- Channel South
Channel South Launched 10 November 2008 Owned by City Channel Picture format 625 Lines PAL (analogue)
16:9/4:3, 576i SDTV (digital),
Audience share N/A (2009, ) Country Ireland Sister channel(s) City Channel Dublin Timeshift service Not known Website www.channelsouth.ie Availability Terrestrial Saorview Not available Satellite Not available Cable UPC Ireland Channel 107
Channel South was an Irish television channel, operated by City Channel, transmitting 24 hour local programming to Cork, Limerick, and parts of Kerry, Waterford, Clare and South Tipperary since November 2008.
Included in the station's programmes is an evening show called South Tonight presented by local celebrities.
Channel South' is a cable television channel operating in Cork, Limerick, and parts of County Kerry, County Waterford, County Clare and South Tipperary since November 2008, Republic of Ireland. It has received a licenced by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland for cable and MMDS operation, and have secured carriage on the formerly NTL owned digital cable system in Dublin. It follows on from the first attempt at a commercial local television network in Ireland and indeed the first attempt at a commercial cable-only channel in the country by its sister City Channel.
In November 2008 the channel was added to UPC Ireland's electronic programme guide on Channel 107, and programming began on 10 November 2008.
The company, which is headed by former Radio Telefís Éireann (RTÉ) presenter David Harvey, also opened City Channels for Galway and Waterford in 2006, and this channel in time - together with City Channels Dublin and Waterford will have about 85% shared content with the rest being local content with Channel South operating 24 hours a day. Harvey also is a shareholder in independent local radio station Dublin's Country Mix 106.8.
- Behind the Scenes - A sneak peek into the lives of some of the biggest acts in the world of music, both past and present
- Channel South News - Every hour from 16:00, from the region. Breaking stories, regional updates, sport and weather
- Finishing Touches - Designing your home interiors to create a fabulous, stylish and quality look with Kathy Hoffman
- Golf Ireland - Suzanne Coyne interviews some familiar faces on the golf scene, learn how to improve your golf swing and lower that handicap
- House Fixer - Features suppliers and trade professionals who show how to improve your home and the vast amount of products available on the market by Barry Reamonn
- On the Menu - Johnny McCormack explores the gastronomic delights of the southern region ranging from star-rated restaurants to Chip shops
- Oto Polska (This is Poland) - Produced by popular Polish news magazine Wiadomoci and uses material from the magazine and TVP news programmes such as Panorama and Teleexpress. Each week the programme covers political issues, the economy, social matters, cultural events, sports and anything of public interest. Now that Poland has entered the European Union, the programme covers more and more international news affecting Polish people
- Polska Extra - A Polish news insert featuring items of interest to the Polish community in Ireland, presented by Izabela Chudzicka
- Property Show - New homes, second hand properties, apartments and investment opportunities all feature. Property Show is presented by property expert Bernice Harrison
- Show Me The Music - All the latest music gossip and biggest hits presented by Ben Murray
- Synergy - Whatever is happening in the world of fashion and interviews with the celebrities, behind the scenes at VIP Events and so on presenter Rachel Wyse
- The Neil Prendeville Interview - Based at his new 'cool to be seen' boardwalk restaurant, Neil chats with politicians, sports stars, musicians and local people with a story to tell
- Weekend Sport View - Mike McCartney previews and comments on the sport fixtures of the weekend and meets up with the Munster sport celebrities
- South Tonight - Channel South's daily magazine programme with Martina O’Donoghue (otherwise of C103 radio in Cork) with features from across the south region with features on fashion, finance, music and chat and included a 7-minute news and sport bulletin. Was broadcast nightly on weekdays at 19:00 and again at 21:00, and with weekend repeats. The programme came to an end in August 2009
- The Media Show - (from sister channel City Channel) - was the first ever Irish television programme focused on media and media-related topics. The Media Show was a half-hour look at advertising, marketing, public-relations, television, radio, press and new media. Alex Gibson, already well known in advertising and media circles for his "Persuaders" show on Dublin City Anna Livia Radio (103.2FM), presents the show which was designed to 'review and inform'). The Media Show ended in 2009
- Skooter Girl (from sister channel City Channel) - 'In the city coverage of the hottest venues and chat to some of the more unusual characters that create the energy and buzz in the City Centre... From clubs to gigs to your private birthday party'
- Media in Ireland
- List of Irish television channels
- BCI contract award
- City Channel Official website
- Channel South Official Website
- City Channel wins licence to broadcast in South Belfast Telegraph, 12 September 2008
Television in IrelandTerrestrialCable/SatelliteLocal/CommunityInternetVideo on Demand (VoD)RTÉ Player, TG4 Player, 3PlayerFuture/PlannedDefunct Channels with Irish advertising
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.