- Concerts at Knebworth House
The grounds of Knebworth House near the village of Knebworth in Hertfordshire, England has become a major venue for open air rock and pop concerts since 1974 when The Allman Brothers Band attracted 60,000 at the first large concert held at the venue.
Since then, it has been the scene of outdoor extravaganzas featuring Pink Floyd (1975 & 1990), The Rolling Stones & Lynyrd Skynyrd (1976), Genesis (1978, 1990 & 1992), Frank Zappa (1978), Led Zeppelin (1979), Mike Oldfield & The Beach Boys (1980), Cliff Richard (1983 & 1990), Deep Purple (1985), Queen (1986), Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Elton John & Dire Straits (1990), Oasis (1996), Robbie Williams (2003) Sonisphere Festival (2009/2010/2011).
- In 1979, Led Zeppelin performed at Knebworth for two gigs, their first concerts in the United Kingdom since 1975. The band reportedly played to record crowds in excess of 200,000 people, even though official admission records 109,000 people. The New Barbarians, Ron Wood's solo outfit with Keith Richards played at the second show on 11 August.
- The 1985 event was the first UK gig by the re-formed Deep Purple.
- On 9 August 1986, Queen performed their last show with their classic line-up; the band did not perform live again until after the death of lead singer Freddie Mercury, at his tribute concert.
- On 30 June 1990, the park was the location for The Silver Clef Award Winners Concert which was recorded and released on DVD. It included the performance of artists including Pink Floyd, Cliff Richard & The Shadows, Tears for Fears, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Ray Cooper, Robert Plant (with guest Jimmy Page), Status Quo and Phil Collins with Genesis.
- In 1996, Oasis, who were supported by The Charlatans, Kula Shaker, Manic Street Preachers, The Bootleg Beatles, The Chemical Brothers, Ocean Colour Scene and The Prodigy, played two shows with an audience of 150,000 per night. Over 2.6 million people applied for tickets for the shows, making it the largest ever demand for concert tickets in British history.
- In 2003, Robbie Williams performed at Knebworth over a three day period, drawing crowds of over 375,000, and a further 3.5 million who watched live on television and online. This was reputedly the biggest UK pop concert ever and caused a huge traffic jam on the A1(M) as an estimated 130,000 cars tried to reach the venue. A subsequent album, entitled Robbie Williams – Live At Knebworth, was released, and reached number two in the UK charts. A DVD release followed.
- In 2009, Metallica and Linkin Park headlined the first ever UK Sonisphere Festival. Other bands included Nine Inch Nails and Heaven & Hell. The festival took place again in 2010 with Rammstein and Iron Maiden headlining plus performances from other big acts such as Alice Cooper, Iggy and the Stooges and Motley Crue. In 2011, the festival hosted the first UK performance of the Big 4 bands of thrash metal. The event now looks set to be an annual fixture at Knebworth.
