and Engineering Student and Alumni Society
- Earthquake Engineering Research Center
- Center for Information and Communication technology
- Bureau of Research, Testing and Consultation
- Mechatronics Group, Bangladesh
- First Convocation of CUET
- (official website of ASRR0)
- Blog of CSE's 2008 Batch
- (Only Bengali Blog of CUET)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.