- White-fronted Nunbird
White-fronted Nunbird Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves Order: Piciformes Family: Bucconidae Genus: Monasa Species: M. morphoeus Binomial name Monasa morphoeus
(Hahn & Küster, 1823)
This glossy black, or gray-black bird with a stout, medium red-orange bill is named for the white face markings at the cere, the base of its bill; also the upper throat. It has black eyes and black or gray-black legs.
It occurs in Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela; in southern Central America in Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. The White-fronted Nunbird is found in the southern Amazon Basin with the Amazon River its northern limit, and extends to Maranhão state on the Atlantic coast; in the west, specifically northwest, it is limited eastwards by the lower reaches of the Rio Negro but extends westward towards the eastern Andes foothills. Its range largely skips the Andean cordillera – though it is found in some lower-lying ranges, like the Serranía de las Quinchas in Colombia – and continues west of the Andes into southern Central America to Nicaragua and Honduras.
Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests and subtropical or tropical moist montane forests; while it requires woodland of sufficient extent to occur in any one region, it is not dependent on primary forest and will tolerate some degree of habitat alteration. It is not considered threatened by the IUCN due to its wide range.
- BirdLife International (BLI) (2008). Monasa morphoeus. In: IUCN 2008. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 28 December 2008.
- Laverde-R., Oscar; Stiles, F. Gary & Múnera-R., Claudia (2005): Nuevos registros e inventario de la avifauna de la Serranía de las Quinchas, un área importante para la conservación de las aves (AICA) en Colombia [New records and updated inventory of the avifauna of the Serranía de las Quinchas, an important bird area (IBA) in Colombia]. Caldasia 27(2): 247-265 [Spanish with English abstract]. PDF fulltext
- White-fronted Nunbird videos on the Internet Bird Collection
- White-fronted Nunbird photo gallery VIREO Photo-High Res
- Article and photo links
- Photo-Highest Res-(not a close-up); Article moonbeampublishing
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.