Date Name Artists Attendance (approx.) Ref. 20 July 1974 The Bucolic Frolic The Allman Brothers Band, The Doobie Brothers, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, The Van Morrison Show, Tim Buckley 60,000  5 July 1975 Knebworth Park Captain Beefheart, Linda Lewis, The Steve Miller Band, Pink Floyd, Roy Harper 100,000  21 August 1976 Knebworth Fair 10cc, Hot Tuna, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Don Harrison Band, The Rolling Stones, Todd Rundgren 120,000  24 June 1978 A Midsummer Night's Dream Atlanta Rhythm Section, Brand X, Devo, Genesis, Jefferson Starship, Tom Petty, Roy Harper 60,000  9 September 1978 Oh God Not Another Boring Old Knebworth! Dave Edmunds, Frank Zappa, Nick Lowe, Peter Gabriel, The Boomtown Rats, The Tubes, Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders 45,000  4 August 1979 Knebworth Festival Chas & Dave, Commander Cody, Fairport Convention, Led Zeppelin, Marshall Tucker, Southside Johnny, Todd Rundgren 109,000  11 August 1979 Knebworth Festival Chas & Dave, Commander Cody, Led Zeppelin, The New Barbarians, Marshall Tucker, Southside Johnny, Todd Rundgren 60,000  21 June 1980 Knebworth '80 Elkie Brooks, Lindisfarne, Mike Oldfield, The Beach Boys, The Blues Band, Santana 45,000  1981 The Jazz Years BB King, Benny Goodman, Chuck Berry, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald, Jimmy Cliff, Lionel Hampton, Muddy Waters, Sarah Vaughan 50,000  1982 The Jazz Years BB King, Benny Goodman, Chuck Berry, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald, Jimmy Cliff, Lionel Hampton, Muddy Waters, Sarah Vaughan 50,000  August 1982 Greenbelt Festival Adrian Snell, Andy Pratt, Positive Earth, Bryn Haworth, Calvin Seerveld, Jim Wallis, Noel Paul Stookey, Paradise, Patrick Sookhdeo, Maxine and the Majestics, Rez Band, Roger Forster, Servant, Talking Drums, The Barratt Band  August 1983 Greenbelt Festival 100% Proof, Cliff Richard, Jessy Dixon, Mighty Clouds of Joy, Sheila Walsh  22 June 1985 The Return of the Knebworth Fayre Alaska, Blackfoot, Deep Purple, Mama's Boys, Meat Loaf, Mountain, Scorpions, UFO 80,000  9 August 1986 It's a Kind of Magic Belouis Some, Big Country, Queen, Status Quo 120,000  30 June 1990 Knebworth '90 Cliff Richard & The Shadows, Dire Straits, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Genesis, Mark Knopfler, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Robert Plant & Jimmy Page, Status Quo, Tears for Fears, Ray Cooper 120,000  2 August 1992 Genesis at Knebworth Genesis, Lisa Stansfield, The Saw Doctors 90,000  10 August 1996 Oasis Cast, Dreadzone, Kula Shaker, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Manic Street Preachers, The Bootleg Beatles, The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy 165,000  11 August 1996 Oasis Cast, Dreadzone, Kula Shaker, Oasis, Manic Street Preachers, The Charlatans 165,000  11 August 2001 Ministry @ Knebworth 2001 Bent, Jamiroquai, Lo Fidelity Allstars  1 August 2003 Robbie Williams Live at Knebworth Ash, Kelly Osbourne, Moby, Robbie Williams, The Darkness 125,000  2 August 2003 Robbie Williams Live at Knebworth Ash, Kelly Osbourne, Moby, Robbie Williams, The Darkness 125,000  3 August 2003 Robbie Williams Live at Knebworth Ash, Kelly Osbourne, Moby, Robbie Williams, The Darkness 125,000  30 June 2007 Wild In The Country 2007 2ManyDJs, Erol Alkan, Hot Chip, Justice, Sasha & John Digweed, Simian Mobile Disco, Tiga, Underworld 1 August 2009 Sonisphere Festival Airbourne, Alien Ant Farm, Anthrax, Björn Again, Bullet for My Valentine, Heaven & Hell, Linkin Park, Skindred, Soil, Taking Back Sunday, The Used 55,000  2 August 2009 Sonisphere Festival Alice in Chains, Avenged Sevenfold, Buckcherry, Feeder, Killing Joke, Lamb of God, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head, Mastodon, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Paradise Lost, Saxon 55,000  30 July 2010 Sonisphere Festival 65daysofstatic, Alice Cooper, Delain, Europe, Gary Numan, Terrorvision, Turisas 55,000  31 July 2010 Sonisphere Festival Anthrax, Apocalyptica, Corey Taylor, Family Force 5, Fear Factory, Gallows, Lacuna Coil, Mötley Crüe, Papa Roach, Placebo, Rammstein, Sabaton, Skunk Anansie, Soulfly, Therapy? 