- List of The Bill characters
The Bill is a long-running British television police procedural television series, named after a slang term for the police. The characters are all police officers or civilian staff at the fictional Sun Hill police station in London.
Character Index: List by Rank A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z References Rank Name Actor Last Appearance Deputy Assistant Commissioner Georgia Hobbs Kazia Pelka 1 March 2007 Commander Lisa Kennedy Julie Graham 8 April 2010 Ch Supt Ian Barratt John McArdle 3 November 2005 Ch Supt Charles Brownlow Peter Ellis 2 May 2002 Ch Supt Guy Mannion Nick Miles 26 October 2001 Ch Supt Adam Okaro Cyril Nri 14 September 2006 Supt John Heaton Daniel Flynn 16 July 2009 Supt Tom Chandler Steven Hartley 16 October 2002 Supt Jack Meadows Simon Rouse 31 August 2010 Supt Amanda Prosser Serena Gordon 22 September 2005 Ch Insp/ Acting Supt Derek Conway Ben Roberts 28 March 2002 Ch Insp Philip Cato Philip Whitchurch 3 March 1995 Ch Insp Paul Stritch Mark Spalding 28 March 1995 DCI Frank Burnside Christopher Ellison 4 September 1993 DCI Kim Reid Carolyn Pickles 13 February 1992 DCI Rowanne Morell Tanya Franks 7 December 2005 DCI Gordon Wray Clive Wood 20 December 1990 DI Alex Cullen Ged Simmons 20 August 2002 DI Chris Deakin Shaun Scott 31 October 2000 DI Roy Galloway John Salthouse 17 December 1987 DI Harry Haines Gary Whelan 31 December 1993 DI Sally Johnson Jaye Griffiths 27 January 1995 DI Neil Manson Andrew Lancel 31 August 2010 DI Claire Stanton Clara Salaman 31 October 2000 DI Samantha Nixon Lisa Maxwell 18 June 2009 Insp Christine Frazer Barbara Thorn 11 January 1990 Insp Brian Kite Simon Slater 7 December 1987 Insp Andrew Monroe Colin Tarrant 16 April 2002 Insp Dale Smith Alex Walkinshaw 31 August 2010 Insp Gina Gold Roberta Taylor 2 October 2008 Insp Rachel Weston Claire Goose 16 June 2009 Sgt Matthew Boyden Tony O'Callaghan 1 May 2003 Sgt Stuart Lamont Steve Morley Sgt Joseph Corrie Roland Oliver 18 July 1991 Sgt Bob Cryer Eric Richard 24 April 2001 Sgt Craig Gilmore Hywel Simons 6 February 2003 Sgt Jane Kendall Liz Crowther Sgt John Maitland Sam Miller 25 May 1993 Sgt Tom Penny Roger Leach 13 December 1990 Sgt Alec Peters Larry Dann 27 February 1992 Sgt Ray Steele Robert Perkins 11 April 1996 Sgt June Ackland Trudie Goodwin 8 March 2007 Sgt Callum Stone Sam Callis 31 August 2010 Sgt Jo Masters Sally Rogers 31 August 2010 Sgt Nikki Wright Gillian Taylforth 31 August 2008 Sgt Diane Noble Kaye Wragg 30 April 2009 DS Don Beech Bill Murray 31 October 2000 DS John Boulton Russell Boulter 7 October 2000 DS Jim Carver Mark Wingett 24 February 2005 DS Geoff Daly Ray Ashcroft 31 October 2000 DS Ramani DeCosta Thusitha Jayasundera 23 February 2006 DS Max Carter Christopher Fox 31 August 2010 DS Stevie Moss Lucy Speed 31 August 2010 DS Phil Hunter Scott Maslen 17 October 2007 DS Debbie McAllister Natalie Roles 10 November 2004 DS Jo Morgan Mary Jo Randle 12 October 1995 DS Danny Pearce Martin Marquez 21 September 1995 DS Ted Roach Tony Scannell 15 May 1993 DS Vik Singh Raji James 4 April 2002 DS Stuart Turner Doug Rao 16 July 2009 CSE Lorna Hart Siobhan Redmond CSE. Eddie Olosunje Jason Barnett 31 August 2010 CPS Lawyer Jonathan Fox Larry Lamb CPS Lawyer Matt Hinckley Mark Dexter 3 May 2007 CAD Officer Dean McVerry Luke Hamill PC Polly Page Lisa Geoghan 8 April 2004 SRO Roberta Cryer Moya Brady 31 December 2003 