- Medial circumflex femoral artery
Artery: Medial circumflex femoral artery The profunda femoris artery, femoral artery and their major branches - right thigh, anterior view. Circumflex femoral arteries labeled. Latin arteria circumflexa femoris medialis Gray's subject #157 630 Supplies thigh Source deep femoral artery, femoral artery
The medial circumflex femoral artery (internal circumflex artery, medial femoral circumflex artery) is an artery in the upper thigh that helps supply blood to the neck of the femur.
The medial femoral circumflex artery arises from the medial and posterior aspect of the profunda femoris artery, and winds around the medial side of the femur, passing first between the pectineus and iliopsoas muscles, and then between the obturator externus and the adductor brevis muscles.
The medial femoral circumflex artery may occasionally arise directly from the femoral artery.
At the upper border of the adductor brevis it gives off two branches:
- The ascending branch
- The descending branch descends beneath the adductor brevis, to supply it and the adductor magnus; the continuation of the vessel passes backward and divides into superficial, deep, and acetabular branches.
- The superficial branch
- The deep branch
- The acetabular branch
- Lateral femoral circumflex artery
- Duke Orthopedics medial_femoral_circumflex_artery
- medial+circumflex+femoral+artery at eMedicine Dictionary
- SUNY Figs 12:04-06 - "Arteries of the lower extremity shown in association with major landmarks."
This article was originally based on an entry from a public domain edition of Gray's Anatomy. As such, some of the information contained within it may be outdated.
List of arteries of lower limbs / EIA (TA A12.2.16, GA 6.623) Inferior epigastriccremasteric ♂ / round ligament ♀ Deep circumflex iliacascending branch of deep circumflex iliac Femoral
(EIA after IL)superficial epigastric · superficial circumflex iliac · superficial external pudendal · deep external pudendal (anterior scrotal ♂)medial circumflex femoral (ascending, superficial, deep, acetabular) · lateral circumflex femoral (descending, transverse, ascending) · perforating
(FA after AH)Genicularno major branchesArchesCategories:
- Cardiovascular system stubs
- Arteries of the lower limb
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.