- Comparison of wiki software
The following tables compare general and technical information for a number of wiki software packages.
(and supports i18n)
Java SE/Java Flat File and File System
Oracle 10G RDB option
WebDAV for Attachments
TWiki Peter Thoeny October 1998 5.0.2 May 3, 2011 JosWiki  GPL Yes ISO8859-1, UTF-8 Yes Perl Flat-file, RCS, pluggable storage backend UseModWiki Clifford Adams January 22, 2000 1.0.5 August 28, 2009 AtisWiki Free GPL Yes Perl Flat-file WackoWiki Roman Ivanov March 2003 R4.3 March 20, 2011 WakkaWiki Free BSD Yes Yes PHP MySQL Wiki Server Apple Inc. comes with OS X Server Proprietary No Wikispaces Tangient LLC March 18, 2005  Proprietary No UTF-8 Yes PHP MySQL, MogileFS Wikiwig Steve Goldman (Formerly Starcrouz) July 20, 2004 R5.01 May 28, 2008 Wikiwig 4.x Free GPL Yes Yes PHP MySQL WikkaWiki Wikka Development Team May 16, 2004 1.3.1 March 31, 2011 WakkaWiki Free GPL Yes ISO8859-1 Yes PHP MySQL wiki, WikiWikiWeb Ward Cunningham 1995 Apple HyperCard see QuickWiki Perl XWiki Ludovic Dubost February 2004 3.2 October 11, 2011 Twiki Free LGPL Yes UTF-8 Yes Java PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Apache Derby, HSQLDB ZWiki Simon Michael November 5, 1999 0.61.0 October 28, 2008 Free GPL Yes UTF-8 Yes Python ZODB - Zope Object Database Creator First public release date Latest stable release Stable release date Predecessor Cost (USD) Software license Open source Encoding Multilingual Programming language Data backend
- ^ a b Licenses here are a summary, and are not taken to be complete statements of the licenses. Some packages may use libraries under different licenses.
- ^ Paid plans start at $17/month
- ^ Free Ver Available, Paid plans start at $25/month
- ^ Free (open source project or community or personal), $1200–8000 commercial, $600–4000 academic
- ^ Commercial, Academic, Community, Personal, Open Source Project
- ^ Atlassian Confluence Licensing FAQs("Do I get access to the source code?". http://www.atlassian.com/about/licensing/faq.jsp#source_code. )
- ^ Free & open-source edition, paid enterprise edition, and free and paid hosted versions offered.
- ^ a b c d e f g h quoted from Ikiwiki specifically ("http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikiwiki version 19:13, 29 January 2010". http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ikiwiki&oldid=340766261. Retrieved 2010-01-29. )
- ^ Version 1.0, see ikiwiki roadmap
- ^ ("Download page of ikiwiki". Ikiwiki.info. http://ikiwiki.info/download/. Retrieved 2010-01-29. ) asserts the latest source is in debian repository ("ikiwiki at debian packages". Packages.debian.org. http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/ikiwiki. Retrieved 2010-01-29. ) which gives the latest version number.
- ^ "ikiwiki feature "Use a Real RCS"". Ikiwiki.info. http://ikiwiki.info/features/#index1h2. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- ^ "ikiwiki Revision Control Systems". Ikiwiki.info. http://ikiwiki.info/rcs. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- ^ Instiki - Ruby License Instiki is distributed under the same terms as Ruby itself, per the Mirror.Easynet.be, Ruby license.
- ^ For internal collaboration and communities of practice: free for up to 5 users, additional users $59/user/year
- ^ including: MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, IBM DB2 and Microsoft SQL Server
- ^ Midgard-Project.org
- ^ Index of /releases/oddmuse – download.savannah.gnu.org
- ^ The HttpCharset option is set to UTF-8 by default
- ^ a b Free & Paid options available
- ^ Free and paid versions available.
- ^ For internal collaboration and knowledge management: SaaS & hosted pricing
- ^ user licence is included in Windows Server CAL
- ^ price for whole suite, including wiki system, ECM, social software, ...