SRO Julian Tavell Nick Patrick SRO Marilyn Chambers Vickie Gates 24 February 2005 PCSO Colin Fairfax Tim Steed CSP Rachel Inns Amanda Abbington 2 August 2007 DoPA Mia Perry Jo Anne Knowles 14 June 2007 DRO Rochelle Barratt Anna Acton 31 January 2005 StCh. Supt. Marion Susan Majorlier PC. Leon Taylor Dominic Power 31 August 2010 PC. Roger Valentine John Bowler 31 August 2010 PC. Mel Ryder Rhea Bailey 31 August 2010 PC. Kirsty Knight Sarah Manners 31 August 2010 PC. Ben Gayle Michar Balfour 31 August 2010 PC Nate Roberts Ben Richards 10 August 2010 PC Sally Armstrong Ali Bastian 17 December 2009 PC Timothy Able Mark Haddigan 1 March 1990 PC Jamila Blake Lolita Chakrabarti 28 January 1999 PC Adam Bostock Carl Brincat 6 September 1994 PC Cathy Bradford Connie Hyde 15 January 2004 PC Ruby Buxton Nicola Alexis PC Dan Casper Chris Jarvis 16 August 2007 PC Roz Clarke Holly Davidson 11 November 2001 PC Norika Datta Seeta Indrani PC Claire Brind Kelly Lawrence 28 December 1989 PC Andrea Dunbar Natalie J. Robb 24 February 2005 PC Francis "Taffy" Edwards Colin Blumenau 11 January 1990 PC Suzanne Ford Vicky Gee-Dare 7 November 1991 PC Rosie Fox Caroline Catz 2 April 2000 PC Millie Brown Clare Foster 29 December 2009 PC Robin Frank Ashley Gunstock 11 July 1989 PC Delia French Natasha Williams 26 March 1992 PC George Garfield Huw Higginson 14 October 1999 PC Gabriel Kent Todd Carty 6 October 2005 PC Arun Ghir Abhin Galeya 19 March 2009 PC Beth Green Louisa Lytton 18 March 2009 PC Vicky Hagen Samantha Robson 26 October 2001 PC Sam Harker Matthew Crompton 18 April 2002 PC Donna Harris Louise Harrison 27 February 1996 PC Lewis Hardy Aml Ameen 19 July 2007 PC Malcolm Haynes Eamonn Walker 22 August 1989 PC Honey Harman Kim Tiddy PC Ben Hayward Ben Peyton 16 April 2002 PC Yvonne Hemmingway Michele Austin 15 November 2006 PC Steve Hunter James Lloyd PC Reg Hollis Jeff Stewart 12 March 2008 PC Mike Jarvis Stephen Beckett PC Leela Kapoor Seema Bowri 26 September 2007 PC Debbie Keane Andrea Mason) 22 September 1998 PC Emma Keane Melanie Gutteridge 1 May 2008 PC Nick Klein René Zagger 8 April 2004 PC Dave Litten Gary Olsen 22 January 1985 PC Steve Loxton Tom Butcher 14 November 1997 PC Abe Lyttleton Ronnie Cush 10 February 1986 PC Cathy Marshall Lynne Miller 19 January 1996 PC Garry McCann Clive Wedderburn PC Ken Melvin Mark Powley 22 May 1990 PC Sheelagh Murphy Bernie Nolan 11 October 2005 PC Pete Muswell Ralph Brown 10 February 1986 PC Gemma Osbourne Jane Danson 21 May 2003 PC Danesh Patel Sonesh Sira 23 November 1987 PC Lance Powell Ofo Uhiara PC Dave Quinnan Andrew Paul 27 February 2002 PC Pete Ramsey Nick Reding 25 July 1989 PC Cass Rickman Suzanne Maddock 12 December 2002 PC Billy Rowan Ben Lee 5 July 2007 PC Eddie Stantini Michael Higgs PC Nick Shaw Chris Walker 7 December 1987 PC Nick Slater Alan Westaway 31 October 1997 PC Tony 'Yorkie' Smith Robert Hudson PC Ron Smollet Nick Stringer PC Tony Stamp Graham Cole 5 November 2009 PC Barry Stringer Jonathan Dow 15 June 1993 PC Cameron Tait Daniel MacPherson 22 July 2004 PC Des Taviner Paul Usher 17 March 2004 PC Richard Turnham Chris Humphreys 10 April 1990 PC Di Worrell Jane Wall 16 April 2002 PC Phil Young Colin Alldridge PC Kerry Young Beth Cordingly 21 December 2004 PC Laura Bryant Melanie Kilburn 25 May 2006 SC Terry Knowles Alex Avery 3 January 2002 DC Ken Drummond Russell Floyd 23 February 2005 DC Juliet Becker Rae Baker 30 October 