Maxthon 3 displaying Wikipedia page on Windows 7
Developer(s) Maxthon International Limited Stable release ) [+/−](17 November 2011 Preview release +/−](October 2011, 27 ) [ Operating system Microsoft Windows Size 25 MB Type Web browser License Freeware Website maxthon.com
Maxthon has developed a growing user base since its initial release in 2003, especially in China, so that in 2006, Maxthon 2.0 gained support of several sponsors. In January 2006, Maxthon developers partnered with Microsoft in its booth at the Consumer Electronics Show.
According to Maxthon International CEO Ming Jie "Jeff" Chen, Maxthon was based on MyIE, which was originally created by Changyou, a Chinese programmer who wanted to customize the Internet Explorer web browser. Changyou posted most of the source code for MyIE on his Bulletin board system before leaving the project in 2000. Chen continued developing MyIE and in 2002 released a new version, MyIE2. MyIE2 grew quickly, with users around the world contributing plugins and skins, and assisting with debugging. It was renamed Maxthon in 2003.
Chen founded Mysoft International Limited in Hong Kong in 1999 to distribute the MyIE browser. In 2005 the company received seed funding from venture capital firm WI Harper Group and Morten Lund, the first Skype investor, and Chen moved the company to Beijing. In 2006 Maxthon received further investment from the US-based venture capital firm Charles River Ventures.
On April 10, 2007, TechCrunch reported that Google had invested at least US$1 million in Maxthon; this was denied the following day by Chen. However, in an interview with the Chinese portal Sina.com, Chen did not rule out future "co-operation" between the two businesses.
Maxthon was one of the twelve browsers Microsoft presented in 2010 at BrowserChoice.eu, a website that allows users of Microsoft Windows residing in the European Economic Area to choose which default web browser they would like to use on their computer.
- Tabbed document interface
- Saves open tabs in case of program shutdown or system crash
- Undo for any tabs accidentally closed
- AD Hunter - an ad-blocking utility that blocks pop-ups, Web banner and floating ads in webpages
- Adobe Flash, Java applet and ActiveX blocker
- Customizable tabs and interface
- Programmable mouse gestures and mouse chording
- External utility bar - toolbar that allows you to open third-party programs
- RSS reader
- Supports many Internet Explorer plugins as well as plugins of its own
- Partial Gecko engine support with the use of a third-party program
- A search toolbar with 8 different search engines (user extensible)
- Automatic updating service
- Groups - the ability to bookmark & open multiple pages simultaneously
- URL aliases - open URLs by just typing a word in the address bar
- Simple collector - a small notepad-like utility, used to collect any text from web pages. You can write scripts in it and run them in the current web page
- Integrated web services - user extensible, but by default includes translators, Google's cached version of pages, Whois and anonymous web proxies
- Enhanced security - Even if a security hole has not yet been corrected in the underlying web rendering engine, Maxthon browser prevent most of the well-known exploits to run.
Maxthon version 1, which continued version 0 of MyIE2, was an Internet Explorer shell that implemented a tabbed browser using the Trident layout engine which Microsoft introduced with Internet Explorer 4. As such, version 1 was compatible with every version of Windows from Windows 95 to Windows 7. Development of version 1 stopped in 2010 with so-called Maxthon (Classic), version 184.108.40.206; earlier releases are available from Maxthon,, and version 220.127.116.11, which fixed a bug in selecting the default search engine, is still available at other download sites.
"Classic Version Features: Use less system resources, more stable, better compatibility, Mouse Gesture, Super Drag&Drop, Ad Hunter, Undo List, Simple Skin Support, Plugins Support..."
The latest release of the Classic Version is 18.104.22.168. It functions properly with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8 on Microsoft Windows XP Home, XP Professional, all releases of Windows Vista and Windows 7.
There are a number of add-ons available for Maxthon Classic on their dedicated add-on site and even more are available on their discussion forums. Specific threads may provide direct download links as well. Some add-ons are build specific, but when that is the case, a clear indication of compatibility can often be found. Downloads of earlier releases are available for testing and/or general use should issues with the latest releases arise.
The latest release version of Maxthon 22.214.171.1240 is currently available for download on the official website.
New features include:
- New layout
- New customization options
- New default icons
- Maxthon Security Updates
- Multi-user support
- Content blocker
- Improved Performance & Stability
- Maxthon Smart Accelerator
- Magic Fill
- Link validator
- Improved favicon support
- Improved favorite search
- Favorite + Feed manager
- Automatic online favorite & feed synchronization
- Page find tool
- Plugin installer
- Improved proxy support
- Tab manager
- Frameless mode
- New Configuration Interface
- Ad Hunter
- Online Favorites
- Trident and Webkit engines
- Muting a page
- Magic Fill
- URL Safety
- Video Popup/Save buttons
- Multi Search
- Mouse Gesture
- Super Drag & Drop
- Smart Address Bar
- Private Browsing
- New Work Space Window
- Split Screen
- Snap feature(Screen capture with tools)
- Rss Feed Reader(Beta)
- Online Notepad
- Translation Tool
- Sync System(Now options & Quick Access only)
- Customize UI
- URL Short Key & URL Alias
- Enhanced Resource Sniffer
- New App Frame
- Group Feature(add all tabs to favorites/groups)
- Sync Center
- Subscribing AdHunter Rules and Global Rules
- Spell Checker
- Auto Refresh
- Calendar View For History
- Allowed to share AdHunter rules with other Maxthon users
- Reader mode
As of 30 June 2011, it is at version Maxthon browser (126.96.36.1990.beta)
Maxthon Mobile for Android 1.x
Maxthon recently announced a new version of Maxthon for Android users, which has features like:
- RSS Feed Reader (Widget)
- A downloader with the ability to resume
- Super Gestures
- ^ Maxthon Changelog
- ^ "Maxthon 3.0 Browser". Maxthon International Limited. http://go.maxthon.com/web/mx3/welcome/overview.htm. Retrieved 8 February 2011. "The only browser designed for the whole web. Dual display engines (powered by Trident and Webkit) and [~snip~]"
- ^ Olsen, Stefaie (22 June 2006). "Maxthon: China's hip browser". CNet News. CBS Interactive. http://news.com.com/Maxthon+Chinas+hip+browser/2100-1032_3-6086632.html. Retrieved 1 January 2008.