- ^ Pricing varies. Available deployment options include: free open-source and VMware image downloads, hosted services and dedicated appliances.
- ^ Open-source and commercial licensing options
- ^ http://www.tiddlywiki.com/beta/
- ^ Free for personal or commercial use with up to 5 login accounts for contributors / editors / administrators and unlimited visitor access (no login required). Pricing starts at $3750 / year for 25 login accounts. Amazon EC2 hosting available.
- ^ Free download at twiki.org; twiki.net offers Certified TWiki Virtual Appliance with/without support, and paid hosting solutions
- ^ Foswiki mailing list - Foswiki on Wikipedia
Wiki software Public Private Corporate/Enterprise Education Intranet Personal Scientific/Technical/Mathematical BrainKeeper Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No CamelWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Central Desktop Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes codeBeamer Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Confluence Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes coWiki Yes Yes Yes MindTouch Deki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes DokuWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes EditMe Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes FlexWiki Yes Yes Yes Foswiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Instiki Yes Yes Yes Gitit Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Inbuilt support for LaTeX math; syntax highlighting for code blocks. JAMWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Jive SBS Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No JotSpot Yes Yes Yes JSPWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Juli Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes MediaWiki Yes Yes Yes Midgard Wiki Yes Yes Yes MoinMoin Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes MojoMojo Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Noösphere Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Latex input OddMuseWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes PBworks Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes PhpWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes PmWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes ProjectForum Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Qontext Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes SamePage Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes ScrewTurn Wiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes SharePoint Foundation Yes Yes SharePoint Server Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes SMW+ Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Socialtext Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Swiki Yes Yes Yes ThoughtFarmer Yes Yes TiddlyWiki Yes Yes TigerWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Traction TeamPage Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes TWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes UseModWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes WackoWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Wikispaces Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Wikiwig Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes WikkaWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes XWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes ZWiki Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Wiki software Public Private Corporate/Enterprise Education Intranet Personal Scientific/Technical/Mathematical
Platform Web-server required Other software required Installable to USB stick BrainKeeper NA - hosted None NA CamelWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Any supporting CGI Perl, MySQL or PostgreSQL Central Desktop NA - hosted None None codeBeamer Any OS that supports Java 1.5 and servlet 2.4 Tomcat included, or use your own servlet container. Java 1.5 Confluence Any OS that supports Java 1.4 and servlet 2.4 Tomcat included, or use your own servlet container. Java 1.4 coWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Apache with PHP MySQL, PHP MindTouch Deki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Apache, IIS6, IIS7, IIS8 Mono, MySQl, PHP DokuWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Should work on any web server with PHP PHP Yes FlexWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others IIS/Apache ASP.Net/Mono Gitit Cross platform Yes. Happstack; can also be used locally. LaTeX; Versioning system like Git, Darcs, or Mercurial No Instiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others None (built-in) Ruby Platform Web-server required Other software required JAMWiki Any OS that supports Java 1.5 and servlet 2.4 Any servlet 2.4-compliant application server Java 1.5 Jive SBS Java 1.5 + one of: Windows Server 2003 SP2, Linux (2.6 Kernel), Solaris 10 Tomcat, WebLogic, WebSphere MS SQL, Postgres, MySQL or Oracle JotSpot Linux, Unix, Windows & others None (built-in) VMware Player JSPWiki Any OS that supports Java 1.5 and servlet 2.4 any servlet 2.4-compliant web server Java 1.5 Juli Cross platform Not mandatory Ruby, Git Yes MediaWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Any web