- Nigeria national rugby union team
Nigeria Union Nigeria Rugby Football Federation Nickname(s) Black Stalions First international Nigeria 12-111 Zimbabwe
(1 August 1987)
Largest win Nigeria 51-0 Benin
(10 October 2003)
Largest defeat Nigeria 12-111 Zimbabwe
(1 August 1987)
The Nigeria national rugby union team represent Nigeria in the sport of rugby union. Nigeria have thus far not qualified for a Rugby World Cup, but have competed in qualifying tournaments. Nigeria played their first international against Zimbabwe in 1 August 1987, losing by 111-12 in Nairobi. Their greatest success has been in the 2007 Castel Beer Trophy, where they beat Burkina Faso in the final of the north section.
Nigeria tried to qualify for the first time for the 2007 Rugby World Cup, but lost to Senegal (6-48) and Cameroon (8-18), and were eliminated. They also missed the presence at the 2011 Rugby World Cup, after losing to Cameroon (6-26), in the pre-qualifier.
World Cup record
- 1987 - No qualifying tournament held
- 1991 - 2003 - Did not enter
- 2007 - 2011 - Did not qualify
Rugby 7s participation
- The Black Stallions (as they are nicknamed) regularly compete in 7s tournaments across the UK including Manchester, Newquay, Rugby rocks and the West country 7s, however they have also attended the International Invitational 7s in Dubai for the last few years.
- More recently they participated in the C.A.R (Confederation of Africaine Rugby) in Marrakesh, Morocco on 24th-25th September 2011. In the pool stages they defeated Senegal and Burkina Faso but were beaten by hosts Morocco, however they still progressed to the semi finals where they were to face regular IRB participants, Tunisia.
- They were beaten in the semi finals by a very organised Tunisian team, however pride was redeemed in the 3rd/ 4th place playoff against Ivory Coast, where they came from behind in the second half to force the game into sudden death extra time where a last minute try gave the victory to the Nigerian team. This has now meant they have qualified for the All Africa 7s tournament taking place in 2012 which has the potential of qualifying for the Rugby World Cup 7s in Russia in 2013. "One team, one dream".
- Rugby union in Nigeria
- 2007 Rugby World Cup - Africa qualification
International Rugby Union Competitions WorldwideMenWomen Multi-sport events ContinentalAfricaAfrica Cup · CAR Development TrophyAsiaAsian Five Nations · Asian Sevens SeriesEuropeOceaniaSouth America Defunct This Rugby Union article about a national team is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.