- Nassau Community College
Nassau Community College Motto "Where success starts and continues" Established 1959 Type Co-ed two-year Public Community College President Dr. Donald Astrab Admin. staff 1,500 Undergraduates 22,480 Location Garden City, NY, USA Colors Blue and orange Mascot Lions Affiliations State University of New York system Website www.ncc.edu
Nassau Community College (NCC) is a two-year college. It is located in East Garden City, New York, USA. The school is in Nassau County on Long Island. NCC maintains a nationwide reputation for academic excellence and ease of transferability to four-year institutions.
Created as part of the State University of New York (SUNY) in 1959. When the college opened, on February 1, 1960, it had 632 students, and classes were held in an old courthouse. When Mitchel Air Force Base closed, the college obtained substantial property, including buildings to develop its new campus, on what is now known as Mitchel Field. (The government still retains some housing and other facilities in the vicinity of the Nassau campus.)
Nassau Community College annually awards the largest number of Associate degrees in the State of New York and the third largest number of Associate degrees for two-year public colleges in the United States. The strongest programs at Nassau Community College are mathematics, physics, chemistry, engineering, civil engineering technology, electrical engineering technology
NCC offers the A.A. degree in Liberal Arts focused on humanities and social sciences, specialized A.A. and A.S. transfer degrees, and A.A.S. degrees and certificate programs designed to serve immediate employment goals of students. Intern/work-study opportunities with local, national and international businesses and organizations are available for students in both career and liberal arts programs.
Nassau Community College Cultural Program
This organization within the Nassau Community College arranges theater productions on campus in the NCC College Center Building and also presents "Classics for Kids" which is for both parents and children.
- Bruce Arena, Former coach of the United States men's national soccer team
- Arjun Atwal, Professional golfer
- Brian Baldinger, Radio and TV commentator, author
- Brimstone, professional wrestler and comic book hero
- Steve Buscemi, American actor
- Billy Crystal, comedian
- Steve Israel, United States Congressman
- Lou Michel, author and journalist
- John Moschitta, Jr., famous speed talker
- Eddie Murphy, American actor and comedian
- Elliott Murphy singer/songwriter & writer
- Mark O'Connell (drummer), Drummer of the American band Taking Back Sunday
- Zack Ryder (Matthew Cardona), professional wrestler currently signed to the Raw brand of World Wrestling Entertainment
- Nassau Community College web site.
- Summary information about Nassau Community College
- Classics for Kids list of Press Releases
One Education Drive
Garden City, New York 11530-6793
Units of the State University of New York University centers Other doctoral-
University colleges Technology colleges Community collegesAdirondack • Broome • Cayuga • Clinton • Columbia-Greene • Corning • Dutchess • Erie • Finger Lakes • Fulton-Montgomery • Genesee • Herkimer • Hudson Valley • Jamestown • Jefferson • Mohawk Valley • Monroe • Nassau • Niagara • North Country • Onondaga • Orange • Rockland • Schenectady • Suffolk • Sullivan • Tompkins Cortland • Ulster • Westchester Online program
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.