2003 DC Gary Best Ciaran Griffiths 20 July 2005 DC Suzi Croft Kerry Peers 24 February 1998 DC Danny Glaze Karl Collins 8 October 2003 DC Kerry Holmes Joy Brook 31 October 2000 DC Brandon Kane Pal Aron 15 January 2004 DC Duncan Lennox George Rossi 2 January 2003 DC Jacob Banks Patrick Robinson 31 August 2010 DC Alfred "Tosh" Lines Kevin Lloyd 9 June 1998 DC Grace Dasari Amita Dhiri 31 August 2010 DC Terry Perkins Bruce Byron 31 August 2010 DC Mickey Webb Chris Simmons 31 August 2010 DC Viv Martella Nula Conwell 26 March 1993 DC Zain Nadir TJ Ramini 20 December 2007 DC Tom Proctor Gregory Donaldson DC Liz Rawton Libby Davison 21 December 1999 DC Paul Riley Gary Grant 16 April 2002 DC Eva Sharpe Diane Parish 10 March 2004 DC Will Fletcher Gary Lucy 7 January 2010 DC Suzie Sim Wendy Kweh 19 July 2006 DC Rod Skase Iain Fletcher 17 February 2000 DC Rob Thatcher Brian Bovell 29 December 2004 DC Alan Woods Tom Cotcher 1 August 1996 DC Tom Baker Vic Gallucci
Notable cast members
This is a list of the most notable characters to have appeared on The Bill, being those who have been in the series for some considerable time and have had a significant impact on the series.
- Billy Murray appeared in The Bill for 5 years playing DS Don Beech. The character was a corrupt police officer, notably having murdered DS John Boulton, forcing Beech to go on the run. Since leaving The Bill, Murray's career has included a stint on EastEnders as Johnny Allen and two films, Rollin' With The Nines and Rise of the Footsoldier. The character also spawned Beech on the Run and Beech is Back.
- Russell Boulter played DS John Boulton from 1995 to 2000, the character having first appeared as a DC in 1994. The character had a reputation for being a hard man, and was once suspected of deliberately killing a suspect, although he was cleared. He later had a relationship with DS Claire Stanton, who was an anti-corruption officer targeting Don Beech. John was ultimately murdered by Beech, leading to the collapse of CID and the removal of Charles Brownlow as Superintendent.
- Tony O'Callaghan played Sergeant Matt Boyden for 12 years from 1991–2003. Boyden was shot dead by his daughter's boyfriend so she can profit from insurance money to fund her drug habit. Tony O'Callaghan has also appeared in The Magnificent Evans, Family Affairs, Holby City, Doctors and Shameless.
- Peter Ellis played Chief Superintendent Charles Brownlow for over 16 years from the start of the series in 1984 to 2000, when the character tendered his resignation in light of the Don Beech scandal. In 1983, Ellis appeared in the play Trafford Tanzi opposite Toyah Wilcox.
- Christopher Ellison played DCI Frank Burnside for 5 years. Since leaving The Bill, Ellison has enjoyed a guest stint as Len Harker in EastEnders. Ellis has also appeared in Minder, Casualty, Judge John Deed and voiced a Doctor Who audio adventure. The character spawned spin off Burnside.
- Mark Wingett played DS Jim Carver from 1983 to 2005. After building up gambling debts, the character left Sun Hill. Since leaving, Wingett has also appeared in EastEnders, the British version of American Chopper and Spartacus.
- Eric Richard played Sergeant Bob Cryer from 1984–2001, the character leaving when he was accidentally shot by then PC Dale Smith. Prior to appearing in The Bill, Richard appeared in a number of TV programmes including Open All Hours, Made In Britain and Shoestring.