server that supports PHP 5.1+ MySQL, PHP5 Midgard Wiki Linux, Unix & others Apache with PHP MySQL, PHP MoinMoin Linux, Macs, Unix, Windows & others None for Desktop version Python Yes MojoMojo Linux, Macs, Unix, Windows, others None - builtin server suitable for desktop or production use SQL database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sqlite) OddMuseWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Any web server with cgi support Perl PhpWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Any Web-server with PHP PHP PmWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Any Web-server with PHP, can run without a web server. PHP Yes ProjectForum Windows, Mac OS X, Linux None (built-in) None Yes Qontext SAAS N/A No N/A SharePoint Foundation Windows Server IIS Optional SQL Server SharePoint Server Windows Server or SaaS IIS or SaaS Optional SQL Server SMW+ Linux Unix Windows & others Apache or IIS with PHP 5.0+ MySQL PHP5 Socialtext NA - hosted no, all required components included no, all required components included Platform Web-server required Other software required Swiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others None—installs own server. Can coexist with IIS and Apache by running on alternate port None ThoughtFarmer Windows & others MS-Windows Server 2003 or 2008 MS SQL Server 2005 or 2008 TiddlyWiki Windows & others. None Runs in regular browser Yes TigerWiki Linux, Unix & others Any Web-server with PHP PHP Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware Linux, Unix, Windows & others Apache with PHP PHP Yes Traction TeamPage Any OS capable of running Java 2 Virtual Machine None (Built-In) None TWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Any Web-server with cgi support. Web-server included in VMware appliance and TWiki for MS-Windows Personal Perl, RCS UseModWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Any web server with cgi support Perl WackoWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Apache v1.3.x (v2 recommended), IIS MySQL, PHP Wikispaces SaaS - hosted None None Wikiwig Linux, Unix, Windows & others Any with PHP MySQL, PHP WikkaWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Any Web-server with PHP MySQL/PHP XWiki Java Platform Any Java EE webserver Java Yes ZWiki Linux, Unix, Windows & others Zope Python (included with most Zope installs) Platform Web-server required Other software required Installable to USB stick
- ^ a b c d Page Access Control: Some wiki engines allow (optional) read/write access restriction to users or user groups on a per-page basis (e.g. through Access control lists).
- ^ a b c d Inline HTML Safe means that several features of HTML are restricted. This is better than Full, for security reasons. Users with complete access to HTML could, for example, create spoof forms to trick users.
- ^ a b c d User-customizable interface: Many items have administrator hand-editable templates. Even items which use hard-coded templates could still be modified if the source is available.
- ^ word/URL block (addon, auto-upd. database), URL-approval (option), encrypt e-mails (addon), nofollow, Captcha (addon)
- ^ Shulman, Eric. "AttachFilePluginInfo". TiddlyTools. http://www.tiddlytools.com/#AttachFilePluginInfo. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- ^ Documentation about Spam Protection for Tiki
- ^ IP address blacklist, content by regular expressions, excessive activities, scripted registration prevention (plugin), hidden e-mail addresses
- ^ HTML/XHTML with nested markup, or XOXO with collapsing or folding outlines
- ^ Calendars, Discussions, Spreadsheets, Templates
- ^ Block architecture, Calendars, Discussions, Database feature, Tasks and Milestones Blocks available
- ^ Enterprise level security, Integration with Issue Tracker / Document Manager / Continuous Integration, Open API, Tagging, E-Mail Notifications, Commercial support
- ^ Enterprise level security, Simple admin interface, Open Plug-in API, Tagging, E-Mail Notifications, Fully supported
- ^ Data saved hierarchic (web trees) and in XML, per-page threaded comments, comfortable installation wizard
- ^ Highly usable, stores in XML, SOA, API, enterprise arch and business focused, fully supported by MindTouch company website
- ^ Section Editing, XHTML-Compliant, nice tables, side-by-side diff, namespaces, Interwiki
- ^ Trivial to set up on any platform that supports Ruby. Supports inline HTML, Textile, Markdown, and RDoc.
- ^ Per-article discussion page, watchlist, searching, email notification (built in, but currently disabled on Wikipedia)
- ^ Enterprise level security, authentication, and authorization, Email notification, additional desktop edition, XML-RPC content synchronization, searching in attachments (v1.6+).
- ^ Hierarchical node structure and cascading permissions system allows for stewardship of topics. Version control and ability to do 3-way merge on conflict.
- ^ very easily extensible, themeable, easy setup of wiki farms
- ^ SideBars; Discussions; email notifications w/diffs; SSO integration capability; Statistics; PDF output; HTML slideshows; integrated modules for calendars, spreadsheets, audio chat, and more; fully UTF-8 compliant; Tagging.
