- David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf
David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf Studio album by David Bowie with the Philadelphia Orchestra Released 12 May 1978 Recorded December 1977 at RCA Studio B, New York Genre Classical Length 44:18 Label RCA Producer Jay David Saks
David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf (also known as Peter and the Wolf) is classical music album containing David Bowie's narration of the eponymous composition by Sergei Prokofiev . The music is performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy. The album was released in May 1978 on RCA Records. It reached number 136 on the US Pop Albums chart.
Bowie was RCA's third choice to undertake the narration for Peter and the Wolf behind Alec Guinness and Peter Ustinov, who had both turned the album down. Bowie has since said that it was a Christmas present for his son.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Rolling Stone (favourable)
Stephen Demorest, reviewing the album Rolling Stone at the time of its release, describes Bowie's involvement as "engaging and benevolent". Demorest finishes his review by saying Bowie had "found his most charming guise since Hunky Dory." Joe Viglione for Allmusic finds the album as "charming" and Bowie's performance as "splendid" and describes the Philadelphia Orchestra's involvement as "first rate". He finished by saying it was "A remarkable and well-crafted project."
- Peter and the Wolf, opus 67 (Sergei Prokofiev) – 27:08
- Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, opus 34 (Benjamin Britten) – 17:10
The album has been reissued a number of times on Compact Disc with varying extra tracks and album covers. The most recent was released in 2004 with a cover photo of Bowie from his Thin White Duke period and Camille Saint-Saëns' The Carnival of the Animals as extra track.
- Jay David Saks – producer
- Paul Goodman – engineer
- J.J. Stelmach – art direction
- Mary Campbell – liner notes
- Tom Kelly – cover photo
- ^ Pegg, Nicholas (2006) . The Complete David Bowie. London: Reynolds & Hearn. p. 390. ISBN 1-905287-15-1
- ^ "Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r2497. Retrieved 31 January 2010.
- ^ a b Seabrook, Thomas Jermome (2008). Bowie in Berlin: A New Career in a New Town. London: Jawbone Press. p. 197. ISBN 978-1-906002-08-4
- ^ a b c Miglione, Joe. "Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf > Review". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r2497. Retrieved 31 January 2010.
- ^ a b Demorest, Stephen (29 June 1978). "Various Artists: David Bowie Narrates Peter And The Wolf ". Rolling Stone (268). http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/davidbowie/albums/album/89923/review/6211313/david_bowie_narrates_peter_and_the_wolf. Retrieved 31 January 2010.
- ^ "David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf". illustrated-db-discography.nl. http://www.illustrated-db-discography.nl/Guest.htm. Retrieved 10 March 2009.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.