- Newell Township, Vermilion County, Illinois
Newell Township — Township — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Illinois County Vermilion Created 1851 Area - Total 50.76 sq mi (131.46 km2) - Land 50.03 sq mi (129.57 km2) - Water 0.73 sq mi (1.89 km2) 1.44% Elevation 692 ft (211 m) Population (2000) - Total 13,835 - Density 276.5/sq mi (106.8/km2) Time zone CST (UTC-6) - Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) GNIS feature ID 0429435
The first sale land in this area was in 1824 to Obadiah Le Neve, who settled here just before Christmas of that year. It was not until 1851 that the county was divided up into its first eight townships, and Newell Township was one of those. It was named for Squire James Newell, the first Justice of the Peace for the area. 
Newell Township covers an area of 50.76 square miles (131.5 km2); of this, 0.73 square miles (1.9 km2) or 1.44 percent is water. The township contains much of Lake Vermilion.
Cities and towns
- West Newell
- Kent Township, Warren County, Indiana (east)
- Steuben Township, Warren County, Indiana (east)
- Mound Township, Warren County, Indiana (southeast)
- Danville Township (south)
- Blount Township (west)
- South Ross Township (northwest)
The township contains these cemeteries: Bryley, Farmers Chapel, Gordon, Huffman, Lamb, Leonard, Rose, Springhill, Sunset Memorial and Walnut Corner.
- U.S. Route 136
- Illinois State Route 1
Airports and landing strips
- ^ United States Census Bureau American FactFinder
- ^ Stapp, Katherine; W. I. Bowman (1968). History Under Our Feet: The Story of Vermilion County, Illinois. Danville, Illinois: Interstate Printers and Publishers, Inc.. pp. 50.
Municipalities and communities of Vermilion County, Illinois County seat: Danville Cities Villages Townships Unincorporated
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.