- Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Farrar, Straus and Giroux Founded 1946 Founder John C. Farrar
Roger W. Straus, Jr.
Country of origin United States Headquarters location New York, New York Key people Jonathan Galassi Imprints Faber and Faber (US), Hill & Wang, North Point, Sarah Crichton Official website Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Farrar, Straus and Giroux is an American book publishing company, founded in 1946 by Roger W. Straus, Jr. and John C. Farrar. Known primarily as Farrar, Straus in its first decade of existence, the company was renamed several times, including Farrar, Straus and Young and Farrar, Straus and Cudahy and finally to its current name in 1964, after hiring Robert Giroux from rival Harcourt, Brace, who brought with him such important writers as T. S. Eliot and Flannery O'Connor. Straus continued to run the company for twenty years after his partner Farrar died, until 1993 when he sold a majority interest of the company to the privately owned German publishing conglomerate Georg von Holtzbrinck Publishing Group. Nevertheless, FSG is considered one of the last of the old-fashioned[vague] literary publishers and is widely celebrated for its renowned lines of literary fiction, narrative nonfiction, poetry, and children's literature.[Third-party source needed]
Jonathan Galassi is president and publisher. Andrew Mandel joined in 2004 as deputy publisher. Eric Chinski is editor-in-chief. In 2008, Mitzi Angel came from Fourth Estate in the UK to be publisher of the Faber and Faber Inc. imprint. Other notable editors include Courtney Hodell, Hill & Wang publisher Thomas LeBien, Paul Elie, Sean McDonald, and Sarah Crichton (publisher of her own eponymous imprint).
- Faber and Faber Inc. publishes a backlist of drama and books on the arts, entertainment, music, pop culture, cultural criticism, and the media. Its authors include David Auburn, Margaret Edson, Doug Wright, Richard Greenberg, Tom Stoppard, David Hare, Neil LaBute, Peter Conrad, Martin Eisenstadt and Courtney Love.
- Hill and Wang publishes books of academic interest and specializes in history. Its authors include Roland Barthes, William Cronon, Langston Hughes, and Elie Wiesel.
- Sarah Crichton Books publishes books with a slightly commercial bent. The imprint launched with Cathleen Falsani's The God Factor in 2006. Ishmael Beah's A Long Way Gone was a bestseller and Starbucks featured book in 2007.
- North Point Press publishes literary nonfiction with an emphasis on natural history, travel, ecology, music, food, and cultural criticism. Its authors include Peter Matthiessen, Beryl Markham, A. J. Liebling, Margaret Visser, Wendell Berry, and M. F. K. Fisher.
Books for Young Readers
FSG Books for Young Readers publishes National Book Award winners Madeleine L'Engle (1980), William Steig (1983), Louis Sachar (1998), and Polly Horvath (2003). Books for Young Readers also publishes Natalie Babbitt, Roald Dahl, Jack Gantos, George Selden, Uri Shulevitz, and Peter Sis.
Winners of the Nobel Prize in Literature
Winners of the Nobel Peace Prize
Winners of the Pulitzer Prize
Winners of the National Book Award
- ^ http://us.macmillan.com/FSG.aspx
- ^ Hill and Wang
- ^ http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-21687906_ITM
- ^ Norman Angell, After All: The Autobiography of Norman Angell (London: Hamish Hamilton, 1951; rpt. Farrar, Straus and Young, 1952).
- ^ Elie Wiesel, Night (Hill & Wang, 1958; rpt. 2006).
- Farrar, Straus and Giroux
- Farrar, Straus and Giroux on Twitter
- Farrar, Straus and Giroux Books for Young Readers
- Work in Progress, an Online Magazine by Farrar, Straus and Giroux
- Farrar, Straus and Giroux Collection of Isaac Bashevis Singer Papers at the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin
- Farrar, Strauss & Geroux, Inc. Records, 1899-2003 Manuscripts and Archives Division, New York Public Library.
HoltzbrinckPublishersNewspapers and MagazinesDie Zeit (50%) · Main-Post · Lausitzer Rundschau · Main-Post · Saarbrücker Zeitung · Südkurier · Trierischer Volksfreund · Spotlight Verlag · Lebensmittel Praxis Verlag · Prognos MacmillanUnited StatesTradeEducationChildren'sFSG Books for Young Readers · Feiwel and Friends · Holt Books for Young Readers · Kingfisher · Roaring Brook · Priddy · Square FishUnited KingdomPan MacmillanPalgrave MacmillanContemporary Political Theory · European Journal of Information Systems · European Political Science · International Abstracts in Operations Research · Journal of International Business Studies · Journal of the Operational Research Society · Journal of Public Health Policy · Journal of Simulation · Knowledge Management Research & Practice · OR Insight · Pink Book · Social TrendsMacmillan Education Nature Publishing
GroupNatureNature · Nature Biotechnology · Nature Cell Biology · Nature Chemical Biology · Nature Communications · Nature Genetics · Nature Geoscience · Nature Immunology · Nature Materials · Nature Medicine · Nature Methods · Nature Nanotechnology · Nature Neuroscience · Nature Photonics · Nature Physics · Nature Chemistry · Nature Structural & Molecular BiologyNature Reviews
Life SciencesNature Reviews
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.