Cheez-It Type Cracker Owner Sunshine Biscuits Introduced 1921 Previous owners Green & Green Company (1919)
Keebler Company (1996)
Cheez-It is an American snack food cracker manufactured by the Kellogg Company through the Sunshine Biscuits division. They are roughly 26 by 24 mm (1.0 by 0.95 inch) rectangular crackers made with wheat flour, vegetable oil, sharp yellow cheese, salt, and spices. There are a variety of related Cheez-It products, including Baby Swiss, White Cheddar, Parmesan & Garlic, Cheddar Jack, Pepper Jack, Italian Four Cheese, Colby, Reduced Trans Fat, Snack Mix (formerly called Party Mix), Snack Mix Double Cheese, Hot & Spicy (made with Tabasco), Duoz Sharp Cheddar & Parmesan, Duoz Smoked Cheddar & Monterey Jack, and the Cheez-It Big which is a larger cracker more suitable for garnishing or dipping.
According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office trademark records, the first "Cheez-It" Cheese Crackers were sold by Green & Green Company of Dayton, Ohio, in May 1921. After the Wall Street Crash of 1929, The Green & Green Company was acquired by The Sunshine Biscuit Company, founded in 1902 as the Loose-Wiles Biscuit Company. The Keebler Company acquired Sunshine in 1996, and Keebler was in turn acquired by Kellogg in 2001. Cheez-It crackers are still sold under the Sunshine label.
A former advertising slogan was "Get your own box" which was found on the backs of most boxes. One side also contained the so-called "Anatomy of a Cheez-It." In mid 2007, the boxes were changed to show a picture of a large wedge of cheese labeled "Actual Taste," while a Cheez-It is shown propping it up, labeled "Actual Size." The new slogan in place of "Get Your Own Box" is "Real cheese matters.", with Jim Cummings as the spokesperson in the television commercials.
- Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid)
- vegetable oil (cottonseed, palm, sunflower and/or soybean oil with TBHQ for freshness)
- skim milk cheese (skim milk, whey protein, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, annatto extract color)
- paprika oleoresin (for color)
- soy lecithin
Cheez-It crackers are kosher and vegetarian.
- ^ "Cheez-It® Baked Snack Crackers". Cheez-it.com. http://www.cheez-it.com/cgi-bin/brandpages/product.pl?company=145. Retrieved 2010-1-11.
- ^ "Cheez-Its - Candy you ate as a kid". Oldtimecandy.com. http://www.oldtimecandy.com/cheez-its.htm. Retrieved 2010-1-10.
- ^ a b "Kellogg’s – Cheez-It". .kelloggs.com. http://www2.kelloggs.com/ProductBrand.aspx?id=128. Retrieved 2010-1-11.
- ^ "Cheez-It Baked Snack Crackers - Crackers". Zeer.com. http://www.zeer.com/Food-Products/Cheez-It-Baked-Snack-Crackers/000016687. Retrieved 2010-1-11.
Kellogg Company CerealsAll-Bran · Apple Jacks · Bran Buds · Coco Pops/Cocoa Krispies · Corn Flakes · Corn Pops · Complete Wheat Bran Flakes · Country Store · Crispix · Cruncheroos · Crunchy Nut · Disney Hunny B's Honey-Graham, Disney Mickey's Magix · Eggo · Froot Loops · Frosted Flakes/Frosties · Frosted Mini-Wheats · Fruit 'n Fibre · Honey Loops · Honey Smacks · Just Right · Krave · Mini Swirlz · Mueslix · Nutri-Grain · Cracklin' Oat Bran · Product 19 · Raisin Bran · Raisin Wheats · Rice Krispies · Smorz · Special K · Start · Vector Cookies &
crackersAustin · Carr's · Cheez-It · Chips Deluxe · Famous Amos · Hydrox · Keebler · Mother's Cookies ·
brandsBear Naked · Eggo · Kashi · Gardenburger · Morningstar Farms · Nutri-Grain · Sunshine Biscuits
OtherSpecial K2O Protein Water · Pop-Tarts · Worthington · Yogos Rollers DiscontinuedBiGG MiXX · C-3PO's · Cocoa Hoots · Cinnamon Crunch Crispix · Cinnamon Mini-Buns · Krumbles · Pep · Puffa Puffa RiceCategories:
- 1921 introductions
- Brand name crackers
- Brand name snack foods
- Kellogg Company brands
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.