- ^ The PmWiki markup rules are easily modifiable and replaceable by plug-ins, should a need for another wikimarkup family be demonstrated.
- ^ Highly sophisticated support for customization. Practically cameleon-like
- ^ Enterprise level security, authentication, and authorization, Email notification,Discussions,Tagging,WYSIWYG-like editor,Social tagging,minimal setup, cross-browser support
- ^ Extensive semantic features: ellaborate toolbox and GUIs for the easy authoring, retrieval, navigation and organization of semantic data. Collaborative ontology management and semantic data integration (integrate external heterogeneous data silos). Fine grained access rights to (non-)semantic data and content.
- ^ accessible through REST/SOAP APIs
- ^ Installs own webserver (Commanche) and can co-exist with IIS or Apache. AniAniWeb function provides owner control of granular access and creates access groups. Users tracked by email address.
- ^ Structured wiki, granular access controls, faceted browsing, revision control, full text search, email notification, photo albums
- ^ Single file, minimal setup, cross-browser
- ^ All minimal features that a wiki needs
- ^ ACLs, calendaring, charting, email notification, form handling and reporting, slideshow presentations, spreadsheet calculations and GRAPHS, mobile, GIS (MapServer), JGraphPad for drawings inside wikipages, 3d Browsing, Workspaces, Workflows, OpenOffice WYSIWYG editing of Tiki content, Multitiki installations
- ^ Enterprise level security, Multiple workspaces (tens to thousands) on same TeamPage server, Faceted permissioned search crossing workspaces using content or tag navigation, Page and Comment Moderation, Social tagging, Threaded discussion, Paragraph or page level comments, Microblogging with follow model, Extensible Personal Profile Pages, Live blogging, Document versioning and management via WebDAV, Page Name history to support complex refactoring, Mobile browsing / search / navigation / editing, E-Mail Newsletter, Flexible notification model (subscribe to page, comment thread, workspace, author for content or tag changes with email or Jabber notification), Reply to automatically generated email notification message to add comment to thread with automatic cleanup. Built-in usage metrics and interactive graphs, voting and star rating support. Google Web Toolkit (GWT) skin technology. Simple web based admin, Authenticate using LDAP or Active Directory (including LDAP queries for group definition, NTLM support for single signon, Optional Attivio Advanced Search module provides permission aware drill-down content navigation as well as wiki + attached document search, Java SDK (no charge for Java source and documentation), extensible SDL (Skin Definition Language), Fully supported
- ^ Revision control, ACLs for topics, tagging, blogging, calendaring, charting, global search & replace, email notification, form handling and reporting, platform to build wiki applications, graphing, slideshow presentations, 13 translations, plotting, multistyle diffs, advanced searching, spreadsheet calculations, WYSIWYG supports TML, available as a VMware appliance
- ^ WYSIWYG-like editor, ACLs, subpages, comments, files, email notification, cloning of pages, installation wizard...
- ^ Discussion pages, tagging, email notification, full-text search, user dashboard, localization
- ^ FreeMind support, ACLs, cloning of pages, advanced syntax highlighting using GeSHi, on-the-fly downloading of codeblocks
- ^ Platform to build wiki applications, Forms and Scripting, Multilingual, Database storage, Fulltext search, GraphViz, SVG, Freemind, Lucene, Charting, photo albums, presentations, blogging, calendar, e-mail plugin, virtual wikis, simple table computations, sortable tables, section editing, portlet integration, integrated statistics, XML-RPC API, Tags, PDF/RTF export
- ^ hierarchical pages, revision control, fulltext search, email notification, issue tracker, LaTeX integration
- ^ Qontext is a cloud based applicationReference site
- Wiki.org, What Is Wiki - general Wiki info.
- WikiMatrix.org - Comparison of wikis and features selected by the user.
- Wiki Comparison grid - Comparison of wiki software in a shared and editable Google Spreadsheet
- Wiki Affordances - Examination of the five key affordances that all modern, fully developed wikis share.
Wikis Types Components
- Interwiki links
- Wiki farms
See also Wiki software .NET Java Perl PHP Python Ruby on Rails Other languages
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.