55,000  1 August 2010 Sonisphere Festival Alice in Chains, Bring Me the Horizon, cKy, The Cult, Dir En Grey, Fightstar, Funeral for a Friend, Henry Rollins, Iggy & The Stooges, Iron Maiden, Madina Lake, Pendulum, Skindred, Slayer 55,000  8 July 2011 Sonisphere Festival Anthrax, Diamond Head, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer  9 July 2011 Sonisphere Festival Architects, Bad Religion, Biffy Clyro, Cavalera Conspiracy, Sylosis, You Me At Six, Weezer  10 July 2011 Sonisphere Festival Arch Enemy, Limp Bizkit, Mastodon, Motörhead, Parkway Drive, Slipknot, Volbeat  6 July 2012 Sonisphere Festival  7 July 2012 Sonisphere Festival  8 July 2012 Sonisphere Festival 
- ^ http://www.knebworthhouse.com/rock/robbiewilliams/intro.htm
- ^ http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/others2003/knebworth/review1.shtml
- ^ a b c d e f g h "Knebworth House Rock Concerts: The Seventies". Archived from the original on 2006-01-03. http://web.archive.org/web/20060103173042/http://www.knebworthhouse.com/rock/the70s.htm. Retrieved 2006-05-28.
- ^ "1974 Knebworth Festival, The Bucolic Frolic @ www.ukrockfestivals.com". http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/kneb74menu.html. Retrieved 2006-06-13.
- ^ "The 1975 Knebworth Concert @ www.ukrockfestivals.com". http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/75-Knebworth-festival.html. Retrieved 2006-06-13.
- ^ "The 1976 Knebworth Concert @ www.ukrockfestivals.com". http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/76-Knebworth-festival.html. Retrieved 2006-06-13.
- ^ "The 1978 Knebworth Concert @ www.ukrockfestivals.com". http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/knebworth-festival1978.html. Retrieved 2006-06-13.
- ^ a b "The 1979 Knebworth Concerts @ www.ukrockfestivals.com". http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/79-Knebworth-festival.html. Retrieved 2006-06-13.
- ^ a b c d e f g "Knebworth House Rock Concerts: The Eighties". Archived from the original on 2006-01-03. http://web.archive.org/web/20060103170525/http://www.knebworthhouse.com/rock/the80s.htm. Retrieved 2006-05-28.
- ^ "www.deep-purple.net". http://www.deep-purple.net/gallery/knebworth/knebworth-1985.htm.
- ^ "www.geocities.com". Archived from the original on 2009-10-26. http://web.archive.org/web/20091026224720/http://geocities.com/ledzeppeliner2003/k86.html.
- ^ a b c d "Knebworth House Rock Concerts: The Nineties". Archived from the original on 2006-01-03. http://web.archive.org/web/20060103175527/http://www.knebworthhouse.com/rock/the90s.htm. Retrieved 2006-05-28.
- ^ "Genesis". http://www.genesis-music.com/. Retrieved 2006-05-28.
- ^ "Virtual Festivals: Ministry @ Knebworth 2001". http://www.virtual-festivals.com/festivals/festival.cfm?eventid=138&dbtable=eventgroup§ion=eventhome. Retrieved 2006-05-28.
- ^ "eFestivals: Knebworth '01". http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/ministry/2001/. Retrieved 2006-05-29.
- ^ a b c "Knebworth House Rock Concerts: Robbie Williams Live at Knebworth". http://www.knebworthhouse.com/rock/robbiewilliams/page1.htm. Retrieved 2006-05-28.
- ^ a b c "Virtual Festivals: Robbie Williams @ Knebworth 2003". http://www.virtual-festivals.com/festivals/festival.cfm?eventid=505&dbtable=eventgroup§ion=lineup&day=0. Retrieved 2006-05-28.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k "Sonisphere Festival". http://uk.sonispherefestival.net/line-up/.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.