- Decanter (magazine)
Decanter Editor-in-chief Guy Woodward  Categories Wine magazines Frequency Monthly Publisher IPC Media Year founded 1975 Country United Kingdom, United States Language English Website www.decanter.com
Decanter is an up market magazine on wine and spirits, published in over 90 countries on a monthly basis. The magazine content includes news from the industry, vintage guides and wine recommendations. Decanter organizes the annual Decanter World Wine Awards.
Decanter employs a 1 to 5 star wine ratings system to assess the quality of the wines it reviews. This system was popularized by Michael Broadbent in his Great Vintage Wine Book.
Decanter's online arm, decanter.com, features wine news and wine recommendations although the site covers other aspects of wine including vintage guides, a learning guide, an online archive for the magazine, auction prices and a classified section called Shopping Mall.
- Decanter Fine Wine Encounters: The Encounter is a weekend of wine tasting featuring 100 producers from around the world as well as more specific, producer-led Masterclasses. It is held at the five-star Landmark Hotel in central London every November.
- Regional Decanter Fine Wine Encounters: These are the equivalent of the November Fine Wine Encounters, specialising in a particular wine region such as Bordeaux. They are one-day events also held at the Landmark Hotel and occur in the months of February and May. They feature 100 invited producers from the specific region in question and three expert Masterclasses during the day.
- Decanter City Events: These are after-work tasting evenings held in the heart of London’s affluent financial district. The events were launched in 2006 with a Rioja Tasting at Lloyds of London.
- Decanter Trade Events: Wine buyers, merchants, sommeliers and journalists attend these trade tastings in venues such as The Institute of Directors. Decanter Trade events were launched with a Friuli tasting in 2005.
- Decanter Dinners: These are exclusive dinners held in some of the most renowned restaurants in London and the UK. Previous events include a Domaines Barons de Rothschild-Chateau Lafite dinner, held at Tom Aikens, and a charity gala wine dinner hosted by the Royal Opera House, in Covent Garden.
Decanter World Wine Awards
Decanter World Wine Awards was founded in 2004 and gained a reputation as one of the world’s most respected and influential wine competitions. An expert panel of tasters from around the world, chaired by Steven Spurrier, judge wines on a regional basis reflecting variety, style and retail price. The Awards are one of the most important competitions in the UK wine trade. The other main ones being the International Wine and Spirit Competition and International Wine Challenge.
Decanter Men/ Women of the Year
- 1984: Serge Hochar of Château Musar, Lebanon
- 1985: Laura and Corinne Mentzelopoulos of Château Margaux, Bordeaux
- 1986: Marchese Piero Antinori, Florence
- 1987: Alexis Lichine, Bordeaux
- 1988: Max Schubert, Australia
- 1989: Robert Mondavi, California
- 1990: Prof Émile Peynaud, Bordeaux
- 1991: Ignacio Domecq, Jerez
- 1992: André Tchelistcheff, California
- 1993: Michael Broadbent, MW, London
- 1994: May-Eliane de Lencquesaing, Bordeaux
- 1995: Hugh Johnson, OBE, London
- 1996: Georg Riedel, Austria
- 1997: Len Evans, OBE AO, Australia
- 1998: Angelo Gaja, Piedmont
- 1999: Jancis Robinson, OBE, MW, London
- 2000: Paul Draper, California
- 2001: Jean-Claude Rouzaud, Champagne
- 2002: Miguel A. Torres, Penedès
- 2003: Jean-Michel Cazes, Bordeaux
- 2004: Brian Croser, Adelaide Hills
- 2005: Ernst Loosen, Mosel
- 2006: Marcel Guigal, Rhône
- 2007: Anthony Barton of Château Léoville-Barton, Bordeaux
- 2008: Christian Moueix, Bordeaux
- 2009: Nicolás Catena, Argentina
- 2010: Aubert de Villaine of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Burgundy
- ^ "Guy Woodward appointed editor of Decanter". Press Office Release. IPC Media. 2007-03-05. http://www.ipcmedia.com/press/guy_woodward_appointed_editor_of_decanter_press_111694.html. Retrieved 2007-03-10.
- ^ ipcmedia.com Decanter media info
- ^ Lechmere, Adam, Decanter.com (2007-02-27). "Barton named Decanter Man of the Year". http://www.decanter.com/news/111189.html.
- ^ Lechmere, Adam, Decanter.com (2008-03-04). "Moueix named Decanter Man of the Year". http://www.decanter.com/news/196000.html.
- ^ Rosen, Maggie, Decanter.com (February 24, 2009). "Decanter Man of the Year 2009: Nicolás Catena". http://www.decanter.com/news/277532.html.
- ^ Lechmere, Adam, Decanter.com (March 1, 2010). "Aubert de Villaine: Decanter Man of the Year". http://www.decanter.com/news/295444.html.
Time Warner Inc. Board of directors Home Box Office Time Inc.MagazinesAll You · Coastal Living · Cooking Light · Entertainment Weekly · Essence · Fortune · Golf · Health · InStyle · Life.com · Money · People · People en Español · People StyleWatch · Real Simple · Southern Living · Sports Illustrated · Sports Illustrated Kids · Sunset · Time · Time for Kids · This Old House25 Beautiful Homes · Amateur Gardening · Amateur Photographer · Angler's Mail · Beautiful Kitchens · Chat · Chat - It's Fate · Chat passion · Country Homes & Interiors · Country Life · Cycle Sport · Cycling Active · Cycling Weekly · Decanter · essentials · European Boatbuilder · Eventing · Golf Monthly · Homes & Gardens · Horse · Horse & Hound · IBI · Ideal Home · InStyle · Livingetc · Look · Marie Claire (UK) · Motor Boat & Yachting · Motor Boats Monthly · Mountain Bike Rider · Mousebreaker · NME · Now · Nuts · Practical Boat Owner · Pick Me Up · Rugby World · Shooting Times · Soaplife · Sporting Gun · Superyacht Business · SuperYacht World · The Field · Shooting Gazette · TrustedReviews · TV & Satellite Week · TV easy · TVTimes · Uncut · VolksWorld · What Digital Camera · Wallpaper · What's on TV · Woman · woman&home · Woman's Own · Woman's Weekly · Yachting Monthly · Yachting World · World SoccerOther Turner Broadcasting Warner Bros.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.