- Nature Publishing Group
Nature Publishing Group Type Private Founded 1869 (Nature Journal) Headquarters 4 Crinan Street, London, United Kingdom Products Nature, Nature Biotechnology, Nature Medicine Employees >800 Parent Macmillan Publishers Ltd Website nature.com/npg
Nature Publishing Group (NPG) is an international publishing company that publishes academic journals, online databases, and services across the life, physical, chemical and applied sciences and clinical medicine. This includes Nature research journals and Nature Reviews journals (since 2000), and academic journals that are society owned publications.
NPG also publishes Scientific American in 16 languages, and this magazine is intended for the general public.
NPG is a division of Macmillan Publishers, which in turn is owned by the Georg von Holtzbrinck Publishing Group. NPG's flagship title is Nature, a weekly multidisciplinary journal first published in 1869.
The former Nature Clinical Practice series was rebranded and folded into the Nature Reviews series in April 2009. Other NPG services include Naturejobs, containing scientific career information, tools and jobs, the pre-print server Nature Precedings, Connotea (a free online reference management service for scientists), Scitable (a collaborative learning space for science), and Nature Network (a free social networking website for scientists). NPG has offices in London, New York City, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., Boston, Tokyo, Paris, Munich, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Gurgaon, Mexico City, and Basingstoke.
In most cases, the costs of NPG's publications are recovered via subscription to individuals and institutions. Over 40 journals allow their authors to publish open access articles, with the author paying a publication charge to the journal. The publisher also has several open access journals. Authors are also allowed to post accepted, unedited papers on their websites or the funding body's archives no earlier than 6 months after publication.
In June 2010, a letter outlining the University of California libraries' pricing challenges with NPG was distributed to university faculty by campus librarians with the support of the systemwide University Committee on Library and Scholarly Communication. The letter also described a potential boycott if the dispute was not resolved. In August 2010, a joint statement was released stating "Our two organizations have agreed to work together in the coming months to address our mutual short- and long-term challenges, including an exploration of potential new approaches and evolving publishing models."
Nature research journals
- Nature Biotechnology
- Nature Cell Biology
- Nature Chemical Biology
- Nature Chemistry
- Nature Climate Change
- Nature Communications (online only)
- Nature Genetics
- Nature Geoscience
- Nature Immunology
- Nature Materials
- Nature Medicine
- Nature Methods
- Nature Nanotechnology
- Nature Neuroscience
- Nature Photonics
- Nature Physics
- Nature Protocols (online only)
- Nature Structural & Molecular Biology
- Scientific Reports
Nature Reviews journals
- Nature Reviews Cancer
- Nature Reviews Drug Discovery
- Nature Reviews Genetics
- Nature Reviews Immunology
- Nature Reviews Microbiology
- Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology
- Nature Reviews Neuroscience
- Nature Reviews Cardiology (formerly Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine)
- Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology (formerly Nature Clinical Practice Oncology)
- Nature Reviews Endocrinology (formerly Nature Clinical Practice Endocrinology and Metabolism)
- Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology (formerly Nature Clinical Practice Gastroenterology and Hepatology)
- Nature Reviews Nephrology (formerly Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology)
- Nature Reviews Neurology (formerly Nature Clinical Practice Neurology)
- Nature Reviews Rheumatology (formerly Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatology)
- Nature Reviews Urology (formerly Nature Clinical Practice Urology)
Gateways and Databases
- Cell Migration Gateway
- Functional Glycomics Gateway
- Lipidomics Gateway
- Pathway Interaction Database
- Structural Genomics Knowledgebase
- Signaling Gateway
Nature.com Subject Pages
Other NPG publications
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- British Journal of Cancer
- Cell Research
- The EMBO Journal
- EMBO Reports
- European Journal of Human Genetics
- Journal of Human Genetics
- Molecular Systems Biology
- Modern Pathology
- Molecular Therapy
- ^ Work @ NPG, Nature Publishing Group.
- ^ "Nature Reviews goes clinical" (Press release). "Nature Publishing Group. 28 January 2009. http://www.nature.com/press_releases/ncp_rebrand.html. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- ^ License, Nature Publishing Group.
- ^ Howard, Jennifer (2010-06-08). "U. of California Tries Just Saying No to Rising Journal Costs". The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://chronicle.com/article/U-of-California-Tries-Just/65823/. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- ^ Statement from the University of California and Nature Publishing Group, 25 August 2010 retrieved on 15 March 2011
- Official website
- NPG Nature Asia-Pacific
- Nature Reviews
- Nature Network
- Interview with Timo Hannay, director of Web Publishing for Nature Publishing Group
HoltzbrinckPublishersNewspapers and MagazinesDie Zeit (50%) · Main-Post · Lausitzer Rundschau · Main-Post · Saarbrücker Zeitung · Südkurier · Trierischer Volksfreund · Spotlight Verlag · Lebensmittel Praxis Verlag · Prognos MacmillanUnited StatesTradeEducationChildren'sUnited KingdomPan MacmillanPalgrave MacmillanContemporary Political Theory · European Journal of Information Systems · European Political Science · International Abstracts in Operations Research · Journal of International Business Studies · Journal of the Operational Research Society · Journal of Public Health Policy · Journal of Simulation · Knowledge Management Research & Practice · OR Insight · Pink Book · Social TrendsMacmillan Education Nature Publishing
GroupNatureNature · Nature Biotechnology · Nature Cell Biology · Nature Chemical Biology · Nature Communications · Nature Genetics · Nature Geoscience · Nature Immunology · Nature Materials · Nature Medicine · Nature Methods · Nature Nanotechnology · Nature Neuroscience · Nature Photonics · Nature Physics · Nature Chemistry · Nature Structural & Molecular BiologyNature Reviews
Life SciencesNature Reviews
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.