- Scott Maslen played DS Phil Hunter from 2002–07, the character was written out with a transfer to Special Operations. Since leaving The Bill, Maslen has played the character of Jack Branning in EastEnders.
- Todd Carty played PC Gabriel Kent from 2003–05, the character left when his false identity was uncovered. As well as The Bill, Carty has appeared in a number of television series including EastEnders, Grange Hill, Heartbeat and Holby City.
- Kevin Lloyd played DC Tosh Lines from 1988–98, the character was written out as having accepted a position in the Coroner's Office after the actor was sacked for turning up drunk. The actor died a week after his dismissal.
- Andrew Paul played PC Dave Quinnan from 1989–2002 when the character left to transfer to SO10. Since leaving The Bill, Paul has enjoyed a brief stint on EastEnders as Maxwell Moon and on Where The Heart Is until the programme was axed in 2006.
- Lisa Geoghan played PC Polly Page from 1992 to 2004. After assisting a friend's suicide, she was tried for murder and returned to Sun Hill as a Civilian CAD Officer, a role which she ultimately resigned from.
- Jeff Stewart played PC Reg Hollis from 1984–2008. In 2008, the character was written out with the character resigning after being traumatised by the death of colleagues in a bomb blast. After learning of his axing from the show, Stewart attempted suicide on set by slashing his wrists. Stewart has not been on television since but has starred in the Miike Snow video, Black & Blue.
- Lisa Maxwell played DI Samantha Nixon from 2002–09 until the character transferred to the child exploitation unit. In April 2009, she made an appearance, discussing The Bill, on The Paul O'Grady Show and now appears on Loose Women.
- Roberta Taylor played Inspector Gina Gold from 2002–08, the character leaving due to the stress of the job. Taylor has since only appeared as a guest panelist on Loose Women, The Wright Stuff and The Paul O'Grady Show.
- Graham Cole played PC Tony Stamp from 1984–2009. The character was written out as part of the 2009 revamp after producers felt that he didn't fit the new show. Cole's last episode was shown on November 5, 2009 and his departure means The Bill has no original characters remaining.
- Trudie Goodwin played Sergeant June Ackland from 1983 to 2007, appearing first in Woodentop. The character retired in 2007 after her on-screen relationship with DC Jim Carver came to an abrupt end. When Goodwin left The Bill in 2007 she was not only the longest serving cast member in the history of The Bill, but also held the world record for the longest time an actor has portrayed a police character.
- Alex Walkinshaw has played Inspector Dale "Smithy" Smith since 1999. Walkinshaw made three "one off" appearances in the series prior to becoming a regular cast member and has made appearances in several other British soaps and serial dramas.
- Simon Rouse has played Superintendent Jack Meadows since 1990, though the character only became a regular role in 1992. Aside from The Bill, Rouse has had small appearances in a number of other British television series including Robin of Sherwood, The Professionals, Casualty, and Minder.
- Chris Simmons played DC Mickey Webb from 2000 to 2010. He appeared twice on the show playing different roles, most notably as a criminal in 1999, before joining the cast as a regular in the following year. He left the series temporarily in 2003, as the culmination of a storyline where his character was raped. He made several guest appearances before returning as a regular in 2005.
This is a list of some of the most notable actors to have made brief or cameo appearances in The Bill.
- Keira Knightley played child burglar Sheena Rose in a 1995 episode entitled "Swan Song".
- David Tennant played kidnapper Steven Clemens in a 1995 episode of The Bill called "Deadline".
- Paul O'Grady - credited as "Paul Savage" - played transvestite Roxanne in three episodes of The Bill between 1988 and 1990.
- Sean Bean played robber Horace Clark in a 1984 episode of The Bill entitled "Long Odds"
- Ralf Little played Tommy Lawson in the 2001 episodes Judas Kiss, Shout, Aftershock and Night Games.
- Emma Bunton played the role of Janice in the 1993 episode Missionary Work.
- Catherine Tate appeared in the 1993 episode Give and Take and 1994 instalment Fly on the Wall.
- James MacAvoy played a Scottish runaway named Gavin in a 1997 episode entitled Rent.
- Loraine Kelly appeared as herself in a 2003 episode when PC Cathy Bradford appeared on her GMTV show.