- ^ "Maxthon Browser Exhibits with Microsoft at CES in Las Vegas". Newswire Today PR. Limelon. 4 January 2006. http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/2744/. Retrieved 8 February 2006.
- ^ Shankland, Stephen (21 April 2008). "Webware 100 winner: Maxthon". CNET. CBS Interactive. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13546_109-9913352-29.html. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- ^ "Webware 100 winner: Maxthon". CNET. CBS Interactive. 19 May 2009. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13546_109-10236948-29.html. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- ^ a b Lipskas, Vygantas (2011-10-24). "Interview With Jeff Chen, The CEO Of Maxthon Ltd.". FavBrowser.com. http://www.favbrowser.com/interview-with-jeff-chen-the-ceo-of-maxthon-ltd/. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ "General FAQs - Maxthon Wiki". Maxthon International Limited. http://wiki.maxthon.com/index.php/General_FAQs#What_is_MyIE.3F. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ "MyIE Original Visual C++ Source Code Download...". http://www.angelfire.com/fang/myiesource/. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ "About Maxthon". http://www.maxthon.com/about-us/. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ a b Lu, Gang (31 December 2006). "Maxthon Goes to Global Market - A New Way to Surf The World in 2007". Mobinode. http://www.mobinode.com/?p=122. Retrieved 1 January 2008.
- ^ "MyIE Tabbed Browser". Mysoft International Limited. http://www.myie2.com/. Retrieved 2011-11-12. "Copyright © 1999-2011 Mysoft International Limited"
- ^ "Angle Subscriber Exclusive: WI Harper & Skype Co-Founder To Invest In Chinese Browser/Search Play". Pacific Epoch. 2005-05-30. http://pacificepoch.com/china-investment-research/articles/angle-subscriber-exclusive-wi-harper-skype-co-founder-to-invest-in-chinese-. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ Schonfeld, Erick; Yen, Yi-Wyn. "It's a Web, Web, Web 2.0 world". CNNMoney.com. Cable News Network. http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/biz2/0707/gallery.web_world.biz2/10.html. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ Arrington, Michael (10 April 2007). "Google Takes Partial Ownership Of Maxthon Browser". TechCrunch. http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/04/10/google-takes-partial-ownership-of-maxthon-browser/. Retrieved 1 January 2008.
- ^ "Maxthon founder:Google don't own our share". 11 April 2007. http://ya.iyee.cn/2007/04/maxthon-foundergoogle-dont-own-our.html. Retrieved 1 January 2008.
- ^ "Maxthon浏览器创始人否认谷歌入股传言". Sina.com. 10 May 2007. http://tech.sina.com.cn/i/2007-04-10/17481458287.shtml. Retrieved 1 January 2008.
- ^ BBC, Microsoft offers browser choices to Europeans, 1 March 2010
- ^ Spanbauer, Scott; Bass, Steve (2005-01-03). "The New Web Challengers". PCWorld. http://www.pcworld.com/article/118794-3/the_new_web_challengers.html. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ a b "Maxthon (Classic) specifications". CNET.com. CBS Interactive. http://download.cnet.com/Maxthon-Classic/3010-2356_4-10136776.html. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ "Maxthon Browser 1.x Series". Maxthon International Limited. http://dl.maxthon.com/mx1/. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ "Download Free Maxthon, Maxthon 188.8.131.52". Brothersoft. http://www.brothersoft.com/maxthon-59753.html. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ "Maxthon (Classic) 184.108.40.206 (Windows)". ZDNet. CBS Interactive. http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=1652821. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- ^ Addons for Maxthon 1.x and 2.x
- ^ Maxthon Forum
- ^ More Options 1.6.x on Maxthon forum
- ^ Maxthon Browser changelog
- ^ http://maxthon.com/maxthon-mobile
Web browsers DesktopTrident-basedGecko-basedAmiZilla · AT&T Pogo · Beonex Communicator · Camino · Classilla · Conkeror · Epic · Epiphany (versions before 2.28) · Flock (versions before 3.0) · Galeon · Ghostzilla · GNU IceCat · Gnuzilla · Gollum browser · K-Meleon · Kazehakase · Kirix Strata · Kylo · Mozilla · Firefox (2 · 3 · 3.5 · 3.6 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · Mobile) · Netscape (version 6 · 7 · 8 · 9) · SeaMonkey · Sleipnir · Swiftfox · Swiftweasel · TenFourFox · Timberwolf · Wyzo · XeroBank BrowserWebKit-basedPresto-basedJava-basedKHTML-basedTasman-basedText-basedOther MobileWebKit-basedPresto-basedOthers Offline readers Features Web standards Related articlesItalics indicate software no longer in development.
Category · Commons
News aggregators Client
softwareStandaloneWeb browsersEmail clients
articlesItalics indicate discontinued software.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.