- McKendree Township, Vermilion County, Illinois
McKendree Township — Township — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Illinois County Vermilion Created 1912 Area – Total 29.33 sq mi (75.96 km2) – Land 29.2 sq mi (75.63 km2) – Water 0.13 sq mi (0.33 km2) 0.43% Elevation 673 ft (205 m) Population (2000) – Total 743 – Density 25.4/sq mi (9.8/km2) Time zone CST (UTC-6) – Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) GNIS feature ID 0429301
This area was originally part of Georgetown Township, but growing dissatisfaction with a lack of development in that portion of the township, compared with the Georgetown and Westville areas, led to a petition for creation of a new township in 1912. The name came from McKendree Methodist Church.
McKendree Township covers an area of 29.33 square miles (76.0 km2); of this, 0.13 square miles (0.34 km2) or 0.43 percent is water. The stream of White Branch runs through this township.
- Danville Township (north)
- Highland Township, Vermillion County, Indiana (northeast)
- Eugene Township, Vermillion County, Indiana (southeast)
- Love Township (south)
- Georgetown Township (west)
The township contains eight cemeteries: Bock, Elwood Church, Locket, Lorance, McKendree, Michael, Niccum and North Fork.
- ^ United States Census Bureau American FactFinder
- ^ Stapp, Katherine; W. I. Bowman (1968). History Under Our Feet: The Story of Vermilion County, Illinois. Danville, Illinois: Interstate Printers and Publishers, Inc.. pp. p. 27.
Municipalities and communities of Vermilion County, Illinois Cities Villages Townships Unincorporated
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.