- ^ a b "DS Don Beech (Character)". Internet movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0060761/. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- ^ "Character - Johnny Allen". EastEnders. BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/characters_cast/characters/character_johnny_a.shtml. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- ^ "Billy Murray (I)". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0614854/. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- ^ "DS John Boulton (Character)". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0084306/. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- ^ "Sgt. Matthew Boyden (Character)". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0031677/. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- ^ "The Bill Bios". http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/boyden.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Tony O'Callaghan (I)". internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0639974/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Chief Supt. Brownlow (Character)". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0030166/. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- ^ "The Bill Bios". http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/brownlow.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- ^ "Other Plays: 1980-1989". Rob Wilton Theatricalia. http://www.phyllis.demon.co.uk/theatricalia/08plays/plays8089.htm. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- ^ "D.I. Burnside (Character)". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0030161/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Christopher Ellison". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0255177/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "DC Jim Carver (Character)". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0032393/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "DS Jim Carver". The Bill Bios. http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/carver.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Eric Richard (I)". Internet movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0723793/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Sergeant Bob Cryer". The Bill Bios. http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/cryer.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "DS Phil Hunter". The Bill Bios. http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/hunter.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Scott Maslen". London: BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/characters_cast/cast/cast_scott_m.shtml. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "PC Gabriel Kent". The Bill Bios. http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/characters_cast/cast/cast_scott_m.shtml. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Todd Carty". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0142227/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "DC 'Tosh' Lines". The Bill Bios. http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/lines.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ Hayward, Anthony (1998-05-04). "Obituary: Kevin Lloyd". Britain: The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/obituary-kevin-lloyd-1161483.html. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- ^ "PC Dave Quinnnan". The Bill Bios. http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/quinnan.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Andrew Paul (I)". Internet movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0666753/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "PC Reg Hollis". The Bill Bios. http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/hollis.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Sacked Bill Star Reassures Fans". London: British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). 11.01.08. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7183372.stm. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- ^ "Jeff Stewert starring in Miike Snow video". London: The Sun. 18 September 2009. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2643402/Ex-Bill-star-Jeff-Stewart-starring-in-Miike-Snow-video.html. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- ^ "DI Samantha Nixon". The Bill Bios. http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/nixon.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ Kilkelly, Daniel (April 18, 2009). "Bill star reveals baby heartache". London: Digital Spy. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s20/thebill/news/a153144/bill-star-reveals-baby-heartache.html. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Roberta Taylor". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0853085/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Inspector Gina gold". The Bill Bios. http://www.thebillbios.co.uk/gold.htm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "PC Tony Stamp to leave The Bill". London: BBC News. 5 June 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8085025.stm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ Deans, Jason (6 November 2009). "The Bill collars 4m for stalwart's low key farewell". London: The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/nov/06/the-bill-graham-cole-tv-ratings. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "My arresting career". Canberra: The Age. March 17, 2005. http://www.theage.com.au/news/TV--Radio/My-arresting-career/2005/03/16/1110649212709.html. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Cops and Clobber". United Kingdom: The Guardian. 08.03.07. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/mar/08/broadcasting.tvandradio. Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- ^ "In pictures: The Bill's june Ackland". London: BBC News. 9 March 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/in_pictures/6430645.stm. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Alex Walkinshaw". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908340/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "Simon Rouse". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0745869/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "My Yorkshire: Simon Rouse". York: Yorkshire Post. 9 June 2009. http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/My-Yorkshire-Simon-Rouse.5348171.jp. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ Graham, Alison (5 November 2008). "The Bill's DCI Jack Meadows". London: Radio Times. http://www.radiotimes.com/blogs/462-the-bill-dci-jack-meadows/. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- ^ "DC Mickey Webb (Character)". Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0031767/. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- ^ "The Bill's famous faces", MSN News, accessed 31/08/2010
The Bill CharactersDale Smith • Callum Stone • Gabriel Kent • A–D • E–L • M–P • Q–Z Notable storylines"Woodentop" • Sun Hill Explosion 1988 • The Don Beech Scandal • 2002 Sun Hill Fire • 2005 Sun Hill Fire • 2007 Sun Hill Siege • 2008 Sun Hill Bombings • "Proof of Life" • "Respect" Spin-offs"Burnside" • "Beech is Back" • "Murder Investigation Team" Series Production staff Related articlesCategories:
- The Bill
- Lists of The Bill characters
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.