- Miss Kentucky USA
For the state pageant affiliated with Miss America, see Miss Kentucky.
The Miss Kentucky USA competition is the pageant that selects the representative for the state of Kentucky in the Miss USA pageant. The current director for the Miss Kentucky USA and Miss Kentucky Teen USA titles is Connie Clark Harrison. Mrs. Harrison is former Miss Kentucky USA 1976 who was the only representative for Kentucky to win the Miss Congeniality award at the national level.
Three Miss Kentucky USA titleholders have also held the Miss Kentucky Teen USA title and competed at Miss Teen USA. Two Miss Kentucky USA titleholders have also competed at Miss America, with one representing Wyoming.
In 2006, it was reported that Miss Kentucky USA 2002, Elizabeth Arnold was in a relationship with celebrity Nick Lachey. That same year Tara Conner became the first Miss Kentucky USA to win the Miss USA title, putting Kentucky in the top five for the second consecutive year, after Kristen Johnson placed 2nd runner-up in 2005. She later came under intense scrutiny when it was revealed that she had been drinking underage, tested positive for the use of cocaine, and kissed Miss Teen USA Katie Blair, among other things. Conner was allowed to keep her title, but was ordered into rehab for one month. After her rehab session she resumed her reign until her year was completed.
In 2008, Miss Kentucky USA Alysha Harris was involved in a scandal involving racy photos, in which she was photographed dancing in a sexually suggestive manner with NFL's New England Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss.
- Winners: Tara Conner (2006)
- Second runners-up: Kristen Johnson (2005)
- Third runners-up: Julie Andrus (1965)
- Fourth runners-up: Johanna Reid (1964), Patricia Barnstable (1971), Lisa Devillez (1980), Kristina Chapman (1982), Maria Montgomery (2009)
- Top 6: Tiffany Tenfelde (1990), Angela Hines (1992)
- Top 12: Carol Wallace (1975), Mitzi Jones (1995)
- Top 15: Mary Ann Stice (1953), Marcia Chumbler (1961)
- Miss Congeniality: June Pinkley (1968), Connie Clark (1976), Kia Hampton (2011)
- Miss Photogenic: Robin Overby (1985)
- Best State Costume: Charlesy Gulick (1974)
Year Name Hometown Age1 Placement at Miss USA Special awards at Miss USA Notes 2011 Kia Hampton Louisville 21 Miss Congeniality Later became Pussycat Dolls member 2010 Kindra Clark Mt. Washington 19 2009 Maria Montgomery Danville 19 4th runner-up 2008 Alysha Harris Carrollton 20 First African American woman to win the state pageant 2007 Michelle Banzer Louisville 24 First minority woman to win state pageant 2006 Tara Conner Russell Springs 20 Winner
Previously Miss Kentucky Teen USA 2002 (2nd runner-up & Best in Swimsuit at Miss Teen USA 2002) and 4th Runner up at Miss Universe 2006
2005 Kristen Johnson Slaughters 23 2nd runner-up Previously Miss Kentucky Teen USA 2000 (2nd runner-up & Miss Photogenic at Miss Teen USA 2000) 2004 Lauren Stengel Louisville 22 2003 Lori Mitchell Scottsville 21 2002 Elizabeth Arnold Columbia Previously Miss Kentucky Teen USA 1999 2001 Jo Pritchard Hardin 2000 Jolene Youngster Glasgow 1999 Lori Menshouse Ashland Previously Miss Kentucky 1997 1998 Nancy Bradley Franklin 1997 Rachyl Hoskins Liberty 22 1996 Lorie West Campbellsville 22 1995 Mitzi Jones White Plains Semi-finalist, Finishing in 8th Place 1994 Kim Buford Paducah 1993 Karen Gibson Kevil 1992 Angela Hines Maysville Finalist, Finishing in 5th place 1991 Susan Farris Benton 1990 Tiffany Tenfelde Lakeside Park Finalist, Finishing in 6th place 1989 Veronica Hensley Danville 1988 Suzanne Pitman Murray 1987 Beth Clark Mayfield 1986 Jackie Taylor Paducah 1985 Robin Overby Calvert City Miss Photogenic 1st runner up at Miss World USA 1979 1984 Tammy Melendez Murray 1983 Lee Ann Austin Benton 1982 Kristina Chapman Owensboro 19 4th runner-up 1981 Denise Gibbs Paducah 1980 Lisa Devillez Owensboro 4th runner-up 1979 Linda Passmore Hopkinsville 1978 Linda Woodruff Louisville 1977 Sandy Smith Princeton 1976 Connie Clark Benton Miss Congeniality Current director of the Miss Kentucky USA and Miss Kentucky Teen USA pageants under her married name, Connie Clark-Harrison 1975 Carol June Wallace Somerset Semi-finalist Later Miss Wyoming 1976, mother of Miss Kentucky 2002, Mary Catherine Correll 1974 Charlesy Gulick Best State Costume 1973 Nancy Coplen 1972 Tamara Branstetter 1971 Patricia Barnstable Louisville 4th runner-up 1970 Joanna Smith Morgantown 1969 Regina Pryor 1968 June Pinkley Miss Congeniality 1967 Debbie Dibble 1966 Jennifer Burcham 1965 Julie Andrus 3rd runner-up 1964 Johanna Reid 4th runner-up 1963 Mary Ann Arnold 1962 Sally Margaret Carter Lowes Semi-finalist 1961 Marcia Chumbler Mayfield Semi-finalist competed in the 1962 Miss Dixie Pageant 1960 Barbara Joan Lovins 1959 Sherree Owens 1958 Shannon Beasley 1955-57 Did Not Compete 1954 Nikki Horner 1953 Mary Stice Semi-finalist 1952 Jean Tingle
1 Age at the time of the Miss USA pageant
- ^ STAR'S WORLD EXCLUSIVE: THE FATHER OF NICK LACHEY'S NEW GIRL SAYS SHE AND NICK ARE "VERY CLOSE", Star Magazine (accessed 6 May 2006)
- ^ Nick Lachey: poster boy for the brokenhearted, Houston Chronicle, 28 April 2006 (accessed 6 May 2006)
- ^ Piazza, Jo. "Queen is way out of line". NY Daily News. Archived from the original on 2007-01-28. http://web.archive.org/web/20070128220604/http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/480614p-404432c.html. Retrieved 2007-10-27.
- ^ "Randy Moss Drafts Wide Receiver - TMZ.com". http://www.tmz.com/2008/05/05/randy-moss-drafts-wide-receiver/.
- ^ "C.J.: Randy Moss' naughty dance moves photographed at Derby party". Minneapolis Star-Tribune. 2008-05-07. http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/18731924.html?page=1&c=y. Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- ^ Clarke, Norm (2008-05-08). "The Scene & Heard". Las Vegas Review-Journal.
- ^ Shastry, Tejas (2007-03-20). "Cardinal to compete for Miss USA crown". The Louisville Cardinal. http://media.www.louisvillecardinal.com/media/storage/paper964/news/2007/03/20/News/Cardinal.To.Compete.For.Miss.Usa.Crown-2780816.shtml. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- ^ "Home state girls hard to find". Kingman Daily Miner. 1976-09-10. p. 7. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=GiIPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4YIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5608,5398435&dq=miss-nevada+miss-usa&hl=en.
Kentucky pageantry Miss USA state pageants
Alabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • District of Columbia • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • WyomingCategories:
- Miss USA state pageants
- Kentucky culture
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.